Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-31-2016, 11:37 AM   #57
bologdl

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT RS
Found this bulletin which in my opinion shows all the GM Vehicles that are sharing the same part number Timing Chains. Some customers vehicle models listed are fortunate to be getting extended Timing Chain warranties.

Engine

Bulletin 12-06-01-009F

Information on High Feature V6 Timing Chain Kits
and Chain Guide Replacements, DTCs P0008, P0009, P0016, P0017, P0018 and/or
P0019

2007 Buick Allure (Canada) (RPOs LY7)
2007-2012 Buick LaCrosse (RPOs LY7, LLT, LF1)
2008-2012 Buick Enclave (RPOs LY7, LLT) Extended TC Warranty
2007-2011 Cadillac STS (RPOs LY7, LLT) Extended TC Warranty
2007-2012 Cadillac SRX (RPOs LY7, LAU, LF1, LFX) Extended TC Warranty
2008-2012 Cadillac CTS (RPOs LY7, LP1, LLT, LF1)
Extended TC Warranty
2008-2012 Chevrolet Captiva (RPO LY7)
2008-2012 Chevrolet Equinox (RPOs LY7, LF1, LFW)
2008-2012 Chevrolet Malibu (RPO LY7)
2009-2012 Chevrolet Traverse (RPO LLT) Extended TC Warranty

2010-2012 Chevrolet Camaro (RPOs LLT, LFX)

2012 Chevrolet Impala (RPO LFX)
2007-2012 GMC Acadia (RPOs LY7, LLT) Extended TC Warranty
2010-2012 GMC Terrain (RPOs LF1, LFW)
2007-2010 Pontiac G6 (RPO LY7)
2008-2009 Pontiac G8 (RPO LY7)
2008-2009 Pontiac Torrent (RPO LY7)
2007-2009 Saturn AURA (RPO LY7)
2008-2010 Saturn OUTLOOK (RPOs LY7, LLT) Extended TC Warranty
2008-2010 Saturn VUE (RPO LY7)

Extended Warranty Bulletin N0: 11340A

"Dear General Motors Customer:
As the owner of a 2007 model year GMC Acadia; Saturn OUTLOOK; 2007-2009 model year
Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; 2009 model year Buick Enclave; Chevrolet Traverse; GMC Acadia; or
Saturn OUTLOOK, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.
Recently, you took your vehicle to your dealer to have Customer Satisfaction Program 10287
performed. Your dealer reprogrammed the engine control module to prevent premature wear of
the timing chain and the illumination of the Service Engine Soon light. Further analysis has
shown that the reprogramming may not fully correct this condition for all vehicles; we, therefore,
are providing you with additional protection for the timing chain.
What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the
timing chain. If premature wear of the timing chain occurs on your 2007 model year GMC Acadia;
Saturn OUTLOOK; 2007-2009 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; 2009 model year Buick
Enclave; Chevrolet Traverse; GMC Acadia; or Saturn OUTLOOK vehicle, equipped with a
2.8L/3.6L V6 engine, within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or
120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no
charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not
covered under this special coverage program."

Last edited by bologdl; 04-05-2016 at 11:45 AM.
bologdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:29 AM   #58
bologdl

My Car Timing chains were completed as of 03/31/16 I have been patiently waiting to hear back from Chevrolet Customer Service at GM to get back to me on the case I had open with them. Left 3 voicemails starting on Monday and never received a call back.

I finally called and talked to Mark and he looked into my case an told me that at the time of development for the vehicles on the extended warranty it was determined during the wear and tear testing it indicated to the Engineers that the timing chains on those vehicles could stretch and they needed to be added to a extended timing chain warranty.

During the Camaro testing it was determine the timing chains are ok even tho we are using the same part number chain as the vehicles that failed. So I guess GM still knowingly releases defective vehicle to the consumer. You would have thought they would have learned after the Ignition key debacle or the Chevrolet Customer Service representatives have no idea what they are talking about.

I could only concluded that Chevrolet Customer Service are not a reliable group and they are only there to spin the corporate line and get you off of the phone.

This mostly will be my last GM CAR Thanks Chevrolet for all of the help you never gave me.

This is one of the two emails they sent me to keeps my hopes up that they were seriously looking into my issue.

"Hi David,

Thank you for getting back to me with your case number. After further research, I do see your case agent, John, has been actively working with the dealership to address your concern. As of 1:20PM today he did call the Customer Experience Manager, Eric, however he was unavailable and is awaiting a response. I will notify John that you are eagerly awaiting feedback and to reach out to you as soon as possible. To prevent any miscommunication, please continue working with John as he is in the best position to provide any updates regarding your case. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Best,

Erica W.
Chevrolet Customer Care"

Last edited by bologdl; 04-15-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #59
Nelb4z00d

Drives: 2010 camaro
They do not give a life time warrantee it's a one year. And yes u can buy timing chain for less then 200 on eBay you can also buy the kit on eBay for around 300 and that is life time warrantee. Yet dealer says the kit cost 8 to 9 hundred dollars and 1 year warrantee. How messed up is that. Gm has no faith in their own products that they only give you a 1 year warrantee.
Nelb4z00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:42 PM   #60
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Words can not desribe how frustrated I am with GM

Lost a life long customer
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:05 PM   #61
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
I have just over 50k on mine, no problems with engine but did have some issues with the manual transmission fixed under warranty. I was going to trade it in on the 2016 SS but in looking at the Camaro6 forum, looks like they are having some quality control issues. I will probably wait until later in the year and maybe for a price reduction. Pricing is getting ridiculous. This will also probably be my last Chevy. Not like what I am seeing regarding support and customer service from GM. Will probably take another look at Ford. Only had one Ford which was a tuff pickup years ago.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #62
shrinkdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
Has this problem continued with the LFX?

