Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 03-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #57
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
Not true at all. After 17 months & 43,205 miles I don't have any squeaks. I've had a few top problems, but squeaking and/or road/wind noise was not one of the issues.
Mine doesn't squeak either.

Phillies Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie and Chevrolet!!!!
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #58
bulllett

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I wouldn't call them trolls, just bitter and disgruntled. I can understand because many feel like they were used as beta testers for the convertibles and had a hard time getting satisfaction when they had problems.
Let's try to put this to bed.

First off, I'd agree in general with what you said Angrybird. Many of the people who have had problems are bitter and disgruntled. Certainly for good reason (as you allude to).

As has been said on here, many, many, many times, the problems haven't been in the problem itself (as in the tops being defective), the problems have been in the way they were addressed by the dealerships AND GM (for those that don't know, you can kick back a couple of years and see the start of the answers that were given to those that had problems. I won't go through all that here).

But the good news is, it appears that GM has started to come around and NOT be blatantly argumentative with these problems and are starting to back off blaming the customer with the "normal" comments. Is it because a lot of us who had problems continued to put pressure on? Possibly. Is it because many who have problems now also have information in hand to address the problems? Could be. We are now seeing a bit more often an actual conversation between customer and dealership about a strategy to address the problem. As opposed to a confrontation about it not even being a problem (or a problem caused by the customer)

But regardless of reasons, you now have information on these problems to base your decisions upon. Information is power and you need to decide if you can put up with these issues if you are one of the "lucky" ones that get them.

As far as the numbers of cars with problems; unless GM is willing to give out information and numbers, we'll never know the extent of the problem. Those that say it is very limited point to the people that have no problem. Those that say its extensive, point to the people that do have problems. Suffcice it to say, that there is a known problem out there. The extent of which is unknown but it is there.

Now, here's where you come in RiCEADDiCTBOY; you did have the opportunity to check out this forum and other's before you made the buy. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, you didn't (maybe your weren't able to find them in time). If you did you would have had the background information to make an informed decision based on your "anxiety level".

But since you didn't find this site (or the FB site, or any other site that has the info) before you entered into contract/ordering, all is not lost. Take these words of advice;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
OP if you start worrying about problems others have had and you haven't you won't be able to enjoy the car. My suggestion is to enjoy your car and worry about problems as they happen. My daddy always said don't worry about things you can't control, it only keeps you from enjoying the things you can control.
And this;
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1/SS View Post
That car is an early 2012 build and may or may not have problems. At this point there's no way to tell. You'll have to drive it and see what happens. The problem that most people are having is the way GM is (or is not) fixing the problem.

If you drive the car for a year and start to get holes in your top, then you'll get to see what they mean. If your going to worry about it, I would buy a different car.

I keep mine stored in the garage and put about 2500 to 3000 miles on it. And while some people do use it as a daily driver, there's no way I would. And while some people park their's outside, year around, again there's no way I would.
{Except for this ;
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1/SS View Post
So far as I know, there's no extended warranty on the top from anyone.
Actually there is. I have one as do others on here. Specifically including the top. But we had to go to GM to get them.}

So OP, go out and drive the car like you want to drive the car. Worry is going to get you nowhere but the hospital with ulcers and then you won't be able to enjoy your car These cars are a pretty nice work of art and can be a blast to drive (this from a former "Mustang" guy). So deal the problems IF you get them, but in the mean time, enjoy.
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #59
IncrediblyX

Drives: Red
17k miles. no issues here!

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
IncrediblyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #60
Nobckseat

Drives: 2002 EB Corvette Convertible
Great info guys. Been a lurker for a while, now just sold my Vette Convertible so I have a back seat. Is there any posted info on what convertible years to avoid? Or single thread to look out for. Not buying new.
Nobckseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #61
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobckseat View Post
Great info guys. Been a lurker for a while, now just sold my Vette Convertible so I have a back seat. Is there any posted info on what convertible years to avoid? Or single thread to look out for. Not buying new.
General rule of thumb not to buy any that were built before April 2012. Before that its hit and miss, like playing Russian roulette with 3 bullets.