Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 07-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
cybercoaster

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anv, 1972 RS
noweeds diverter?

I really dont want to mod my ZL1 (I am sure I will cave in a few years) and would really like some of that raw sound. I miss the sound from my SS when driving the ZL1. Anyone thinking or put the noweeds diverter on? Will it fit the ZL1 or will they need to make a new model? I see that have one for L99 or LS3
cybercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
what is it?
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
RockyS18

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
what is it?
noweeds.net

Check it out.
RockyS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
RoketRdr

Drives: 2010 Duramax; 2012 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercoaster View Post
I really dont want to mod my ZL1 (I am sure I will cave in a few years) and would really like some of that raw sound. I miss the sound from my SS when driving the ZL1. Anyone thinking or put the noweeds diverter on? Will it fit the ZL1 or will they need to make a new model? I see that have one for L99 or LS3
That's a big no-no on a forced induction car unless its specifically tuned for the race track. For a daily driven street car the supercharger needs back-pressure to run properly. You would have to swap between two different tunes to run this system or loose power. On an NA car this would RAWK!
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
AKA
Go SteeleRS/SS

Drives: '11 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoketRdr View Post
That's a big no-no on a forced induction car unless its specifically tuned for the race track. For a daily driven street car the supercharger needs back-pressure to run properly. You would have to swap between two different tunes to run this system or loose power. On an NA car this would RAWK!
I know on a turbo car you dont want "backpressure" the shorter (after the turbo) and more free flowing the exhaust is, the better it is. So I dont agree with the its a big no-no on forced induction cars. I have also seen S/C cars with cut outs and they dont seem to have any problems. there are guys on here with cut outs, Im sure they will help you out. And I think you can buy a mild to wild switch like the vettes do to keep your factory exhaust open when you want. Also I think you could spend the $ somewhere else and see more gain. Just my two cents.
AKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
RoketRdr

Drives: 2010 Duramax; 2012 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleRS/SS View Post
I know on a turbo car you dont want "backpressure" the shorter (after the turbo) and more free flowing the exhaust is, the better it is. So I dont agree with the its a big no-no on forced induction cars. I have also seen S/C cars with cut outs and they dont seem to have any problems. there are guys on here with cut outs, Im sure they will help you out. And I think you can buy a mild to wild switch like the vettes do to keep your factory exhaust open when you want. Also I think you could spend the $ somewhere else and see more gain. Just my two cents.
We were talking about the ZL1 so when I stated "forced induction" that's what I'm referring to as that's what the OP is talking about. We don't have any turboed ZL1's we have supercharged ZL1's. And I've owed 3 Duramax's making over 700hp each with twins so I'm aware of the difference and what each requires. However, those that are running straight exhaust with a daily driven supercharged car just don't understand how it works and that they're actually loosing power and boost. As I said...unless its a track tuned race car, straight piping a supercharged daily driver is a no-no unless you're looking to reduce your boost and power level. There's a reason why tuners don't do this. And a mild-to-wild switch has nothing to do with this as its just opening and closing a valve on the MUFFLERS (back-pressure). Which still doesn't make them a straight through exhaust and is restrictive maintaining the necessary back-pressure to keep boost levels up. Attached a pic so you can see that its not a straight through flowing system. My CTS-V stayed open constantly so I'm very well aware of this. There's a very good reason why none of the tuners on this forum are straight piping or removing the exhaust from their ZL1 packages and are making 700hp+ with the factory stock exhaust system.
Attached Images

RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
AKA
Go SteeleRS/SS

Drives: '11 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
We were talking about the ZL1 so when I stated "forced induction" that's what I'm referring to as that's what the OP is talking about. We don't have any turboed ZL1's we have supercharged ZL1's. And I've owed 3 Duramax's making over 700hp each with twins so I'm aware of the difference and what each requires. However, those that are running straight exhaust with a daily driven supercharged car just don't understand how it works and that they're actually loosing power and boost. As I said...unless its a track tuned race car, straight piping a supercharged daily driver is a no-no unless you're looking to reduce your boost and power level. There's a reason why tuners don't do this. And a mild-to-wild switch has nothing to do with this as its just opening and closing a valve on the MUFFLERS (back-pressure). Which still doesn't make them a straight through exhaust and is restrictive maintaining the necessary back-pressure to keep boost levels up. Attached a pic so you can see that its not a straight through flowing system. My CTS-V stayed open constantly so I'm very well aware of this. There's a very good reason why none of the tuners on this forum are straight piping or removing the exhaust from their ZL1 packages and are making 700hp+ with the factory stock exhaust system.
IDK, you said forced induction. turbos qualify. and for the mild to wild, the op wants louder exhaust, i think thats an option, let him decide.
AKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #8
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
That no weeds thing looks cheap and hokey. Better off with headers etc.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
I've put an exhaust commander on it and it really opens up the sound. It was cheap $80-90 and easy to install myself. I also put a CAI (more expensive - $500 and it increased the sound level a bit. You also get lots of pop's with the "open" exhaust which I love. they say the CAI adds 20hp with NO tune, which si gerat. I actually feel a bit of power difference.
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Quote:
is this a ZL-1 muffler pictured?
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote