Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 04-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #15
ORANGE U NV

Drives: The Wife Crazy
There should be a BIG price difference in a regular oil change and a synthetic oil change.

2010 2SS IOM/IOM L99 Black Rally Stripes, Polished Wheels, Loudmouth II, Rotofab CAI, IOM Heritage Grille,Tune by Jeremy Formato (Fasterproms Tuning).
ORANGE U NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #16
mikeyroche

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro 1SS/RS M6
My dealership is anal about oil. So much so they argued with me about Royal Purple. They basically knew there types of oil and which ones for which vehicle. I made an appointment for tuesday and the guy said Mobil 1 8L and a Mobil 1 filter..... etc. They know what they have to use, and they won't use anything else. I tried to tell them Royal Purple is dexos 1 approved, and they said they would have to record it down if they used it(They assumed it would void warranty, because they don't know even what Royal purple is. Yes I know that sounds bad, but really its not popular up here. You see a quart in Canadian tire and thats it. So they just go by what they are told, and here at my dealership Camaro SS=ONLY Mobil1).

2011 Camaro 1SS with RS - K&N Typhoon CAI, Borla Atak Exhaust, Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads, SLP 'SS' Front Grille Emblem, Blue LED interior lighting, Camaro Victory Red Seatbelt Harness pads NEXT - Corvette LS3 Victory Red Fuel Rail Covers(Awaiting Installation), Window Tinting, Custom Leather Interior.
mikeyroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #17
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
The dealer I'm employed by uses factory spec. Your 2011 has Mobil 1 logo on the cap. '12s and newer say dexos.

We always use Mobil 1 and AC Delco filters on V8 Camaros and Corvettes.
We always recommend 3k mile oil changes regardless of oil life and owners manuals. Chevy will warranty engine repairs if you go by the oil life monitoring system, but it usually takes a couple weeks in the shop for rebuilding the bottom ends.

better to change @3-4k than to have your car sit in the shop waiting on parts.
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #18
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
The dealer I'm employed by uses factory spec. Your 2011 has Mobil 1 logo on the cap. '12s and newer say dexos.

We always use Mobil 1 and AC Delco filters on V8 Camaros and Corvettes.
We always recommend 3k mile oil changes regardless of oil life and owners manuals. Chevy will warranty engine repairs if you go by the oil life monitoring system, but it usually takes a couple weeks in the shop for rebuilding the bottom ends.

Spoken like a true Stealership.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #19
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post
Spoken like a true Stealership.
wow, really? What did I say to sound like a stealer? Some people have a serious hatred towards dealers.....we're not all bad....sorry your dealer may suck a big one and I probably wouldn't disagree.
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #20
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Quote:
wow, really? What did I say to sound like a stealer? Some people have a serious hatred towards dealers.....we're not all bad....sorry your dealer may suck a big one and I probably wouldn't disagree.
You totally contradicted what you were saying. I'm not just pointing a finger at you or GM. It is a typical dealer ploy that many manufacturers do to get more money out of the customer for absolutely no reason by recommending something much more frequent than needed.

Quote:

Exactly what I am pointing out. There is absolutely no proof that changing the oil @3-4K is going to prevent a failure and your car sitting in the shop waiting on parts. 3k oil changes on our SS's with a two gallon oil capacity is absurd. Alot of GM dealerships including yours must be mighter than Dr. Emily Schwartz and the engineering team at big corp GM that deveoped the OLM system for the cars you all sell and work on.

We went 13,504 miles when the OLM hit 0% on our previous oil change using the original Mobil 1, PF48 the first 50% and a Wix 57060 the last 50%. Reason I did that is because the PF48 is not capable of that many miles IMO. I sent in an oil sample and had it analyzed. The oil came back with flying colors. This last oil change we had 12,221 miles on Mobil 1 EP. I have the sample ready to be sent off and will post the results like I did on my previous oil change.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #21
bajamoon

Drives: 2014 Subaru WRX
I will never change my oil at 3k and my car will never go to the dealer because they have no clue. OP did you get the work order? Regular oil won't hurt just next time you know don't take it to the dealer.
bajamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #22
moserbe

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I'll have the first oil change at 3K, then it's by the OL %.
moserbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #23
11cyberV6

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro LS
hey Navdood, ease up, i work for a gm dealer also, if u wanna wait that long for your oil changes to pinch pennys on your expensive car that is up to u man, but for most of us we dont mind spending a little more for 8qt changes early so we can protect our investment and idc about your oil analysis i will change my oil early everytime.....dont be so fast to use terms like stealership and jump on guys like us, you will have a lot of negative responses thrown your way... watch it
11cyberV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #24
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11cyberV6 View Post
hey Navdood, ease up, i work for a gm dealer also, if u wanna wait that long for your oil changes to pinch pennys on your expensive car that is up to u man, but for most of us we dont mind spending a little more for 8qt changes early so we can protect our investment and idc about your oil analysis i will change my oil early everytime.....dont be so fast to use terms like stealership and jump on guys like us, you will have a lot of negative responses thrown your way... watch it
Bring it, I ain't skeered. It absolutely had NOTHING to do with pinching pennies. It's about newer technology and systems set in place from big corp that have had tons of R&D and money poured into it like I posted in post #20. I'm sure you don't care about my analysis reports and I don't care that you don't care. Factual info is hard for a lot of people to digest. Analysis reports don't lie and are a nemesis to dealers because they make the dealers look even worse when they recommend service items more often than needed just to get more money out of the customer. If you follow the OLM you cannot ever be chastised for doing something wrong.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #25
bajamoon

Drives: 2014 Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11cyberV6 View Post
No reason to change the oil that soon when using synthetic. If you are saying we should change the oil every 3k the author we have the oil life meter? When it is time for the change I can tell you the last place it's going is the dealer.
bajamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #26
rwmiller56

Drives: 2011 1LT Summit White
The complimentary first oil change only covers the cost of the Dexos oil, which is a semi-synthetic (not a full synthetic). If they put in full synthetic, like Mobil 1, they definitely will charge you for the difference. Look at the invoice, and see if there is a cost difference. The invoice should also note if they used full synthetic.

I asked for full synthetic Mobil 1 on my first complimentary oil change, and the cost difference was like $20.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #27
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
My dealer did the same thing and the invoice said mobil1 $75. To be 100% certain change it yourself. Only way to be sure.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #28
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmiller56 View Post
The complimentary first oil change only covers the cost of the Dexos oil, which is a semi-synthetic (not a full synthetic). If they put in full synthetic, like Mobil 1, they definitely will charge you for the difference. Look at the invoice, and see if there is a cost difference. The invoice should also note if they used full synthetic.

I asked for full synthetic Mobil 1 on my first complimentary oil change, and the cost difference was like $20.
We got Mobil 1 with no cost difference. I watched them open the bottles of Mobil 1 and pour them in through the glass window looking out over the service bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@AMSOIL View Post
Don't use the OLM is worthless, specially when you start modifying the car.
On a stock car it is far from worthless and I have proven that going 13,504 miles using original Mobil 1 and can prove it from the last oil change going 12,221 miles on Mobil 1 EP. When you start modding then you will need to adjust your interval. The only way to know what adjustments need to be made is by doing regular oil analysis' to see how the oil is holding up. Throw around some more our your non knowing knowledge there Mr Amsoil independant dealer.