Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #155
JustCraig

Drives: 07 Super Bee #587 & 07 Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2ren View Post
Wow then why did they pick the lowest number to put on the big graphics? Should just used the more common numbers to use for the V6. Most car companies even put up the mpg on the entry level engines next to the horsepower and torque on the top trim engines...... I know giving underestimated number is good for the consumer but not very smart from a competitive stand point
Wow. Just noticed that myself. I went directly to the specs page. I have a feeling that marketing may have screwed the pooch on that one.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #156
SSinisterLS3

Drives: 07 C6 LS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
What kind of issues are you having with your SS?
To be perfectly honest, I think lots of people have issues with their camaro, but shun away from telling the truth. I ran into a guy LAST night while out with a black 2LS. I talked to him about this same issue. This was after talking to my brother about it (his dealer sold me the car.) The number one issue is paint. It's horrible. It peels under the spoiler without you doing anything to it. I'm guessing vibration from the wind? I don't know. I see scratches on it, yet, I've put less than 1,000 miles on it in like six months. I garage it, yet always find some sort of ding, scratch, or a random thin spot in the paint. That's the main issue.

Next is the halo headlights. WORST idea for a camaro EVER. People always say "Just get aftermarket." At 39,000 plus for a 2SS, these should NOT have to be replaced after only a year since being assembled. I had to fight with the dealer because I took it in, and one dealer said "Bulb issue. Normal wear and tear." They said the same for the paint. I took it to another dealer, who said the headlights burning different colors and flickering was a wiring issue covered by warranty. They would do it. After being quoted for a four hour job, I got it back three days later. Not a big deal for me as I have a motorcycle and a patrol car for work. Get the bill, and they try charging me for it. Had to complain and fight for an hour before getting my keys from the dealership manager himself. He apologized and all, but this is something I shouldn't have to deal with.

The skip shift is annoying, but not as annoying as the inconsistency of it. Sometimes, it does it. Most of the time, it does not. That's minor, and I don't really care....just kind of irks me when I'm not expecting it to do it, and it does. I also have a steering wheel wine that is explained as normal. It is, and is something lots freak out over. I did, and sat in my brother's 2012 SS when he bought it brand new. It whined right off the showroom floor.

Although most are minor, I can't get past the fact that there is a 2SS for sale at this dealer for 43,599. That's a lot of money to have these issues. We are talking price range for a loaded 5.0 or a nicely equipped RT Challenger. BOTH of which I have not heard of any MAJOR issue with. The 5.0 had the trans problem, but admitted it was a problem. I don't care how many problems a car has, as long as the dealer ADMITS their mistake, and FIXES it. GM still won't admit the paint problem. I showed the 2LS owner last night that his spoiler was peeling. I also showed my brother his is doing the same.....with only 4,000 miles on it. Dealers dismiss it as wear and tear as GM won't admit the fault.

It's sad I've only had this thing six months, and never drive it. I already gave up on the exterior, as it is so bad of quality, there's just no saving it. I paid 26,000 for a 2SS loaded. All the options. Didn't want a 2SS....wanted a 1SS. For the price of a 1SS, you can get a slightly used 2SS....so I went that route just for the sake of resale. Honestly, if I had to do it over, I would have just bought a good mileage 4th gen. I do love my SS, but I don't feel the "wow" factor that my 2000 Z28 gave me. I even plan to paint this car navy blue metallic in memory of that car.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #157
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSinisterLS3 View Post
To be perfectly honest, I think lots of people have issues with their camaro, but shun away from telling the truth. I ran into a guy LAST night while out with a black 2LS. I talked to him about this same issue. This was after talking to my brother about it (his dealer sold me the car.) The number one issue is paint. It's horrible. It peels under the spoiler without you doing anything to it. I'm guessing vibration from the wind? I don't know. I see scratches on it, yet, I've put less than 1,000 miles on it in like six months. I garage it, yet always find some sort of ding, scratch, or a random thin spot in the paint. That's the main issue.

Next is the halo headlights. WORST idea for a camaro EVER. People always say "Just get aftermarket." At 39,000 plus for a 2SS, these should NOT have to be replaced after only a year since being assembled. I had to fight with the dealer because I took it in, and one dealer said "Bulb issue. Normal wear and tear." They said the same for the paint. I took it to another dealer, who said the headlights burning different colors and flickering was a wiring issue covered by warranty. They would do it. After being quoted for a four hour job, I got it back three days later. Not a big deal for me as I have a motorcycle and a patrol car for work. Get the bill, and they try charging me for it. Had to complain and fight for an hour before getting my keys from the dealership manager himself. He apologized and all, but this is something I shouldn't have to deal with.

The skip shift is annoying, but not as annoying as the inconsistency of it. Sometimes, it does it. Most of the time, it does not. That's minor, and I don't really care....just kind of irks me when I'm not expecting it to do it, and it does. I also have a steering wheel wine that is explained as normal. It is, and is something lots freak out over. I did, and sat in my brother's 2012 SS when he bought it brand new. It whined right off the showroom floor.

Although most are minor, I can't get past the fact that there is a 2SS for sale at this dealer for 43,599. That's a lot of money to have these issues. We are talking price range for a loaded 5.0 or a nicely equipped RT Challenger. BOTH of which I have not heard of any MAJOR issue with. The 5.0 had the trans problem, but admitted it was a problem. I don't care how many problems a car has, as long as the dealer ADMITS their mistake, and FIXES it. GM still won't admit the paint problem. I showed the 2LS owner last night that his spoiler was peeling. I also showed my brother his is doing the same.....with only 4,000 miles on it. Dealers dismiss it as wear and tear as GM won't admit the fault.

It's sad I've only had this thing six months, and never drive it. I already gave up on the exterior, as it is so bad of quality, there's just no saving it. I paid 26,000 for a 2SS loaded. All the options. Didn't want a 2SS....wanted a 1SS. For the price of a 1SS, you can get a slightly used 2SS....so I went that route just for the sake of resale. Honestly, if I had to do it over, I would have just bought a good mileage 4th gen. I do love my SS, but I don't feel the "wow" factor that my 2000 Z28 gave me. I even plan to paint this car navy blue metallic in memory of that car.
When exactly did Ford admit they had a problem with the trans in the 5.0? Mine was bad but they (the dealer and ford corporate) swore up and down that they didn't have issues with the trans, despite the fact that googling the issue nets you page after page of problems with the MT-82 trans. Ford would never admit it to me, so that car is now gone. I'll take my burnt out halos and bad paint before I ever buy another ford product like that one.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #158
SSinisterLS3

Drives: 07 C6 LS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
When exactly did Ford admit they had a problem with the trans in the 5.0? Mine was bad but they (the dealer and ford corporate) swore up and down that they didn't have issues with the trans, despite the fact that googling the issue nets you page after page of problems with the MT-82 trans. Ford would never admit it to me, so that car is now gone. I'll take my burnt out halos and bad paint before I ever buy another ford product like that one.
It IS a TSB, and NHSTA is forcing a recall on the issue soon. Ford WILL fix this issue due to the TSB, and I've seen it first hand. Info is all over the place on how to get it done. If you didn't get it fixed, you didn't go to the right dealer.....with the right knowledge on the issue.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #159
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:
It IS a TSB, and NHSTA is forcing a recall on the issue soon. Ford WILL fix this issue due to the TSB, and I've seen it first hand. Info is all over the place on how to get it done. If you didn't get it fixed, you didn't go to the right dealer.....with the right knowledge on the issue.
Was there a new TSB or an addendum/update after this one? http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/1...-transmission/
Old 11-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #160
2012 IngotSilver 5.0
FIVE.OH

Drives: 2016 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2ren View Post
Lol thank you~ He does think the mustang has a more subtle look, which is part of the reason he went with it out of the 3 choices given his age.
He was really torn between the mustang and the camaro, in the end he said "It would look too 'mid-life crisis' when an old guy like me comes out of a flashy car like the camaro"
His mustang is metallic grey with no stripes, almost as low-key as you can get on the 2013. But once in a while he would actually stop by chevy dealer on the way home and wonder if he made the right choice
Current Stang design is 9 years old, so definitely more "subtle" than the Camaro. When I had my '10 LS Camaro in 2011, I was getting props everywhere I went.

Being a tad over 50 ("old guy"? LOL), I wasn't really concerned about the "mid life crisis" thing. Anyone who knows me knows that I've driven performance cars my entire life. Eight Mustang GT's, one Camaro, a Nova SS, a Cobalt SS/SC, a 240-Z, an SRT-4, etc.

But seeing how my current Stang is a base model and is the first Silver car I've ever owned, you've got me thinking ...

Was my subconscious telling the "old guy" to go low key? If so, it still didn't stop me from getting my first speeding ticket in 23 years years this past August.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #161
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
My dealer did both my fixes no questions asked. And page after page of problems is a bit exaggerated. Is it a higher than normal amount? Maybe. But out of all the Mustang owners I know it seems like I'm the only one that's had an issue lol

And Sinister, that sucks about your issues man. i owned a g37 that gave me same types of headaches. It really takes the joy out of owning the car. And you're a 5-0 that eats 5.0s? I'm a 5-0 with a 5.0. I feel a drag race coming on!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #162
2012 IngotSilver 5.0
FIVE.OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty5th View Post
Was there a new TSB or an addendum/update after this one? http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/1...-transmission/
As far as I know, the TSB addressed first year 5.0 2011 models and the fix had already been implemented for 2012+ production cars.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #163
2012 IngotSilver 5.0
FIVE.OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
My dealer did both my fixes no questions asked. And page after page of problems is a bit exaggerated. Is it a higher than normal amount? Maybe. But out of all the Mustang owners I know it seems like I'm the only one that's had an issue lol
My manual 6 speed has had a slight 2nd gear whine since new, but that's about it. Trans shifts great, no grinds, no problems (have 7k on the car).

First car I've owned that gets rubber in the first 4 gears!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #164
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

It's too bad that these issues have soured your taste on what should be a beautiful car to you. Can't say I blame you.. I had a similar experience (loving a vehicle, then having it go to crap on you), with my 2005 Grand Cherokee.

Though I don't like how fragile the paint is, I think I "fixed" most everything cosmetic about the camaro I didn't like. I've resolved myself that it will probably need a new paintjob in 6 years, as mine is a daily driver.

yes.. I would say that it shouldn't be that way, given the price of the car.. (and the fact that the Rally Yellow on the car is $105 a pint at wholesale cost).
Old 11-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #165
10CamaroIOM
Loves All Muscle Cars

Drives: 1997 Silverado Z71
It all depends on looks and styling, just like in the old muscle car days. Mainly that is what people prefer, that and price. Usually the Mustang is cheaper than the Camaro, and a used Mustang is cheaper than a used Camaro. I priced them yesterday, a 2011 Mustang GT was $22,000, and a 2011 Camaro SS was $29,000, both had mileage in the same range, one was black and the other was gray. My mom has a 2005 Mustang GT, she doesn't like the Camaro, but she has never liked the Camaro, just doesn't like the way they look and drive over the Mustang. Sure, if someone was to hand her a Minivan or a Camaro, she'd obviously take the Camaro, but Mustang VS. Camaro, she'd take her Mustang.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #166
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
I looked at both, both good. The Camaro's styling is spectacular, show car cool. The Mustang is a rental car in comparison - that's what the wife said...and the kids. They just eye rolled me when I discussed the Mustang.

The interior of the Camaro and other aspects of the car felt more sophisticated, I like the 6.2, and finally the Camaro is 5 star safety rated in EVERYTHING. I think there are three other cars like that.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #167
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 IngotSilver 5.0 View Post
My manual 6 speed has had a slight 2nd gear whine since new, but that's about it. Trans shifts great, no grinds, no problems (have 7k on the car).

First car I've owned that gets rubber in the first 4 gears!
Wait until that whine develops into a loud, supercharger-like whine in every gear. That's what I had, without the benefit of a supercharger. Ford place refused to completely fix the issue. The car shifted great but it's a bit disconcerting to have the engine noise drowned out by the transmission.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #168
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
T

Closed Thread