Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 08-06-2016, 11:51 AM   #15
Addoni

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantro5 View Post
If you want a cheap canned tune get a Hypertech Max Energy 2.0 or any canned tune, but if you want a good, quality tune go Overkill or a dyno tune. I have a cheap canned tune due to my college student budget and warranties, but when warranties are up and my budget allows I'm going Overkill.
I'm a little confused. Canned tunes are basically generic (not off the dyno for your specific car needs). Is that correct? If so how does this not affect your warranty? (write counter). Excuse my ignorance. I am great with cars but "Tuning is something I haven't done before"

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Addoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #16
wrtowman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
If you want a cheap canned tune get a Hypertech Max Energy 2.0 or any canned tune, but if you want a good, quality tune go Overkill or a dyno tune. I have a cheap canned tune due to my college student budget and warranties, but when warranties are up and my budget allows I'm going Overkill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addoni View Post
If so how does this not affect your warranty?
It does. He may as well go all in.
2011 SGM Camaro 1SS/RS A6 - Vengeance Racing built/tuned. 590RWHP/560RWTQ, ADM LSA Conversion, 2.5 Grip-Tec, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM, FIC1000, VRPD2 Cam and LS3 Conversion with all the internal goodies, American Racing 1 7/8 Headers, no cats, SW Retro Cat Back, ADM Intake, AFCO HX, Varimax Pump, Rotofab Reservoir, B&M Transmission Cooler, VMAX TB, Elite Engineering CC, BMR LCAs, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, DSS 1000hp axles, ZL1 Bumper and Sideskirts, Night Owl Halos, Matte Black 20" Rohana RC-22 with 20x10-275s/20x11-315s, R1 Concept Premier Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.
wrtowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:03 PM   #17
derek1387

Drives: 2015 1LS Red V6
Don't do the hypertech. It won't do a darn thing. Maybe raise your speed limiter. But that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

5th Gen V6 Performance Facebook Group
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:24 PM   #18
bleavens1962

Drives: 2014 1LS Camaro
GM is becoming difficult with warranties...If you get a tune , there is a possibility that if you have an issue in the future they may try to link it to the tune. If you aren't sure if you should get a tune and possibly void your warranty, you have answered your own question.
bleavens1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:29 PM   #19
Addoni

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleavens1962 View Post
GM is becoming difficult with warranties...If you get a tune , there is a possibility that if you have an issue in the future they may try to link it to the tune. If you aren't sure if you should get a tune and possibly void your warranty, you have answered your own question.
Good call. Thanks

Addoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:29 PM   #20
Chantro5

Drives: 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
Glad to see you got an answer and pretty much what all of those guys said. As for me I got Hypertech because it was a little cheaper and derek im gonna have to disagree man, its did given mine a little more pop not saying huge but its gotten a little pop none the less. Maybe I'm just a rare event in a bazillion
Old 08-06-2016, 05:31 PM   #21
Chantro5

Drives: 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addoni View Post
Good call. Thanks

I'm still pretty new to man. If you follow guys like GretchenGrow(spell check), derek (the guy who replied), and some of the older guys on here and actually be open to knowing more than you actually do and learning more then you should be good man. Good luck on your Camaro Journey brother.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:49 PM   #22
derek1387

The thing with the warranty is 100% true. Some dealers are a pain in the ass.

Others...not so much.

Be good to your service writer...and they will go to bat for you. My dealer basically said as long as GM doesn't have to get involved...

So be good to them. Get your service work done there, spend some money. If they ask a question about if something is done or not done, don't lie to them. Being upfront will go a long way.

If it tells you anything, my dealer is helping me with rack time for my supercharger build. But I've bough 7 cars there and spent a lot of money with them.

JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

Old 08-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #23
derek1387

Quote:
I'm still pretty new to man. If you follow guys like GretchenGrow(spell check), derek (the guy who replied), and some of the older guys on here and actually be open to knowing more than you actually do and learning more then you should be good man. Good luck on your Camaro Journey brother.

And Gretchen, MagnumForceGB, Sanjay, Shawno72, and OKCJantzen are great guys for questions and accurate answers. And many more! You will quickly see those who aren't full of it and those who are.

Welcome to the forums!

JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Old 08-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #24
tlavoie87
Built Not Bought

Drives: 2010 Twin Turbo LFX
Trifecta was garbage I had it for a while and it's a joke the claim they they look at your log files and modify according to that but everytime I would do a mod they would send back that everything looked good .. and then they tuner lock the ECM so if you go to any other company u have to have your ecm reset at the dealer .. I would say away if I was you

"Built Not Bought!'

Sponsors:
OverKill Motorsports
tlavoie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #25
killercamaro23

Drives: 2012 camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavoie87 View Post
Trifecta was garbage I had it for a while and it's a joke the claim they they look at your log files and modify according to that but everytime I would do a mod they would send back that everything looked good .. and then they tuner lock the ECM so if you go to any other company u have to have your ecm reset at the dealer .. I would say away if I was you
You need retune the ecm to "stock" for other tuners to work on it. you can do that with the stuff trifecta gave you. its locked for safety purposes

250lb weight reduction !!!
killercamaro23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:15 PM   #26
Chiruns_v6

Drives: Chevy camaro
Hello I'm interested in buying the overkill tune but my question for those that have it will you feel a difference in throttle speed or do you still need a throttle controller and will it remove the speed restriction of 118mph?
And last do any of you guys get pops downshifting with the overkill tune.
Chiruns_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:43 PM   #27
chrish70

Drives: 2015 ls3 camaro ss
you can also try dynosteve from rdp he does a heap on tuning i know on the v8's not sure about the v6 but worth sending him a pm
chrish70 is offline   Reply With Quote