Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-28-2011, 12:15 AM   #225
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
I understand all that but if I were going to spend 45k on a Mustang Boss, I would drop the extra 1-2k and opt for the proven Shelby, with minor tweaks the Shelby will be capable of much more performance. It's also funny how the Boss supposedly has years of track history but already has transmission issue, you would have thought Ford would have caught this in their testing. You are marketing a car to be abused at the track and right out of the gate you have transmission problems, what's next?
You can find the Boss for MSRP but the Boss is a road racer and not a strip car. The transmission issues were with the 2011s and that was only a handful of MT82s, the 2012s shipped with the correct fluid in them. I own a 2011 MT82 Mustang and I only have issues in the winter when it is cold. Follow the TSB and you will be fine. The Boss 302R uses the same transmission and they never have any problems with them. If you look at the specs for the MT82 (6MT1500) you will see how incredible it really is. Getrag makes some of the worlds best transmissions regardless if they are built in Liverpool and assembled in China.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:20 AM   #226
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
That was funny how the camaro pulls away from the boss on the launch You guys are comparing a RACE car against a freaking daily driver, so for the camaro keeping that close PROVES that the car can hold its own... just like stated... add full exhaust, intake and a tune ( boss already has that) and some suspension work and lighter wheels to equal the playing field on the boss and what will happen, my money is on the camaro! The better looking street car with a few mods racing door to door with a factory built street legal race car sounds like a fail on fords part! I will stick with my SS and being proud to know I can hang with a boss with a little work
We are comparing stock for stock and on the Boss 302's worst day it is still much faster than the SS. Currently the Boss 302 is dominant in Grand Am Continental Tire GS and SCCA Pirelli Tire World Challenge GTS in which the cars are as close to stock as they are ever going to get. Could the Boss Mustang reel in championships in Grand Am and SCCA? It very well could be that way... The Camaro? not so much...

That race was at New Jersey Motorsports Park and having a 2 second advantage at a 1.9 mile course is a lifetime. The Boss 302R just won there last weekend in Grand Am, do you know where the Camaro finished? in 14th place.... Remember, that is 2 seconds a lap and at the end of the day you find yourself a lap or two down. As for getting a better launch Chris said this
Quote:
If you look close, the Boss fried the tires out of the hole really bad. Otherwise, this wouldn't have even been a race.

You can tell the Boss driver was really driving. He got squirrely in a few spots. The guy in the Camaro was giving it his all, too. Both drivers are AmericanMuscle employees that both race professionally as well. There was so much pride up for grabs with this race! Literally, they were talking trash back and forth for a while before this race.

I don't think Jim had a chance in that Camaro, though.

Last edited by thePill; 07-28-2011 at 12:43 AM.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:16 AM   #227
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
We are comparing stock for stock and on the Boss 302's worst day it is still much faster than the SS. Currently the Boss 302 is dominant in Grand Am Continental Tire GS and SCCA Pirelli Tire World Challenge GTS in which the cars are as close to stock as they are ever going to get. Could the Boss Mustang reel in championships in Grand Am and SCCA? It very well could be that way... The Camaro? not so much...

That race was at New Jersey Motorsports Park and having a 2 second advantage at a 1.9 mile course is a lifetime. The Boss 302R just won there last weekend in Grand Am, do you know where the Camaro finished? in 14th place.... Remember, that is 2 seconds a lap and at the end of the day you find yourself a lap or two down. As for getting a better launch Chris said this
Who won the previous race??? Where did the Boss stand in that one?? Yeah, we can all play that game!
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #228
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
LIKE I SAID, your comaparing a race car to a daily driver muscle car! Ford built a street legal RACE car... That is not what the camaro is!
Old 07-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #229
Sleestack

Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Quote:
Ford built a street legal RACE car... That is not what the camaro is!
Only GM can help you with that deficit.....
Old 07-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #230
Bad70supreme

Who needs help, I dont care the boss is a faster car... it freakin should be Thats my hole point... I dont need GM to build anything to compete with the boss, GM builds vettes and thats all they need to do! I didnt buy a camaro thinking it was going to wip the floor with every car on the road, for you idiots making a big deal about the boss beating a regular SS is a joke. Thats the hole freaking point of the boss in the first place. And still... after my cam and tires... I dont think beating a boss in the 1/4 will be very hard considering 1/4 mile is the racing I do anyway. Why dont you go hang on a stang forum since your swiging from there nuts already.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #231
REEFBLUE93
Account Suspended

