Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
armando416

Drives: Camaro 2SS IBM/Grand Prix
Question transmission skipping/lurching

Let me preface this post by saying I ordered a 2SS manual, but haven't driven stick in many years. Maybe this is normal manual-tranny behavior and I just forgot...

Anyways, when I am driving at relatively low speeds (25mph or less), especially in first and second gear, the car seems to have a noticable 'lurching' type feeling while moving. It feels like it would if I was lightly tapping on the brakes in my AT Grand Prix, although much less pronounced. I don't think anyone riding in my car has noticed it, maybe it is something you would only notice as the driver since it is fairly subtle (although I have no plans to let anyone else drive my car to find out!). So is this normal? Or if there is something wrong, anyone have any guesses? Maybe I am blowing it out of proportion since it is a brand-new car (and my first one ever, at that) and I just expect everything to be perfect.
armando416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Are you totally letting off the clutch when in gear? Make sure the pedal comes all the way out. In addition it's somewhat normal for the clutch to act up a bit during break-in. It has to seat like a giant brake pad. That's why I advise folks not to burn out or dog it till after first oil service as scheduled. If it's doing that afterwards then let a service tech go with you for a test drive.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
shadowed_Stranger
WAITING!

Drives: 97 V6 5spd
I would have to say the same thing as vash, just make sure you have your foor completely off of the clutch (as in, dead pedal). I was teaching my little brother how to ride a dirtbike yesterday, and it did the same exact thing, and we could not figure it out. I told him to make absolutely sure he is not touching the clutch at all, and it stopped happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C P View Post
I'll go ahead and say it... how could GM let this happen? They have 5 years to develop the new Camaro and no force field to protect from uninsured drivers???? I'm buying a Honda.
shadowed_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
DEW

Drives: Hoopdee
Sounds like your lugging the motor. In other words, the RPM is too low for the gear your in. This is not good for a new motor!

BUILD - 6/12/2009
Airaid V2, Flowmaster AT
DEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
Kenny

Drives: 2010 SS RS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEW View Post
Sounds like your lugging the motor. In other words, the RPM is too low for the gear your in. This is not good for a new motor!
This is what i was thinking. What RPM are you at when it happens?
Old 06-13-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
daniel@txangl.com

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS,09 G8 GXP,00 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by armando416 View Post
Let me preface this post by saying I ordered a 2SS manual, but haven't driven stick in many years. Maybe this is normal manual-tranny behavior and I just forgot...

Anyways, when I am driving at relatively low speeds (25mph or less), especially in first and second gear, the car seems to have a noticable 'lurching' type feeling while moving. It feels like it would if I was lightly tapping on the brakes in my AT Grand Prix, although much less pronounced. I don't think anyone riding in my car has noticed it, maybe it is something you would only notice as the driver since it is fairly subtle (although I have no plans to let anyone else drive my car to find out!). So is this normal? Or if there is something wrong, anyone have any guesses? Maybe I am blowing it out of proportion since it is a brand-new car (and my first one ever, at that) and I just expect everything to be perfect.

I have noticed the EXACT SAME THING. I am not sure it is a problem, but it seems that the car really wants to run above 1500RPM while driving around at low speeds. I think it is because of the tall gears (3.42's) in the rear and we may have the engine under RPM'd at that speed. However, I have noticed this in 1st as well. I do not know if this is a problem or considred normal for this car. The A6 folks probably do not have this issue. I would be curious to know what GM says about this.
daniel@txangl.com is offline   Reply With Quote