Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 09-30-2014, 04:05 AM   #1
CaliDave

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Convertible
Send a message via Yahoo to CaliDave
Dead battery.

I went out of town for 9 days and now my battery dead. I jump started now my top won't go down. Going to dealership in the morning.
CaliDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:47 AM   #2
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
9 days in a '14 and it's dead?!? Please tell us you left a light on.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
CaliDave

I didn't leave the lights on. My tops ok I didn't have the net pull out. Lol. The dealership is looking at it. I'm not the only one this happen to. I've been reading about it. I'll let you know what they say.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
Indydriver

I will be storing mine for winter so I am very interested in how to keep these very expensive batteries alive. I suppose I'll have to dig it out of the trunk and put a trickle charge on it.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
I will be storing mine for winter so I am very interested in how to keep these very expensive batteries alive. I suppose I'll have to dig it out of the trunk and put a trickle charge on it.
No need to remove battery to hook it up to a trickle charger. There are "remote" terminals under the hood for that ...check the owners manual and the forum. ps- IMO go with a CTECK 4.3 amp charger not a Deltran ( they're more for motorcycles and not for the size amps of our battiers as their biggest charger is only 1.5 amps, plus the CTECK has more features.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
JD's 45th
No one likes a copycat

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary SS/RS Vert
I store mine every winter. First year I just made sure to start it every month. Last year I used a trickle charger. It was fine either way.
JD's 45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:43 AM   #7
Indydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
No need to remove battery to hook it up to a trickle charger. There are "remote" terminals under the hood for that ...check the owners manual and the forum. ps- IMO go with a CTECK 4.3 amp charger not a Deltran ( they're more for motorcycles and not for the size amps of our battiers as their biggest charger is only 1.5 amps, plus the CTECK has more features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD's 45th View Post
I store mine every winter. First year I just made sure to start it every month. Last year I used a trickle charger. It was fine either way.
Thanks, guys. I just got mine this spring with the original intention of it being a DD. But my lovely wife volunteered, "you can't drive that car in winter, we should get a used 4WD". So, last week, I found a cherry 2007 Tahoe with only 55,000 miles and now the Camaro will be a garage queen. So, just starting to think about winter storage procedures.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:44 AM   #8
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
Thanks, guys. I just got mine this spring with the original intention of it being a DD. But my lovely wife volunteered, "you can't drive that car in winter, we should get a used 4WD". So, last week, I found a cherry 2007 Tahoe with only 55,000 miles and now the Camaro will be a garage queen. So, just starting to think about winter storage procedures.
Indy, et al, I've attached a GM / Saturn "tip sheet" for the Saturn Sky / Pontiac Solstice convertibles in reference to winter storage preparation.

Perhaps this will help some of you in colder / winter climates better store your Camaro.

If the weather is dry, I'll drive my 'vert around the block or to the store early on Saturday mornings just to get her running a little.

(Sorry. Didn't mean to hijack the thread).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Winterizing your SKY.pdf (93.4 KB, 115 views)
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:19 AM   #9
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDave View Post
I didn't leave the lights on. My tops ok I didn't have the net pull out. Lol. The dealership is looking at it. I'm not the only one this happen to. I've been reading about it. I'll let you know what they say.
Where did you see other info on this happening?

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #10
CaliDave

Ok they (dealership) gave me a new battery. I Googe it. I read about it on modern Camaro Site. Don't worry about high jacking this thread. I'm here to learn about my Camaro.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:12 AM   #11
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDave View Post
Ok they (dealership) gave me a new battery. I Googe it. I read about it on modern Camaro Site. Don't worry about high jacking this thread. I'm here to learn about my Camaro.
What did you see about a possible issue?

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:49 AM   #12
CaliDave

I had a bad battery. I would've never known it I didn't go on vacation for 9 days. The other guy I read about happen in two days. And his dealership told him it was because he left his key in the cup holder. But people do that all the time with no problems.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #13
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
My car has the original battery from July 12,2010 mine is an eleven got the car in July 2010. The car is stored every winter no battery tender. The key is left in the cup holder all winter every year. Tell that dealership he is dumber than a box of rocks Plus a real [DUFFIS]

I live in central N.Y. never start my car all winter. If you do and let it run it warms every thing up. Cools down builds moisture that causes rust.

Far as storing You don't have to support it on jack stands to keep the tires off the floor. Mine sits on the concrete floor & has never flat spotted the tires just put 40 pounds of air in the tires.

Take dryer sheets & lay them on the inside of the trunk, floor of the car, dash & seats, plus at least 4 or 5 sheets under the hood.

In the tail pipes stuff raw steel wool in the ends. This keeps rodents out they will not chew on steel wool. I have been doing this to my vehicles I store and have never had a problem with rodents in over 25 years. Didn't mean to jack the thread I don't have a vert.

Last edited by BLU DUCE; 10-01-2014 at 03:04 PM.
BLU DUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:59 PM   #14
CaliDave

That's some good information for storing a car for the winter.
Here in California we don't have to worry about that problem. .we have drought, fire and earth quake...