Don't be surprised if its continuing with the 2016s. It started in the mid 2000's.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #63
shrinkdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
We all put our faith in GM an bought during bankruptcy.
You think they would have learned from the past, closing all those divisions down.
Consumers today want a quality product, free from known design flaws!
And a company that stands behind them.
After thinking about this a lot, I work on cars, the main problem is the complexity of the designs today, and the days
you have to spend reading, studying, and working on these things.
If it were a simple timing chain or heater core yrs ago it would be 3-4 hrs max.
Today 20+ hrs.

Mary Berra just recently got a big bonus last month. Its why GM is not fixing your car.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #64
Dblock5

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
I too have had the timing chain issue. I took my Camaro to my local GM dealer to see what they could do about it. I mentioned that there was a bulletin out there for this issue and they said yeah there is a extended warranty for the chains. I asked them how they were gonna go on about this and they said that they first had to open the engine up to properly diagnose the problem and that it would cost me about $1000 in labour to do so. Then once they got sight of the problem, they would go on and fix it. That would have cost me another $2000 to fix and put everything back together. So I asked "wouldn't warranty just cover it instead of me paying?" and they said that they would have to collect all the oil change invoices that the car has gotten and send it into GM Canada, then they would determine if its covered under warranty or not. This process would've been 1-2 months long. So I said no way. I bought and collected all the parts and instructions that I needed over time. Timing Chain Kit, Oil Pump, all timing chain guides, new radiator hoses, new coolant, new oil and oil filter. My dad and I did the timing chains over a weekend, and the process couldn't have gone better. My Camaro now seems like it runs better than the day that it rolled off the lot.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:33 PM   #65
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblock5 View Post
I too have had the timing chain issue. I took my Camaro to my local GM dealer to see what they could do about it. I mentioned that there was a bulletin out there for this issue and they said yeah there is a extended warranty for the chains. I asked them how they were gonna go on about this and they said that they first had to open the engine up to properly diagnose the problem and that it would cost me about $1000 in labour to do so. Then once they got sight of the problem, they would go on and fix it. That would have cost me another $2000 to fix and put everything back together. So I asked "wouldn't warranty just cover it instead of me paying?" and they said that they would have to collect all the oil change invoices that the car has gotten and send it into GM Canada, then they would determine if its covered under warranty or not. This process would've been 1-2 months long. So I said no way. I bought and collected all the parts and instructions that I needed over time. Timing Chain Kit, Oil Pump, all timing chain guides, new radiator hoses, new coolant, new oil and oil filter. My dad and I did the timing chains over a weekend, and the process couldn't have gone better. My Camaro now seems like it runs better than the day that it rolled off the lot.
Where did you find the list of parts and instructions? This keeps me up at night. Did you have to lift the motor or were you able to access everything with it in place? Please post links to the parts/instructions if you would be so kind!
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:38 PM   #66
shrinkdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4rMach1ne View Post
I will not buy another Chevy if my timing chain goes bad, and they dont fix it.

Me either.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:49 AM   #67
TJ91

Well GM Canada basically gave me the finger after weeks of going back and forth with them.

They won't refund any money that I spent on the chains, they wont help with any of the costs if I were to do a rebuild or a new motor.

So GM thanks for the support. They claimed my car is 7 years old. I told them the car has 80,000km they didn't seem to care.

Now I am in the market trying to find a new car and I will never buy a GM car ever again. Disgusting customer service. I really wanted a new SS or a Stingray or even a V but at this point I am boycotting GM and so is my friends and family. They may never care and good for them but at least now I will never feel betrayed buying a car from a company who doesn't stand behind their product.

I think if my issue occurred in the States, the story would be different and I would get more support from gm but GM Canada is just a trainwreck in terms of service.
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
Old 06-08-2016, 10:02 AM   #68
bologdl

Chevy Goodwill Sent me a Check

I finally reached a agreement with Chevy Goodwill Department and was able to have Chevy meet me halfway. They just sent me a check for 50% of the total bill for the timing chain replacement.

I was at then end of my rope trying to convince them that some of the Camaro LLT shared the same timing chain issue as the other GM models that had the extended coverage.

I will take this as a win and continue on enjoying my Camaro.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:51 PM   #69
TJ91

GM would not help me so guess what

I pick up my 2016 5.0 tomorrow

Glad they helped you out. Where do you live? GM Canada seems to be powerless in terms of helping customers
Old 06-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #70
bologdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
GM would not help me so guess what

I pick up my 2016 5.0 tomorrow

Glad they helped you out. Where do you live? GM Canada seems to be powerless in terms of helping customers
I live in Connecticut USA not all that far from you. The issue is who you talk to at Chevy customer service. I talked too several representatives some were ok some were jerks and some were willing to help and move it along. You also have to know your issue and have plenty of facts to back it up.

I was at the point in my life that this would be my last Camaro because of the issues Timing chains and two front wheel bearings at the same time but the Goodwill assistance renewed my faith in Chevy.

Last edited by bologdl; 06-13-2016 at 02:11 PM.