Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 02-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Radiator flush... quick question,

How the hell do you release the petcock so that the coolant starts to drain out? I located it at the driver side of the radiator and when I turn it (it's really difficult to turn), it doesn't do anything. How do you get the fluid to start draining?

And I take it the reservoir tank also needs to pumped out too, right?

Also, how much coolant do I need to put in? I'm getting Prestone w/ DEX-COOL. How much of that would I need and how much distilled water would I need? I keep hearing 2 gallons - 1 gallon of each, or two gallons of each? The coolant capacity for the car is 11.8 quarts, which is a little over 3 gallons... so I need some help here.

Last edited by nUcLeArEnVoY; 02-07-2014 at 07:02 PM.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
Spektrum

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
You need to remove the radiator cap to allow the coolant to drain out of the petcock. You will need to drain and refill the overflow tank as well, without some sort of suction device, it's easiest to remove the tank and pour it out. Refill it once it's reinstalled.

You should do a 50/50 mix of water to antifreeze. Once you've refilled the radiator, leave the cap off and run the engine. This step will bleed air out of the system. Once the thermostat opens up you will see the level drop and will need to add more. You can add while the engine is running and you may find a little will bubble out, while more air bleeds. Ideally you would run the engine until the radiator fan comes on so you know everything is working properly, but if it's cold outside that might take forever.

This procedure is a drain and refill, so keep it mind some old coolant is left behind in the engine block, heater hoses and heater core which will circulate into the new coolant. Some people choose to do another drain and refill because of this.

A radiator flush uses a machine connecting to the radiator hose(s) to transfuse the old coolant out and new coolant in, eliminating a lot of steps, used at repair shops.

Note: If the expansion tank is the HIGHEST point in the cooling system, then air will be bled from there, not the radiator.

I hope this helps.
Spektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
Spektrum

P.S.> Make sure the A/C is turned off (so the condenser fan won't run) and the heater is set in the car to full heat, with the blower fan on.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektrum View Post
You need to remove the radiator cap to allow the coolant to drain out of the petcock. You will need to drain and refill the overflow tank as well, without some sort of suction device, it's easiest to remove the tank and pour it out. Refill it once it's reinstalled.

You should do a 50/50 mix of water to antifreeze. Once you've refilled the radiator, leave the cap off and run the engine. This step will bleed air out of the system. Once the thermostat opens up you will see the level drop and will need to add more. You can add while the engine is running and you may find a little will bubble out, while more air bleeds. Ideally you would run the engine until the radiator fan comes on so you know everything is working properly, but if it's cold outside that might take forever.

This procedure is a drain and refill, so keep it mind some old coolant is left behind in the engine block, heater hoses and heater core which will circulate into the new coolant. Some people choose to do another drain and refill because of this.

A radiator flush uses a machine connecting to the radiator hose(s) to transfuse the old coolant out and new coolant in, eliminating a lot of steps, used at repair shops.

Note: If the expansion tank is the HIGHEST point in the cooling system, then air will be bled from there, not the radiator.

I hope this helps.
It helps a lot, thank you so much.

The radiator cap was off, but nothing is coming out of from the drain area. Is there a certain way you turn the petcock to get it flow out, or do you pull it up? I'm really not getting it.

Also, the 50/50 water/coolant combo... how much? Do I pour in a gallon of coolant concentrate, then a gallon of water or...?
Old 02-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Also, how do you remove the reservoir tank if that's the easier way to do it?
Old 02-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #6
Spektrum

I haven't looked at the setup of the petcock on my Camaro yet. I will have to do that tomorrow when it's light outside to answer your question. Same goes for the reservoir, I will look under the hood tomorrow.

For a 50/50 mix you should get an empty gallon container (like an empty washer fluid jug), pour in half the coolant, fill the water in the two jugs and shake them up. You may not get a proper mixture the other way.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #7
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektrum View Post
I haven't looked at the setup of the petcock on my Camaro yet. I will have to do that tomorrow when it's light outside to answer your question. Same goes for the reservoir, I will look under the hood tomorrow.

For a 50/50 mix you should get an empty gallon container (like an empty washer fluid jug), pour in half the coolant, fill the water in the two jugs and shake them up. You may not get a proper mixture the other way.
I think I'll just get two gallons of the pre-mixed. Prestone w/ Dexcool is on special @ walmart with the premix.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
WarWolfX0

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE Manual
I think you have to turn it 2times around, the first time it only dribbles out then the 2nd time it starts to flow. Still it takes a few mins to drane out. I had to use pliers to turn it. i though i was going to brake it.
WarWolfX0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #9
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Any one on here ever use Evans waterless coolant.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:27 PM   #10
HeritageLS

Drives: 2012 1LS Camaro (Victory Red)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
Any one on here ever use Evans waterless coolant.

I will be doing this shortly. Hoping for the best. Want to do it today or tomorrow
HeritageLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #11
killercamaro23

Drives: 2012 camaro 2LS
so what are the answers to the petcock? how does coolant flow ?
killercamaro23 is offline   Reply With Quote