Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-14-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
bumblebeeguy

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT
2010 Camaro Air Compressor Failure

Hello all,

A couple of months ago the A/C on my 2010 Camaro 2LT failed. It had approximatley 60,000 miles when it failed but I didn't have a chance to take it in for service sooner since it was winter and we were in the process of buying a home. It now has about 68,000 miles.

I took it in to a small mom/pop shop in San Diego and the owner told me the whole AC compressor and evaporator appears to have failed. He mentioned it was weird since the car only has 68,000 miles and he expected the issue to be a small leak or wiring issue. He estimated the full replacement cost to be approximately $2,500 dollars!! I though it was gonna be an easy fix, maybe it just needed coolant or something.

Now I don't have that much cash laying around to pay that kind of money. I did some research online and found this:

http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/ge...or-recall.html

It is a TSB for some camaros regarding AC compressor failures. The thing is, I NEVER get any of these TSB/recalls even though I bought the car brand new from a dealer here in Carlsbad, CA.

My question is this, will this TSB cover my 2010 camaro?
My VIN ends with A9142565

Thanks for all the help you guys can provide in advance, peace!!
bumblebeeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
serows1

Drives: Blue Ray 2SS
Hey Bumblebeeguy, I checked and you do not have any recalls on your vehicle. The bulletin only applies to the 2011 Camaro and does not require any parts replacement, see below....

#11160B: Customer Satisfaction - Loss of Air Conditioning - Reprogram Body Control Module - (May 22, 2013)
Subject: 11160B – Loss of Air Conditioning – Reprogram Body Control Module Models: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro The expiration date of this program has been extended to September 30, 2013. Please discard all copies of bulletin 11160A.
THIS PROGRAM IS IN EFFECT UNTIL SEPTEMBER 30, 2013.
Condition Certain 2011 model year Chevrolet Camaro vehicles may have a condition in which the air conditioning compressor may not turn on or turn off. This could cause the compressor to fail, resulting in a loss of air conditioning.
Correction Dealers are to reprogram the body control module.
Vehicles Involved Involved are certain 2011 model year Chevrolet Camaro vehicles.
Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Required Field Actions section in the Global Warranty Management system. Not all vehicles may be involved.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.
The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this program is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this program.
Parts Information No parts are required for this program.
Service Procedure Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GM Customer Care and Aftersales. The calibration numbers required for this service procedure are programmed into control modules via a Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) with the calibration update. When using a MDI for reprogramming, ensure that is updated with the latest software version. Use TIS2WEB on or after 05/16/11 to obtain the calibration. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center and it will be provided.
For step-by-step programming instructions, please refer to SI and the Techline Information System (TIS) terminal.
  1. Verify that there is a battery charge of 12 to 15 volts. The battery must be able to maintain a charge during programming. Only use an approved Midtronics® PSC 550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent to maintain proper battery voltage during programming.
  2. Reprogram the body control module (BCM). Refer to SI and Service Programming System (SPS) documentation for programming instructions, if required.
    1. Connect the MDI to the vehicle.
    2. Select J2534 MDI and Reprogram ECU from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Programming Process screen.
    3. Select BCM Body Control Module -- Programming from the Supported Controllers screen.
    4. Follow the on-screen instructions.
  3. On the SPS Supported Controllers screen, select BCM Body Control Module – Setup and follow the on-screen instructions.
  4. Remove the MDI and turn the ignition off.
  5. Open and close the driver's door.
  6. Wait 2 minutes. This will clear the Stabilitrak message if present.
  7. Clear all diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs).
  8. If the vehicle is equipped with a sunroof, close the sunroof completely and re-open the sunroof to the full-open position.
  9. Check the driver information center display for additional messages regarding further calibration instructions. If there are no additional driver information center instructions present, programming is complete.
Courtesy Transportation – For US and Canada The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.
Warranty Transaction Information Submit a transaction using the table below.
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
V2434
Reprogram BCM
Customer Notification – For US and Canada General Motors will notify customers of this program on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter included with this bulletin).
Customer Notification – For Export Letters will be sent to known owners of record located within areas covered by the US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. For owners outside these areas, dealers should notify customers using the attached sample letter.
Dealer Program Responsibility All unsold new vehicles in dealers' possession and subject to this program must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this program bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles.
Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this program at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, through September 30, 2013.
Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the involved vehicle listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. A copy of the customer letter is provided in this bulletin for your use in contacting customers. Program follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.
In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this program enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your facility for service through September 30, 2013, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the program correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.

The bulletin you are referring to is only for 2011 Camaro's due to a body control module programming failure, it does not require any part replacement.

If you've got a local guy telling your to replace the compressor and evaporator I would run, run far and fast cause it sounds like they are guessing. I work at a Chevrolet dealership and have NEVER replaced either on a Camaro, not that one could go bad but it's highly unlikely. I would get a second opinion.

And, just so you know, service bulletins are just repair procedures to help technicians with their diagnosis, they are not recalls. Typically recalls and customer satisfaction updates are sent in the mail to owners multiple times, they'll find you eventually.

Good Luck,
Paul
serows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
You have no open recalls on your car. If it will be covered its up to the dealer but with that many miles without previous problems I don't think it will fly, but it never hurts to ask. And if it had a TSB it still doesn't mean they will cover it, that's just something to help the Tech find sometime common or hard to find problems.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, compressor, fail, failure, tsb