Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #883
MaxLegroom

Drives: 2002 Volkswagen Passat
Send a message via Yahoo to MaxLegroom
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
Well I mean as far as killing off a model that has some history behind it. Chevrolet did the same with the Camaro in 2002 because it made sense financially as well.
That they sure did.

My final answer to who may want a 4 cylinder Camaro is that I would. I grew up during the fuel crises of the '70s, and, oddly, was reading car magazines at the time. Today's version of doom and gloom as far as automotive performance doesn't begin to rate with what I was reading in Motor Trend as a 10 year old. One comparison test was of the two cars then available that could be expected to meet 1975 emissions regulations. They were a Mercedes 220D, and a Mazda RX3 coupe. I recall a editorial on performance modifications that would make today's tuner mag writers blanch, complete with a cartoon representation of a young man on his knees clutching his high performance exhaust system while a state trooper towering over him essentially has his car dismantled over the regulations it breaks. In those days, the big numbers seen in any Motor Trend road test were the fuel economy numbers, and everyone was basically left gagging for performance out of new cars.

With those days in the background, when the 3rd gen Camaro was introduced, it had a 4 cylinder standard, a motor hard pressed to move the car with any alacrity. But then, many of the items that make a proper sport coupe were optional at the time, like complete instrumentation, and a decent suspension. A friend of mine bought a '85 Camaro new, in its most basic form save for the fuel injected V6. It had a speedometer and a huge gas gauge for instrumentation, and a suspension soft enough that on my favorite twisty two lane, my '80 Phoenix handled better. When I bought a Camaro with the right stuff, the difference was simply amazing.

A modern four cylinder Camaro would not be that sad machine offered back in the day. It would offer lively acceleration, in fact, it would run and hide from a H.O. 5 liter Z28 from the '80s, at least stock, and it will be a car that knows its way down any road you throw at it. I don't really expect 300 hp and 30 mpg, at least not as an overall average. If it pulls that off, that would be brilliant. One reason the four cylinder turbo might make a better choice at the bottom or middle of the range is torque.

Consider the difference between the smaller engines in the BMW and Audi compared to the larger ones in the Mercedes and Cadillac.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...on-test-review

Such a motor would, by the way, kind of put it in the face of cars like my FR-S, while delivering similar driving pleasure. It's not quite like the current one, which I found larger, heavier, and less responsive than the FR-S, at least at the same price point as the FR-S. At the same money I spent for the FR-S, the Camaro is actually a very refined grand touring coupe, sort of like the similarly sized Jaguar XK, but with fewer luxuries. It is actually quite genteel compared to a FR-S, which handles like a go-kart, but rides a bit like one as well.

The original pony cars were derived from compacts, not mid size cars, or practically full size ones, like the current Camaro is. It will be a good thing for Camaro to return to its roots as far as packaging goes, and when it comes to a four cylinder, I'd want one. Besides, for those who fear losing the V8, consider the idea that you can fit a V8 where you can put a four cylinder, especially one with the extra plumbing for a turbo. When you'll need to worry is when they decide to go with inline 3 cylinders and V6 engines...
Old 12-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #884
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Actually, yes. The next generation Holden Commodore, which both our car is based off and the Chevy SS is badge engineered from will be as GM has planned a front wheel drive turd based on probably the current epsilon platform. It will have the current flavors of fours and if lucky a six. This is a car with quite a history and they are taking an absolute crap on it. I can garuntee that no one in Australia wants this car, and just as many in the US. But as stated previously GM will do what they are forced to do and want to do despite what a portion of the market wants them to do. Heck ford is killing the Falcon, THE FALCON in the same market. Do you think that they want to?
Holden will have nothing to do with the Camaro, in fact an article just came out last week indicating that GM is letting Holden go, they will soon be done with owning Holden.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:59 PM   #885
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
Holden will have nothing to do with the Camaro, in fact an article just came out last week indicating that GM is letting Holden go, they will soon be done with owning Holden.
Um, not even close.

Holden's manufacturing and engineering operations are closing.

The Holden brand will still live on as GM's presence in Australia and the design studio will be maintained as well.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #886
IowaGuy

Drives: 2013 Cyber Gray Metallic Chevy Volt
I'll take a torquey electric camaro.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:47 PM   #887
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larz29 View Post
Why would anyone want a 4 cyl camaro??
I wonder the same about the v6's but people really like them and it's been a good seller.

