Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #29
gillman123

Drives: 2012 SS Crystal-Red Automatic
I realize that this is an old thread,,,,,,,,

But I wanted to throw in my recent experience.

I have a 2012 SS/RS that has 45k miles on it and I have MRR Z28 Wheels (10"W in front and 11" in back) and two weeks ago, got two NEW TIRES for the fronts; 275/40/ZR20 Continental Xtreme Contacts and asked for an Alignment.

On the freeway going to work the next day, the steering wheels was VIBRATING bad at 55 mph and I noticed there were NO counter-weights on the wheels so the nationally-chained Tire Store did "another wheel balance" for me and then told me, "You need a left INNER TIE-ROD replaced".

Seemed like a "coincidence" to me that ONLY after they touched the suspension (to do an Alignment) that my Inner Tie-Rod went "bad". But I had it replaced (by someone else,,, that I trusted) and sure enough,,,,,, the steering wheel VIBRATION is GONE!!

Maybe you Mechanics out there can help me understand that front-end suspension really can be that "touchy" such that it fails after it is adjusted? Or maybe I should just accept the fact that it was likely ALREADY BAD (from the terrible Houston roads!) before I had the alignment done.

Either way,,,,, if your Steering Wheel ever has a bad VIBRATION that starts at 50mpg,,,,,, is at its worst at 55mph,,,,, and finally disappears at 60mph; then you may have a suspension problem and NOT hubs, wheel alignment, etc.

Just my $0.02
SCT Custom Tune by JRE w/ CAI cold air intake; front "bow-tie-delete"; Body-Color Rear bow-tie; MRR M228 Custom Brushed Alum Wheels by Need4Speed: Front are 20" x 10" w/ +23mm offset and P-Zero 275/40/20 and Rear are 20" x 11" w/ +43mm offset and Conti DW 315/35/20
gillman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:57 PM   #30
gillman123

Drives: 2012 SS Crystal-Red Automatic
UPDATE !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillman123 View Post
Seemed like a "coincidence" to me that ONLY after they touched the suspension (to do an Alignment) that my Inner Tie-Rod went "bad". But I had it replaced (by someone else,,, that I trusted) and sure enough,,,,,, the steering wheel VIBRATION is GONE!!
I was able to get the car on the freeway today (in traffic all the way up to freeway speeds),,,,,,, and the wheel VIBRATION is B.A.C.K. !#@#!!

Does anyone in the Houston area know of a reputable place that can do the "road-force-balance" that many here have mentioned?

I'm definitely NOT taking it back to the Nationally recognized Tire place again.
Thanks in advance for any input.
SCT Custom Tune by JRE w/ CAI cold air intake; front "bow-tie-delete"; Body-Color Rear bow-tie; MRR M228 Custom Brushed Alum Wheels by Need4Speed: Front are 20" x 10" w/ +23mm offset and P-Zero 275/40/20 and Rear are 20" x 11" w/ +43mm offset and Conti DW 315/35/20
gillman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:00 AM   #31
1sikgen5

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Im new to the Camaro scene but if it were me, id just go by process of elimination. Start replacing things. Id start with the hubs, check all the suspension bushings, tie rods, rack and pinion, struts etc. Anything that connects to the steering would be replaced if not checked thoroughly.
1sikgen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:11 AM   #32
Rob10CamaroSS

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Redline Phase 4
Mine does it too but I just go past the vibration real quick and hardly notice it at all anymore LOL
Old 03-20-2018, 09:12 AM   #33
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Suspension parts have to be really bad to cause a rotational vibration. Those are almost always cause by something that rotates ;-) Wheel, tire, rotor or hub face that is some how out of round.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:54 PM   #34
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcd View Post

Well, it turns out JusticePete and I were both correct.

The wheel/tire package was in balance (verified again on two different Hunter road force machines), but apparently the hub/rotor assembly was not. I finally solved the problem by rebalancing the wheels while they were mounted on the car to compensate for the problem in what turned out to be the front left hub assembly.

Using the current weights on the wheels as the 12 O'clock position, I added a 1/4-ounce weight to the already-balanced wheel at that position and moved it around the clock. I road-tested the car after each movement until the vibration finally improved at the 8 O'clock position. Then I added another 1/4-ounce weight at that position, and the vibration disappeared completely.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, and if there are other people out there with the same problem, you might want to give this a try.
Wouldn't it be better to just replace the hubs and be done with it? I have the same problem and took it to my dealership to balance with the Road Force on several occasions and it still vibrates at 50-54 mph then disappears after 60+ mph. Just doesn't make sense to balance the wheel/tire on the car to align with the hub, since each time you remove the wheels for whatever reason - you are right back at where you started and have to go back to the shop again.. NO?? Seems like a PITA.

I will have my dealership check my hubs and the tie rods to see if either of those may be the issue.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:27 PM   #35
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
Wouldn't it be better to just replace the hubs and be done with it? I have the same problem and took it to my dealership to balance with the Road Force on several occasions and it still vibrates at 50-54 mph then disappears after 60+ mph. Just doesn't make sense to balance the wheel/tire on the car to align with the hub, since each time you remove the wheels for whatever reason - you are right back at where you started and have to go back to the shop again.. NO?? Seems like a PITA.

I will have my dealership check my hubs and the tie rods to see if either of those may be the issue.
A while back, balancing on the car, balancing the complete tire, wheel, rotor and hub as an assembly was the best way to go. You marked a stud to align with the wheel stem so it could be put back the same way any time it was removed.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #36
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
A while back, balancing on the car, balancing the complete tire, wheel, rotor and hub as an assembly was the best way to go. You marked a stud to align with the wheel stem so it could be put back the same way any time it was removed.
Thanks for the explanation.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:34 PM   #37
Silverado34

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro RS/SS
I have another story for you. I bought a 2012 RS/SS in July. I put 20x9 z28 replica wheels on the front. I have had them balanced numerous time, by a couple of different shops. I just had them road forced balanced. I can tell the car drives smooth, but I have the front end shake. Now here's the kicker. The car only has 11,000 miles on it. Would anyone suggest replacing the front hubs? Sounds like this may be the issue. Any suggestions???
Silverado34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:25 AM   #38
P1100

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Had a similar issue a long time ago, not a Camaro but rear wheel drive. Car would vibrate between 70-75 mph. Every time I was in or went through that speed range. Was a driveshaft U joint.

Does your vibration change character if you change engine load or put the car in neutral?

Wheel balance usually stats and stays after a certain speed.

Could also move wheels front to back and see if vibration moves from the stearring wheel the the floor.

Another thought, does vibration occur at that speed during a “sharp” road bend? If you don’t have a bend to test on, what about rotating the steering wheel 5 degrees or so back an forth through center.
P1100 is offline   Reply With Quote