Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
Pontiac GTO

found this today
It's official: Pontiac GTO will return!
March 2, 02:45pm EST
http://www.leftlanenews.com/its-offi...ll-return.html

Reports of the GTO's death are greatly exaggerated! According to GM Vice President Bob Lutz, the Pontiac GTO will return in 2008, alongside the 2008/2009 Chevrolet Camaro. Lutz told AutoWeek at the Geneva Motor Show today that the GTO will share the Zeta architecture with the new Chevrolet Camaro and Holden Monaro. Like the last ill-fated GTO, the 2009 GTO will be engineered jointly by GM in North America and Holden in Australia. Lutz said the new GTO project was only on hold for two months, but has since been revived. Lutz also said the rear-wheel-drive Zeta platform will be used for a new Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo, and an all new Buick model called the "Statesman." Lutz said a new El Camino could come by 'putting a Chevrolet face' on a Holden Ute, but that's unlikely at this time. The GTO and related programs, however, are back on "full tilt." (The image shown at the right is the 1999 GTO Concept).

different article
This one's a winner -- The design for the new GTO coming to Pontiac showrooms in 2007 as a 2008 model. The big, rear-drive sport coupe will be designed and built in the U.S., possibly at GM's Hamtramck or Wilmington plants, and it's likely to show up in concept form at a 2006 auto show, probably Detroit in January.

Internally called the GMX282, the 2008 GTO will be built on GM's new Zeta platform, now under development in Australia by GM's Holden subsidiary. The Zeta platform brings new suspension all around, with a more sophisticated independent rearend promising better traction and even sweeter handling. The wheelbase has grown marginally to 110 inches. The next GTO will carry over the 6.0-liter, 400-horse LS2 from the current car as well as the six speed manual transmission.

The new GTO looks more muscular than the today's model, with a fastback roofline and strong tension in the profile and pumped fenders. Overall length is down 0.8 inch to 189. The only retro nods on this car are the wide-track Pontiac-style front end and the twin hood scoops. Ironically, the design is being done under the direction of Australian Mike Simcoe, who designed the current GTO as a Holden Monaro in 1997 and is now responsible for all GM North American cars.

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics

Last edited by CaptianSam; 03-02-2008 at 04:09 PM.
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
CaptianSam
Car Garage

yellow car mark up from motortrend site

The design for the new GTO coming to Pontiac showrooms in 2007 as a 2008 model. The big, rear-drive sport coupe will be designed and built in the U.S., possibly at GM's Hamtramck or Wilmington plants, and it's likely to show up in concept form at a 2006 auto show, probably Detroit in January.

Internally called the GMX282, the 2008 GTO will be built on GM's new Zeta platform, now under development in Australia by GM's Holden subsidiary. The Zeta platform brings new suspension all around, with a more sophisticated independent rearend promising better traction and even sweeter handling. The wheelbase has grown marginally to 110 inches. The next GTO will carry over the 6.0-liter, 400-horse LS2 from the current car as well as the six speed manual transmission.

The new GTO looks more muscular than the today's model, with a fastback roofline and strong tension in the profile and pumped fenders. Overall length is down 0.8 inch to 189. The only retro nods on this car are the wide-track Pontiac-style front end and the twin hood scoops. Ironically, the design is being done under the direction of Australian Mike Simcoe, who designed the current GTO as a Holden Monaro in 1997 and is now responsible for all GM North American cars.
Attached Images

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707

B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
Old 03-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptianSam View Post
found this today
It's official: Pontiac GTO will return!
March 2, 02:45pm EST MARCH SECOND!!!!! is TODAY
www.leftlanenews.com/its-official-pontiac-gto-will-return.html