No doubt in my mind if they pump out a 4 cylinder people will buy it
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:05 AM   #888
thok mcbeefstew

Drives: 01 Silverado Z-71 / 2011 Suburban
Final answer, this is all the same, and history repeating itself. Think of the 4 cylinder as a catalytic converter. The hood will room for an LSA, and you could get your own badge and call it the Z28-L1.

This is Great to drive, but it still is not a ZL1!
thok mcbeefstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:05 PM   #889
RazorLED

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
It all comes down to regulations.

For these reasons, the Camaro 1LE is the better value, and it’s fully prepared for weekend track obligations, to boot.

Is the modern muscle-car era drawing to a close as corporate average fuel economy standards require fleet averages of 35.5 mpg (6.6 L/100 km) in 2016 and 54.5 mpg (4.3 L/100 km) in 2025?

Hard to say, but Oppenheiser sees the government mandate forcing auto makers to balance their fleets. “Theoretically, it means when we project how many Volts we will sell, that will determine how many V-8s we can sell,” he says. “When trucks and Camaros can get fuel economy in the upper 20s and low 30s, that helps the overall picture.”

The new reality of CAFE puts Oppenheiser’s team in a tight bind. “We hear this from consumers all the time: They don’t want us to take away the cylinders in their performance cars. They want us to be better at the smaller end,” he says.

“At some point, either we price V-8s to control the volume, or we pull cars from the portfolio or look at reducing cylinder counts. If you start doing lower-displacement engines and smaller cylinder counts, you’ve got to ask yourself, is that really a Camaro?”

Muscle-car lovers need to brace themselves for the potential departure of these gas guzzlers.

The time to buy might be now.
RazorLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #890
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I wouldn't mind a 4-banger if I could get one with a 3 speed on the column

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #891
madmax13

Drives: '13 2SS/RS/1LE/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Honestly, Ford probably does. Falcon sales have been in the dump for a while now. Commodore's reigned supreme as the RWD king in Australia for years.

All we can do is hope the weird rumor regarding an NA-built 2nd gen Chevrolet SS being exported to Australia as a Commodore is more than just complete BS.
I think I read the Holden design team is being retained. If their designers helped create the 6th Gen Camaro and exported as a Commodore... I would be OK with that maybe not a Firebird, but something else.
madmax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #892
CarGarage

Drives: 2SS/RS,Wrangler,CTSVcoupe,viper,etc
Gm doesn't have a rwd coupe 4 cyl turbo

Plz correct me if I'm wrong
Cobalt and cousins, fwd
Caddie has a 4 cyl now, but its only awd and auto? Lame
I want a gm car that has a turbo
4 cyl rwd, just call it a nova or something
CarGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:18 PM   #893
coryrulez9

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS Blue Ray
As long as they keep a V6....but I don't see it selling well...ego thing which is why so many on hear laugh at the V6.
coryrulez9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #894
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGarage View Post
Gm doesn't have a rwd coupe 4 cyl turbo

Plz correct me if I'm wrong
Cobalt and cousins, fwd
Caddie has a 4 cyl now, but its only awd and auto? Lame
I want a gm car that has a turbo
4 cyl rwd, just call it a nova or something
ATS 2.0 turbo is available in RWD and coupe was just announced for this summer. So you have what you want in a few months. No manual yet though.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #895
revychevy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Actually, yes. The next generation Holden Commodore, which both our car is based off and the Chevy SS is badge engineered from will be as GM has planned a front wheel drive turd based on probably the current epsilon platform. It will have the current flavors of fours and if lucky a six. This is a car with quite a history and they are taking an absolute crap on it. I can garuntee that no one in Australia wants this car, and just as many in the US. But as stated previously GM will do what they are forced to do and want to do despite what a portion of the market wants them to do. Heck ford is killing the Falcon, THE FALCON in the same market. Do you think that they want to?
The SS looks to be a V-8 me.
Show me the 4 cylinder version.

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/ss/2014/road-test.html

Last edited by revychevy; 02-27-2014 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Add link
revychevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #896
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by revychevy View Post
The SS looks to be a V-8 me.
Show me the 4 cylinder version.

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/ss/2014/road-test.html
Reading comprehension is important.

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation