Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
BigDan

Drives: bug
When is GM going to make a 100mpg diesel hybrid?

I remember watching on TV a bunch of colleges campus and other GM sponsored companies that have been making 100mpg+ 4,000lb vehicles for a few years now. Where are they and how much longer do we have to put up with and be excited over 40mpg gas hybrids when they could put a diesel in it and get 100mpg+ Volt's on the highways.

I would like to get the wife a new vehicle next year but I don't do well with regret and research the heck out of my purchases and know there is something better on the horizon considering we will be out of affordable fuel is 15 years. I might just lease something or buy a really nice 08+ used car.

Last edited by BigDan; 02-08-2011 at 11:01 PM.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
can you buy one off of these supposed colleges that make them? Then retro fit airbags etc
Old 02-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
I remember watching on TV a bunch of colleges campus and other GM sponsored companies that have been making 100mpg+ 4,000lb vehicles for a few years now. Where are they and how much longer do we have to put up with and be excited over 40mpg gas hybrids when they could put a diesel in it and get 100mpg+ Volt's on the highways.

I would like to get the wife a new vehicle next year but I don't do well with regret and research the heck out of my purchases and know there is something better on the horizon considering we will be out of affordable fuel is 15 years. I might just lease something or a really nice 08+ used car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
can you buy one off of these supposed colleges that make them? Then retro fit airbags etc
The second question is a great answer to the first.

Those are great science projects...and they get students interested in automotive technology, and more importantly, GM gets to scout for potential recruits...but they are just that -- science projects. If they could pass validation/durability testing, emissions, and safety standards...we wouldn't be waiting.

Another aspect is diesel emissions. While several companies have found ways in...the US HAMMERS diesel emissions, and it tends to makes diesels uneconomical solutions in the marketplace.

And finally...the perception of diesel in cars is still not there. People don't want them like they should.

If you've got the money, I'd lease a Volt if you're worried about fuel prices the future. Enjoy it for 3 years or whatever the term is for a respectable lease rate of $350, and then exchange it for the next-gen Volt when it's out.