Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
About: Carnauba Car Waxes

Carnauba Wax has long been the choice to enthusiasts and professionals who desire reflections that appear to dance under the paint with incredible depth. Carnauba wax is one of the hardest natural occurring waxes in nature. The result is serious protection for your ride. Carnauba wax is not quite as easy to apply as modern synthetic paint sealants, nor does it last quite as long. But when you desire the ultimate in depth of shine and a wet paint finish, there is no other choice.

Carnauba wax grows on the fawns of the Copernicia prunifera, or carnauba palm. The Copernicia prunifera is a tree that is native to northeastern Brazil. Carnauba is excreted by the tree to protect its delicate fawns from rain and sunlight. Carnauba wax, in its natural form, ranges from a dark brown to pale yellow dependent on age and purity. Premium grade carnauba, known as #1 Yellow, is used for car waxes because it offers the highest levels of gloss with minimal clouding of reflections.

When carnauba wax is exposed to water it swells. This seals the surface it is applied to and creates an extreme beading effect that causes water form into tiny droplets and run from the surface. Carnauba wax is also highly resistant to UV rays from the sun. The hard, shell-like finish created by carnauba wax resists damage from bug remains, bird bombs, and environmental fall out. In fact carnauba wax is so hard that in its natural state it is comparable to concrete!

Car waxes that feature carnauba wax are not the same! Carnauba wax is so hard that it must be blended with other ingredients in order to make it applicable to paint. These ingredients car vary wildly, from other waxes, to combinations of solvents, oils, and sometimes extremely rare and expensive extracts. Some waxes are blended with the same high-quality polymer ingredients found in synthetic paint sealants. Premium grade carnauba waxes, which differ from less expensive, store-priced carnauba waxes, usually feature highest quality ingredients. These ingredients can be difficult to work with and expensive. This requires that the waxes are hand poured to exact measurements, and hand cooked in very specific processes.

Even carnauba wax itself isn't the same. After the wax is beaten off the fawns of the Copernicia prunifera it is graded on age and color. Most car waxes use Brazilian #1 grade yellow, this is the purest natural form. However the wax can be purified and refined by several methods, including filtration, centrifugation, and bleaching. The purification process can be very lengthy. The highest grades of purified carnauba wax are almost pure white in color and often called “Ivory Carnauba Wax.” When this ultra-pure carnauba is blended in the methods suggested in the preceding paragraph the result is a premium car wax that can take several days to make, but rewards its user the ultimate in depth of shine and shimmering gloss.

When it comes to selecting a carnauba wax there is no wrong or right answer. Each wax will exhibit different characteristics depending on the purity of the wax, the ingredients blended into it, and the precision required to cook it. Carnauba waxes will tend to create reflections that appear deeper into the paint, known as depth. They will impart wet-look shine, known as 'jetting' that makes reflections shimmer across the surface. Premium grade carnauba waxes take the look, feel, and experience to high level. If you desire the deepest, wettest, most three dimensional shine from your paint, look no further than Autopia-CarCare's amazing selection of carnauba based waxes and premium grade carnauba waxes. Autopia-CarCare.com Carnauba Wax Selection

Premium Grade Carnauba Wax Spot Light

It has long been asked, what is the best wax? Ultimately the answer depends on what you are looking for, how often you are willing to apply it, and how your eye perceives the unique characteristics of each wax. Autopia Car Care carries a huge selection of premium carnauba waxes, here is a spot light on just a few products from the many we carry.

BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste- BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste is a hand poured premium carnauba wax that combines a mile deep shimmering gloss with high tech Wet Diamond polymers. The result is a deep, wet looking carnauba paste that applies and removes easily, provides excellent protection, and mouth watering looks. BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun is excellent as a stand alone wax or as a topper to any BLACKFIRE paint sealant. It looks great on all colors, making even silver shimmer with depth.

Chemical Guys E-zyem Natura- E-zyme Natura Nature’s Finest Paste Wax is natural, and the finest natural wax available. Developed from the most refined natural tropical oil extracts and utilizing the hardest and most durable protective agents nature can produce combined with natural enzymes to deliver a natural paste wax unlike anything you have ever seen or smelled before 100% naturally. E-zyme creates a highly-reflective shimmer that is suited to all paint colors.

Dodo Juice Supernatural- Dodo Juice Supernatural Wax is Dodo’s purest, most refined carnauba car wax. The wax is free of artificial colors or fragrances in order to achieve the purest, most effective car wax. With Supernatural, you get all the shine and depth of a premium carnauba car wax and nothing extra. Supernatural wax comes in a hardwood refillable container handmade in the U.K. Supernatural is know for having a unique look that is best described as an ultra clear layer of clear coat over the paint that creates reflections that look a mile deep. It looks great on all colors but stands out on warm and vibrant colors.

Migliore Primo- Migliore Primo is a premium wax blend. Migliore Primo is a" best of the best" concours style wax. Primo is truly the top of the line and will compete with the highest quality waxes in the business. Primo contains nearly 50% carnauba per jar. This wax is for those who genuinely cherish their vehicle's finish, demanding a finish that you can almost swim in. Primo creates a very wet finish that looks great on bright colors such as blues, oranges, and greens.

Pinnacle Souverän- Souverän sets the standard in surface enhancement. It is bursting with a special blend of Brazilian Ivory Carnauba and natural oils. These oils wet the paint, producing tremendous depth and richness. Souverän was originally designed to do battle with far more expensive waxes, and it succeeded. In fact, several of Ralph Lauren's cars were treated to Souverän before winning the prestigious Pebble Beach Concours de' Elegance. If you want the ultimate in a deep, color saturated, wet shine for your red, dark blue, or black ride Pinnacle Souverän remains a top choice.

Pinnacle Signature Series- Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax creates a warm, wet-looking shine with nature’s finest wax and fruit oils. The results are sizzling shine, depth, and reflection that enhance any type and color of paint. Signature Series II is the most impressive wax in its class. In fact, many higher priced waxes can’t compare to the shine of Signature Series II. Signature Series II is suited to all paint colors.

P21s Carnauba Wax- P21S Carnauba Wax is the perfect choice if you have a black, red, dark blue or rich yellow car. Although it works great on all colors, the deeper colors are the hardest when it comes to getting that flawless finish. P21S Carnauba Car Wax is a hand-poured blend of German waxes, proprietary ingredients and pure Brazilian Carnauba wax. The result is a wax that goes on and comes off with incredible ease. There's virtually no residue and it won't stain rubber, plastic or vinyl trim moldings.

Wolfgang Füzion Estate Wax- Füzion is fusion of a ultra-pure hand crafted Brazilian "Ivory" Carnabua wax and high-bonding German crystalline polymers. The result is when Wolfgang Füzion Estate Wax is applied to your vehicle, the carnauba fuses with the polymers in a cross-linked matrix of protective molecules. This woven polymer shield is your vehicle's best defense against moisture, airborne pollutants, bird droppings, insects, and UV radiation. The super polymers reinforce carnauba's natural defense and promote maximum bonding to the paint. Wolfgang Füzion Estate Wax looks breathtaking on any color. Reds and blacks shimmer with depth. White, pearls, and silvers drip with shine. Colors appear deeper and more saturated. The vehicle will appear dipped in gloss with light bouncing off every curve.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Did I see this right?

Chemical Guys Project J97 Paste Wax
$999.99???
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Yep. You can get a deal of $850 at CG's website. LOL Let's just say that the wax hasn't went over well like they wanted it to.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
HDRDTD

For that price that should include an expert from their factory flying out and applying it for you at the very least.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
^^^ I immediately thought of the following when I saw the price:

Old 05-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I'll play devil's advocate.

I always say no to Carnauba and it will never go on my vehicles. The most prominent oil used to cut the raw Carnauba is silicone. You might as well just use Lemon Fresh Pledge. Carnauba clogs up the clear coats natural ability to breathe because of the high amounts of oils that are cut into it. Carnauba wax itself does not give the high shine; it’s the other things that are cut into it (oils) that gives Carnauba its shine. The sun and Carnauba do not play together well. The sunnier and hotter it gets the faster Carnauba deteriorates/melts. When that starts to happen the added oils migrate to the surface and start to evaporate.

FACT: On a sunny 80°F day the surface temp of a black car can easily reach 150°F. For each 10°F rise in ambient temp a black cars surface temps can easily rise another 25°F.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
techinny

Drives: '18 Sierra Denali '05 GMC 2500HD
Hmmmmmm.

Had: 2010 SS/RS M6 Hurst STS, Noweeds
techinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post

I always say no to Carnauba and it will never go on my vehicles. The most prominent oil used to cut the raw Carnauba is silicone. You might as well just use Lemon Fresh Pledge. Carnauba clogs up the clear coats natural ability to breathe because of the high amounts of oils that are cut into it. Carnauba wax itself does not give the high shine; it’s the other things that are cut into it (oils) that gives Carnauba its shine. The sun and Carnauba do not play together well. The sunnier and hotter it gets the faster Carnauba deteriorates/melts. When that starts to happen the added oils migrate to the surface and start to evaporate.

FACT: On a sunny 80°F day the surface temp of a black car can easily reach 150°F. For each 10°F rise in ambient temp a black cars surface temps can easily rise another 25°F.
So what would you reccomend??
Old 05-09-2012, 05:13 AM   #9
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post

I love Devil's advocate and can appreciate where you are coming from....

Quote:
The most prominent oil used to cut the raw Carnauba is silicone.
I'm not sure were you are sourcing this information from. It is true that the some lesser quality products use silicone (are you referring to silicone or silicon?) as a gloss enhancing product. However this is true of most synthetic paint sealants as well.

Highly refined silicon is used far more than silicone (which is often used as lubricant to allow the solid content of either a wax or a sealant to be delivered to the paint).

I am not sure of any premium grade waxes that use silicone and while some my use silicon, it is added to increase the performance of the wax. I have had the pleasure of working with multiple chemists who formulate carnauba car waxes and have never heard of silicone being used as a primary gloss enhancing agent in any premium grade product.

Quote:
Carnauba clogs up the clear coats natural ability to breathe because of the high amounts of oils that are cut into it.
This is not true nor is does clear coat need to breathe at all (except when it is fresh and full of solvents that need to out gas. Even that subject is debatable.)

When we talk about maximum characteristics of shine we ultimately come down to surface coverage. (This is also true when we talk about layering products). The more the product covers the substrate (at the microscopic level) the better the protection, longer the durability, and ultimately the more potential for altering the characteristics of the reflection. It is a good thing to have more surface coverage.

Modern paint is very close to cross-linked plastic, it does not need to breath at all and the more it is exposed to oxygen the faster the rate of oxidation.

Quote:
Carnauba wax itself does not give the high shine; it’s the other things that are cut into it (oils) that gives Carnauba its shine.
At some level this is true. Pure and refined carnauba does have gloss to it, but it is not overly shiny in and of itself. It is the synergistic effect of the wax, combined with other waxes, polymers, oils, and extracts that ultimately give carnauba car wax its often revered levels of shine, depth, and jetting ability.

There is a wide variety of products used to 'cut' carnauba, and the quality and cost of these products vary wildly, as does the difficulty in creating the wax. This is why many premium carnauba based car waxes are more expensive, the labor and material cost in creating the wax is substantially higher.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #10
pastohio

Drives: Indy Pace Car
I used to hear that some carnuba waxes were actually cut with kerosene, kerosene gives a wet look...who wants kerosene on their paint at a car show or whatever when it is 85 degrees out in the sun !!
pastohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastohio View Post
I used to hear that some carnuba waxes were actually cut with kerosene, kerosene gives a wet look...who wants kerosene on their paint at a car show or whatever when it is 85 degrees out in the sun !!
Thank goodness for technology.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #12
KBsSS

Drives: 2013 Corvette 2LT

I have used Fuzion and now I am trying Pete`s 53 on my summit white.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #13
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBsSS View Post

I have used Fuzion and now I am trying Pete`s 53 on my summit white.
What did you think of Fuzion?
Old 12-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #14
KBsSS

Drives: 2013 Corvette 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
What did you think of Fuzion?
Loved it on my Red Pearl R/T. Now I have a Summit White Camaro so I thought I would try Petes 53.

Always ready try something different.