Reports of the GTO's death are greatly exaggerated! According to GM Vice President Bob Lutz, the Pontiac GTO will return in 2008, alongside the 2008/2009 Chevrolet Camaro. Lutz told AutoWeek at the Geneva Motor Show today that the GTO will share the Zeta architecture with the new Chevrolet Camaro and Holden Monaro. Like the last ill-fated GTO, the 2009 GTO will be engineered jointly by GM in North America and Holden in Australia. Lutz said the new GTO project was only on hold for two months, but has since been revived. Lutz also said the rear-wheel-drive Zeta platform will be used for a new Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo, and an all new Buick model called the "Statesman." Lutz said a new El Camino could come by 'putting a Chevrolet face' on a Holden Ute, but that's unlikely at this time. The GTO and related programs, however, are back on "full tilt." (The image shown at the right is the 1999 GTO Concept).

different article
This one's a winner -- The design for the new GTO coming to Pontiac showrooms in 2007 as a 2008 model. The big, rear-drive sport coupe will be designed and built in the U.S., possibly at GM's Hamtramck or Wilmington plants, and it's likely to show up in concept form at a 2006 auto show, probably Detroit in January.

Neither article is up to date. Check the comments on the one dated march 2nd, its clearly from at least a year ago. The one from motor trend is also out of date because they talk about it ariving with an ls2 in 2007.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Neither article is up to date. Check the comments on the one dated march 2nd, its clearly from at least a year ago. The one from motor trend is also out of date because they talk about it ariving with an ls2 in 2007.
Unfortunately....
If it was an article written today...it would have been on LLN's front page. And it's not.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Check out the Holden 60 concept and thats what it will look like.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
WillInThe04Ranger

Drives: 04 Ranger, 95 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to WillInThe04Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoya View Post
Check out the Holden 60 concept and thats what it will look like.
Have you guys checked out the Cadillac CTS Coupe concept?
Old 03-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #7
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
The CTS coupe kind of disappoints me because I think that now that it is in pre-production the Coupe 60 will never see the light of day. Can always hope though. Btw, CaptainSam, you are the epitome of misinformation. I'm sorry man, but I just don't think I can believe you about anything anymore. You're trying too hard.
Kyle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #8
CaptianSam
Car Garage

man im on reading week
and i'm unaware about the gto's status

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555

B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
Old 03-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #9
swazworth
the nerd king

Drives: 2005 scion xb...
Quote:
I'm sorry man, but I just don't think I can believe you about anything anymore. You're trying too hard.
1+
i would really like to believe you too. but i think Kyle2k is right you're trying too hard.
swazworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:24 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham

I hate wasting posts just to say this...

please!

Old 03-02-2008, 10:53 PM   #11
swazworth
the nerd king

Drives: 2005 scion xb...
don't mean to dis
swazworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #12
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I don't want to disrespect either, throwing rumors around shouldn't be taken lightly though. He has information about the Challenger, Mustang, and Camaro...doesn't that just seem odd? I'm just playing the other side. As much as I would like to see a GTO I think the only possibility of that happening is going to by as a G8 coupe ala Coupe 60. If it is I will be first in line, but I think GM is already taking a lot of chances, especially with the wasted resources going towards the Granny coupe =P (CTS coupe, haha). I think GM rushed that out a little to quickly and jumped to conclusions that people would love it. IT isn't bad, but I think the Coupe 60 destroys it in every aspect, from price, to performance, to styling.
Kyle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:10 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham

I hear ya both, and I thank you for acknowledging me. But what else do we have besides rumors right now?

Outdated articles have been posted up before, and it'll happen again (especially about highly controversial cars like Impala, and GTO). All I ask is that we don't go at each others throats over it. Besides, at first - I thought this was completely legit. I mean...They didn't put a dang year on their article!! Who does that?!?!

Anyways. Again,
Old 03-03-2008, 05:35 AM   #14
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON

Drives: 2005 Saab 9-5 2.3T
Send a message via AIM to Camaro Lives On
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Besides, at first - I thought this was completely legit. I mean...They didn't put a dang year on their article!! Who does that?!?!

Anyways. Again,
ok, good, im not the only one that got tricked . seriously, they need to put dates on these things

Last edited by Camaro Lives On; 03-03-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Camaro Lives On is offline   Reply With Quote