Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
gas prices.

i know a muscle car, really isnt a muscle car, without a big american V8. But, personally knowing executives in the Exxon/Mobile Corp. i have it on good information that the end of the gas price inflation is now where near over. i dont know about you, but i think ill be purchasing a V6.

and with all this new news coming in about how good the V6 really turned out to be, i think ill be more than happy with my car.
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I plan on getting the V8, but I admit the gas prices are lessening my interest in that somewhat. If I didn't live only 3.5 miles from work I'd never consider a V8.

If the V8 can get me a little over 20 mpg CITY I'll be much more happy since my current car only get's 21-25 regularly in the city.

Otherwise when 2009 rolls around and gas is over $4 a gallon (it's currently $3.76 here) the V8 may look less and less attractive.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
Z-Lover

Drives: G6 V6
Cool Two views on this...

I have two views on this.

The negative way to look at this is to fear that GM may not be able to sell enough V8s (or supercharged Z28s) with $4-5/gal gas. This will impact overall sales volume. I worry that the sales envelope for this car is slowly closing. I don't think anyone believes we are going back to $2/gas anytime (or ever?).

On a positive note, if the V6 is really as good as reported, perhaps we have a winner in the V6 even if the V8 is a sales dud. A 300bhp V6 with good/excellent mileage could be a real winner in this economy. People want to drive a "cool" car... and if a Camaro gets the same mileage as a V6 Accord... well, I think the sales will do well, very very well. My only concern is that GM will need to advertise the HELL out of the mileage numbers.

As much as I want to see ads that boast about "4/500 BHP" supercharged Z-28 PWR! I think it would be a poor campaign... if they emphasize fuel mileage, and let the design sell on looks, then I think the Camaro's return will do well.

My only advice, don't wait to buy a V8... if you *really* want a V8, buy it on launch, as I can foresee the big dog getting taken out behind the shed if gas goes to $200/bbl.
Z-Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
i know a muscle car, really isnt a muscle car, without a big american V8. But, personally knowing executives in the Exxon/Mobile Corp. i have it on good information that the end of the gas price inflation is now where near over. i dont know about you, but i think ill be purchasing a V6.

and with all this new news coming in about how good the V6 really turned out to be, i think ill be more than happy with my car.
You wanna give me there names and addresses?

History has shown that these cars seem immune to gas prices...back in the late 70's were some of the best-selling years for Camaros, and Mustangs, etc. Plus...a bigshot at Ford remarked recently (when asked about Camaro) that history shows us something else...when more cars are added to this "muscle car" soup, the pot gets bigger, so to speak. The market stands a good chance at actually growing, to make room for both Camaro and Mustang.

Personally - I have no doubts that the V6 model will sell 2 or 3, maybe even 4x the numbers that the V8 does. But I don't think Camaro as a whole is in the least bit threatened...gas is something we're all going to have to learn to deal with, untill we get "other" fuels to substitute it.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
Numero_uno

Drives: Nissan Altima
Well one of the deciding factors in me deciding on the V6 rather than the V8 has been gas prices. While I'm not the Camaro enthusiast that many of the members here are, I am still a huge Camaro fan and believe in keeping to the whole American Muscle idealogy. I just think that a big hunkin' V8 could bankrupt me at the pump and insurance office.
Numero_uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Gas prices really don't bother me much at all. When you think about it, $4 to ship 2 tons of metal 20-30 miles is really pretty cheap. Gas is still a pretty small portion of my expenses, and I live 30 miles from work for now (that will change as soon as the lease on my apartment is up, because I haaaate sitting in traffic) so gas prices have very little bearing on what I choose. I'll almost certainly go for the V8, but the V6 is tempting for its lower purchase and insurance costs. If gas prices go higher, there are plenty of things I'd sooner sacrifice, like going to the movies. $10 to see something once that I can pay $10-15 to see unlimited times on DVD? You gotta be kidding me. Where's the outrage about that?

Also, the nice thing about higher gas prices is less traffic on the road. As gas prices rise, my commute gets shorter. So I'm really not sweating this much.

Oh yeah, and I'd say the Camaro isn't a muscle car. Its a pony car.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #7
Numero_uno

Drives: Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post

Oh yeah, and I'd say the Camaro isn't a muscle car. Its a pony car.
Eh, same basic concept, just a different degree of the same opinion.
Numero_uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:15 PM   #8
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numero_uno View Post
Eh, same basic concept, just a different degree of the same opinion.
I'm not so sure. I'd say a muscle car has to have a V8 engine. The original idea behind the muscle car was the engine from a full size car in a midsize body. Pony cars a smaller sporty RWD coupes and convertibles. They have always been mostly V6 powered, with a few top end models getting V8s. I think that is the real difference here.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #9
crazz28

Drives: '10 Camaro SS/RS, '10 GMC Sierra
I would gladly take the prices in the states. Up here in Canada gas is ~$5/gallon, plus our camaros will be another $5k+ at least, even with a near par dollar. And we're the ones building the car and making the gas!!!!(ok, not all of it, but we do have a bunch of oil up here) Then there's the guys in Europe who are paying double what we are almost.
I know that for myself the fun-factor of a V8 outweighs the fuel mileage/prices by a long shot.
crazz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
Congoman775

they will ration out the gas at that point.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:38 PM   #11
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
they will ration out the gas at that point.
Uhh sorry to burst your bubble, if gas gets rationed congress will get stormed. Instead gas will just go up in price .

Instead of complaining people just need to start preparing and planning for it.

My plans still include buying a V8, because even at $7/gal (estimated 2010 gas price) I will have a motorcycle that I can commute with. Not only that but I am CURRENTLY carpooling.

Whining only makes the problem worse. Solving the problem for your specific lifestyle is what will drive prices back down.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:44 PM   #12
Congoman775

If you dont think they will ration gas you need to go look this up.

gas, WILL be rationed eventually once the price has gone up to the point where people find it more reasonable to invest in alternate sources of fuel.

so as gas prices go up, the demand has an inverse effect, going down, as people find alternative fuel cells.

and durring the transition of gas to whatever source we end up using, it WILL be rationed. and Congress? what do you think people would like more, rationing, or a complete dry up of fuel sources.

the prices arent going to go down until speculation of probable gas chrisis stop. and that speculation is just heating up.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:50 PM   #13
kinyu

Drives: POS
I hate to admit that gas prices are making me think twice about getting a camaro. For me, it's v8 or nothing.
kinyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:00 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
If you dont think they will ration gas you need to go look this up.

gas, WILL be rationed eventually once the price has gone up to the point where people find it more reasonable to invest in alternate sources of fuel.

so as gas prices go up, the demand has an inverse effect, going down, as people find alternative fuel cells.

and durring the transition of gas to whatever source we end up using, it WILL be rationed. and Congress? what do you think people would like more, rationing, or a complete dry up of fuel sources.

the prices arent going to go down until speculation of probable gas chrisis stop. and that speculation is just heating up.
Not that I don't follow your logic...but if the market works the say it should, and there truly is no price gouging and/or conspirasy going on; less demand for gas due to finding alternatives (be it efficiency, less usage, or altogether substitutes) SHOULD drive the price down. "Supply and demand" is the phrase that's being shoved down our throats lately, yes?

And rationing should have a more direct relation to supply, not prices. I can't see how prices would force the rationing of gas...