Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
FB3

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS LS3, BRM, NPP
Solo Hi Flows and CEL - Update

I had new Solo hi flow cats installed on my car a couple of weeks ago. Ran fine and sounds great. However I got the dreaded CEL light today. I have about 100 miles on the car since the install. Have not had the CEL checked for code, but am almost certain that it is from the cats. The car has less than 400 miles on it now.

l guess my first step would be to take it back where it was installed and have them check torque on all of the connectors. Other than than I don't know what to do. Anyone have any suggestions?

I just got a code reader and it shows the P0430, catalytic converter inefficiency, bank 2. I reset it and plan on taking the car back to the shop that installed the cats. They will check everything for no cost.

Last edited by FB3; 04-05-2014 at 12:32 PM.
FB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
I think this happens to every car at some point, until you get a tune.
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #3
BasedSS

Drives: 2014 SS
Its most likely because of the mod. If you want to get rid of the CEL you will need to tune it out.
2014 SS Stainless Works Headers w/ high flow cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Exhaust, Jannety Tune, Hurst short throw, APEX catch can, Tampa Tunning Throttle Body, APEX/Gen5 LED fogs, CAI Intake system, Diode Dynamics LED's, ACS T4 Splitter
BasedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:57 PM   #4
FB3

The hi flows should not cause a cel. They have the O2 sensor extenders. There are many forum members running them with no problem, but there have been a few installations that will throw the light.

Full headers will most likely need a tune to get rid of the CEL but hi flow cats should not trigger the light. Just my luck.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
I have both the Solo Hi Flow Cats and the MACH XL Cat Back system on. Both have been on the car for almost two months with no CEL.....that is until about a week ago...doesn't bother me and I eventually will get a tune done to clear it but I will wait a bit since it only has 3500 miles on it.
cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #6
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FB3 View Post
I had new Solo hi flow cats installed on my car a couple of weeks ago. Ran fine and sounds great. However I got the dreaded CEL light today. I have about 100 miles on the car since the install. Have not had the CEL checked for code, but am almost certain that it is from the cats. The car has less than 400 miles on it now.

l guess my first step would be to take it back where it was installed and have them check torque on all of the connectors. Other than than I don't know what to do. Anyone have any suggestions?
Solos are not supposed to throw CELs. I'm getting ready to put them on my '13 LS3 w/NPP so I'm VERY interested with your situation. Get the code(s) read to see what the code(s) are before tighning anything. See if they're front or rear O2 codes, and if you're getting them on both sides or just one. Most likey its a bad flange connection or O2 connection. Post updates once you do. Was the installer expierenced with Gen5s? l
camguynj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:15 PM   #7
angryv6
Lake Erie Monster

Drives: 02 Hyundai Santa Fe and 13 300
Check the manifolds, others were saying that the gaskets weren't lining up. Also make sure the sensors haven't backed out.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:30 AM   #8
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
What is the code it's throwing? That would be your first bit of investigation. This is a thread I'm interested in because I'm considering these. PA makes you go through inspection ANNUALLY, so a CEL would be a major headache and you may as well get LT's at that point. If these cats throw CEL's regularly, there is absolutely no reason to purchase them.

It's times like these I'm glad I have a code scanner.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #9
cplhester

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Manual
I have the same problem and called solo. They said #1 check for a exhaust leak at the cats. #2 check the sensors to make sure they haven't loosened. #3 if none of the above is the problem the sensors are bad and they will send new ones out. I am going to take mine to the shop Monday.
cplhester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #10
FB3

Thanks for the comments. I do not have an OBD reader, but will try to get by an auto supply store and get the code read, then I guess it is just a process of elimination. Will update when I have some more information.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #11
Longhorn

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro 2SS RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by FB3 View Post
Thanks for the comments. I do not have an OBD reader, but will try to get by an auto supply store and get the code read, then I guess it is just a process of elimination. Will update when I have some more information.
It happened to me a couple of months ago. I have the Solo hi-flows and the XL catback. I had someone clear the code and it never came back.
Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #12
digdeep0169

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
same with me. installed them, 30 mins into drive, "check engine" light came on. took the car to Chev dealership, had them "clear the code" it threw (didn't get which code it was) awesome! drove around another 1/2 hr. went home. the next time i turned the car on, it threw the cell again... haven't done anything about it.

~ 2012 SS ~
digdeep0169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #13
2010 yellow 2ss/rs

Drives: 2011 inferno orange 2ss/rs
its the rear o2 sensors you will need to tune. you have increase the flow of air throught the engine so your air fuel mixture will be off. the tune will give you the greatest hp gains. just have the tuner shut off or loop the rear sensors.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #14
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 yellow 2ss/rs View Post
its the rear o2 sensors you will need to tune. you have increase the flow of air throught the engine so your air fuel mixture will be off. the tune will give you the greatest hp gains. just have the tuner shut off or loop the rear sensors.
What does it mean to " loop rear sensors" ?
camguynj is online now   Reply With Quote