Drives: 1993 Rustang
Quote:
Who needs help, I dont care the boss is a faster car... it freakin should be Thats my hole point... I dont need GM to build anything to compete with the boss, GM builds vettes and thats all they need to do! I didnt buy a camaro thinking it was going to wip the floor with every car on the road, for you idiots making a big deal about the boss beating a regular SS is a joke. Thats the hole freaking point of the boss in the first place. And still... after my cam and tires... I dont think beating a boss in the 1/4 will be very hard considering 1/4 mile is the racing I do anyway. Why dont you go hang on a stang forum since your swiging from there nuts already.
For not caring about the BOSS being faster, you sure did go on a defensive tirade there
You're right though, it had damn well better be faster but I don't think you'll be brushing off BOSS Mustangs with your cam and tires either, for the very simple and proven fact that with tires and a tune on the BOSS you're still getting beat...
REEFBLUE93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #232
Bad70supreme

I am getting defensive because of the coments made by other people not the fact that a boss is faster. And for a tire and tune only boss to take me... I will believe it when it happens, all I here is dyno numbers and internet hero runs... and this goes for all 3 makes! Racing is won by drivers on a real track in any given condition ,in ANY car were anything can happen not on the internet! I dont know how many times I have beat the faster car or the slower car has beat me... and its all fun anyway, and thats the hole point.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #233
Erik@Torq

Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
I have to admit, for what it is the Boss is a really stout car. I agree on that is more purpose built for the track then anything else, and as it has the proper upgrades and is lighter then the SS I would be surprised if it wasn't faster then an SS on the road course.

When I was at Sebring a few weeks ago there were several Boss Mustangs, but there was one that had a driver who knew what he was doing behind the wheel and we had a blast out there. He had intake/tune, R-comps on 18's and proper brake pads as well. I was running my Camaro with Pfadt coil-overs, and about 50 more hp then he had. The power to weight ratio was probably pretty much the same, but one advantage he had that I really did notice at Sebring was his gearing. Coming out of some of the turns he would easily pull on me the first seconds until I could wind my motor out! Other then that we were quite even and after a few fun laps I hammered down and overtook him

Our lap times probably differed about 1-2 sec in my favor. I just installed 3.73 gears this week, so I can't wait t head back to the road course see how much it did!

Here is a video from that event, he is the one in red in the first section of the video. I will post up a different clip of 2 laps chasing him down

/Erik
Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #234
Bad70supreme

Thank you for posting that! Thats just what I was trying to get at, the boss is a bad car but that goes to show... do some work on your own car and there you have it Enough said!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #235
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik@Torq View Post
I have to admit, for what it is the Boss is a really stout car. I agree on that is more purpose built for the track then anything else, and as it has the proper upgrades and is lighter then the SS I would be surprised if it wasn't faster then an SS on the road course.

When I was at Sebring a few weeks ago there were several Boss Mustangs, but there was one that had a driver who knew what he was doing behind the wheel and we had a blast out there. He had intake/tune, R-comps on 18's and proper brake pads as well. I was running my Camaro with Pfadt coil-overs, and about 50 more hp then he had. The power to weight ratio was probably pretty much the same, but one advantage he had that I really did notice at Sebring was his gearing. Coming out of some of the turns he would easily pull on me the first seconds until I could wind my motor out! Other then that we were quite even and after a few fun laps I hammered down and overtook him

Our lap times probably differed about 1-2 sec in my favor. I just installed 3.73 gears this week, so I can't wait t head back to the road course see how much it did!

Here is a video from that event, he is the one in red in the first section of the video. I will post up a different clip of 2 laps chasing him down

/Erik
SWWEEETTT!! So a cam and tires and a little suspension work will beat a Boss. I cannot wait until Pony Wars.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #236
zero

Drives: Black 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik@Torq View Post

/Erik
wicked video and driving... you make it look so easy.. I really enjoyed watching.
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #237
assasinator
1 n the head,2 n da chest

Drives: 2002 cadillac deville
Quote:
Thank you for posting that! Thats just what I was trying to get at, the boss is a bad car but that goes to show... do some work on your own car and there you have it Enough said!

theres no way a Boss can use bolt ons and cams too.
2011GT E85, Kooks 1-7/8", 3" offroad X, 2-7/8" overaxles, Roush mufflers, CobraJet intake, SCJ monoblade throttle body, drew 4.5" CAI, Boss302S exhaust valve springs, Baby CobraJet exhaust cams. 3.73 gears, lightweight 300A. 455rwhp @7800/410rwtq SAE 5000lb roller dynojet
assasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #238
Erik@Torq

Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero View Post
wicked video and driving... you make it look so easy.. I really enjoyed watching.
Thank you sir, I enjoyed driving it

/Erik
Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote