Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want a more powerful version of the Camaro(Z28)?
Yes 836 76.07%
No 263 23.93%
Voters: 1099. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #967
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
So like I said earlier..... Here we go again!!!!!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:11 PM   #968
swifttal

Drives: '91 Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrew View Post
You guys dont want to see a 450hp factory twin turbo v6? That would prove to be quite the animal... Using larger turbo's for efficiency they could use the new twin scroll and ball bearings for quick spool, then run like 6psi from the factory.. Thats assuming they dont touch the internals of the 3.6L v6... However if they bumped up the displacement to lets say 4L, all said above and ran oh 10psi... hehe.. They could claim 500hp easy, Tuners on the other hand could raise the boost to whatever the stock block can hold... can you hear 600-650hp? WITH A SIMPLE TUNE!!!?? Intercooler upgrade and intake and exhaust maybe necessary for that but still, maybe even injectors..

Ya, thats not going to happen though, too many of the Z28 fans want the LS7 engine. and it would be the perfect and easy answer in all books.
And the LS7 would be cheaper and more reliable. After 42 year of naturally aspirated heritage, you want to throw a rice motor in the Camaro? I mean, sure, hell yeah that would be a bad ass setup, but really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsismeZ06 View Post
What they need to do is not put a giant V8 in it, but like some people are saying, a TT V6 or I6. What that'll do is dramatically reduce weight. After that, put the car on a diet, take out the radio and back seats, up the brakes/suspension, and sell it. The only problem I have is price. Since the car has less stuff, you would think it would cost less, but they'll sell it for more. They need to sell it for the same price or less than the highest priced V6 model.
You'd probably save about 40 lbs tops with the TT v6 setup. You're dealing with an all-aluminum block and heads with the LS3/7. Totally agree w/ the rest though. Give it 2 airbags instead of 6, light manual cloth seats, cardboard back seats (got to keep em for the insurance discount), radio/ac delete, grippy matte finish floor to save weight instead of carpet. 1LE Z-28 baby!!! N/A V-8 mandatory though
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:21 PM   #969
TonytheTiger

Drives: 1999 camaro rs
I say the z28 should get an twin turbo v6 or an ls1
Old 12-10-2008, 10:45 PM   #970
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Drives: 2000 Monte Carlo SS
Every time I here Z28 my blood gets to pumpin'. Just thinking what kind of bad ass this car would be if they made it.
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:59 PM   #971
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
ok this video pisses me off. i wish GM would give a straight answer. I have my deposit down on my 2SS, and im going to have to sign my life away to the bank for that car. If there is going to be a V8 SS coming out i would like to know so that i can wait for it, if not im going to buy this model. i would be choked if i bought it and a few months later hearing about a z28 model coming out.
You're right! GM, stop worrying about going bankrupt and get us an answer on a car that will fail CAFE standards horribly! The market for Z28 buyers is incredibly small and your money is spent better elsewhere currently and the V6 Camaro is where you'll be turning a profit but we don't care about that, make a supercharged version now!!!

Seriously people, give the Z28 a rest. GM is in VERY BAD SHAPE. Be happy you're even getting the SS right now.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:17 AM   #972
gladiatoro

Drives: 1981 Z28 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFiles View Post
You're right! GM, stop worrying about going bankrupt and get us an answer on a car that will fail CAFE standards horribly! The market for Z28 buyers is incredibly small and your money is spent better elsewhere currently and the V6 Camaro is where you'll be turning a profit but we don't care about that, make a supercharged version now!!!

Seriously people, give the Z28 a rest. GM is in VERY BAD SHAPE. Be happy you're even getting the SS right now.
GM will downsize and restructure and start making profit again , then they will built my dream car a new Z28
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:33 AM   #973
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
I'm going crazy about the Z28 coming out. I want it to come out but then I dont cos I ordered the 2SS/RS. Which means there will be a faster Camaro out there if the Z28 comes out so I'm gonna feel pissed I got the SS. So yes and no. OMG im split! I cud always sell it but how do you sell something your gonna fall in Love with!!! Grrrrrrrr!!! See my dilema!! Are there any therapists in the house? lol
Old 12-11-2008, 05:47 AM   #974
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifttal View Post
And the LS7 would be cheaper and more reliable. After 42 year of naturally aspirated heritage, you want to throw a rice motor in the Camaro? I mean, sure, hell yeah that would be a bad ass setup, but really?
Granted the Camaro has always been N/A. but let's review what you are calling rice:

The GMC Typhoon and GMC Cyclone
The Buick Grand National.
The Ford Lightning (you said if it's not N/A it's rice)

I could go on but you get the point. Stop being a redneck.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:00 AM   #975
swifttal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
Granted the Camaro has always been N/A. but let's review what you are calling rice:

The GMC Typhoon and GMC Cyclone
The Buick Grand National.
The Ford Lightning (you said if it's not N/A it's rice)

I could go on but you get the point. Stop being a redneck.

You want a Japanese drivetrain, buy Japanese.

Also, not saying that if someone TT's their LS/LT camaro, that wouldn't be sic. The typhoon, cyclone, GNX, and 89 T/A were bad ass and unique for their time... and if GM redid the Grand National with this setup, that could turn out pretty sweet... but not a Z-28, are you f-in kidding me???
Old 12-11-2008, 06:04 AM   #976
MerF
Go Rays!

Quote:
You want a Japanese drivetrain, buy Japanese.

Also, not saying that if someone TT's their LS/LT camaro, that wouldn't be sic. The typhoon, cyclone, GNX, and 89 T/A were bad ass and unique for their time... and if GM redid the Grand National with this setup, that could turn out pretty sweet... but not a Z-28, are you f-in kidding me???
So you think a Z/28 was built for the biggest loudest motor possible so it could go fast in a straight line, right?

And what does FI have to do with Japanese drivetrains?
Old 12-11-2008, 06:04 AM   #977
swifttal

Quote:
Stop being a redneck.
And where the hell did this come from. How about having some pride in something that your country has mastered over the rest of the world. Something very impressive - 500+ hp factory motors using naturally aspirated 2v pushrod technology.

Last edited by swifttal; 12-11-2008 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:06 AM   #978
swifttal

Quote:
So you think a Z/28 was built for the biggest loudest motor possible so it could go fast in a straight line, right?

And what does FI have to do with Japanese drivetrains?
I did say that didnt I? Don't quote crap I haven't said - you assume to much, I road race and would proudly take chevy's v-8 over a TT setup anyday - more linear power

And the 1 Gen Z-28s had smaller displacement motors that the SS's, where the heck are you going with this? The TT V-6 is synonymous with japan... What I was suggesting is that putting the V-6 TT setup in a new Z-28 would be a mistake. LS9, sure whatever - I probably wouldn't buy it cause forced induction isn't my cup of tea, and yes, would depart from the tradition of having n/a camaros... still would respect it though. I wouldn't respect a factory v-6 TT setup though as our top of the line model - I personally would feel betrayed

Last edited by swifttal; 12-11-2008 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:15 AM   #979
MerF
Go Rays!

Quote:
And where the hell did this come from. How about having some pride in something that your country has mastered over the rest of the world. Something very impressive - 500+ hp factory motors using 2v pushrod technology.
I have nothing against displacement. I love it. My first love was my first Z/28. But I'm an enthusiast for all aspects of the sportscar, and it annoys me when someone can't concede that there are better ways to make power.

The SS is using said huge engine, and it's gonna be great with TONS of potential for growth. Guess what, most people are going to FI that thing with a blower, some will have the balls to try a turbo and really make it fly. The point is, they got displacement covered. Now strip a 1SS down to barebones, throw in a DI/FI set-up in there...not necessarily a 3.6, maybe a 5.3...and destroy some twisties in that bad boy.

Last edited by MerF; 12-11-2008 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Matching his edits.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:24 AM   #980
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFiles View Post

I'm not sure they will save the company by building awful Prius-style cars fueling passion only for few green extremists ...

why buying a car if that car isn't better than your previous one?

All industries work this way: make people dream about dream cars and make them buy a normal car. Same in luxury goods ... few people buy the 1 000 K$ dress, but many will buy the 30 bucks Dior T shirt ... stop the high range, you won't sell the low range.

Make a Z28, whatever the price, and make it be the flag of the brand (corvette isn't chevy anymore ..). NO need to sell thousands of Z28 ... it's just about having a flag