Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 05-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
SnoopyAce7
(ʘ‿ʘ)

Drives: The one with a roof rack
DIY: Painting Calipers

What I used:

Duplicolor caliper hand paint kit....$17 @ Pep Boys
Painter's tape....$~2 @ Home Depot
Newspaper....$0.75
Keyboard duster....$5 @ Staples
Small steel brush....$3 @ Home Depot (paint/sandpaper section)
200 Grit sandpaper....$4 @ Home Depot
Shop Towels....$~7 @ Wal-Mart
Acryllic paint brushes
Floor Jack
Jack Stands
Endless playlist of music

Put chocks on the wheels (I used bricks) on the ones that will be grounded. Loosen the lugnuts on your first wheel to be lifted. Use the floor jack to lift it so that the jack stand can be put into position. SLOWLY, lower the car onto the jack stand, making sure that the jack stand is seated properly on the ground at the designated jack stand point.

Name:  DSC01630.jpg
Views: 15033
Size:  132.7 KB

Remove the lugs and wheel. Do the same for the other wheel on the same end (front/rear depending on which you decide to do first). After I lifted the front end on to the jack stands I put my ramps underneath my car just as a safety net for the stands since this was my first time using stands (I was nervous lol).

Name:  DSC01629.jpg
Views: 7614
Size:  185.0 KB

The duplicolor kit comes with paint, brake cleaner, a brush, stirring stick, and masking tape. I used painters tape and newspaper to mask the caliper and not the included tape. Be sure to cover the rotor well so that paint does not drip onto it. I also made sure to cover the rubber housing that covered the brake lines as not to interfere with the brake's function.

Name:  DSC01627.jpg
Views: 11912
Size:  144.5 KB

I sprayed the caliper with the cleaner from the kit. It's an aerosol liquid spray that dries instantly so that you can brush off all of the dirt and dust easily. I used the steel wire brush to do a deep cleansing of the caliper. I also sanded the calipers down with the 200 grit sand paper to smooth the surface. Then I sprayed the cleaner again after doing that and used shop towels to wipe it clean. Last, you should use a keyboard CO2 dusting spray to get any remaining dirt and dust off. THE MORE YOU PREP (as in masking, cleaning, and sanding) THE BETTER and MORE PROFESSIONAL IT WILL LOOK! The prep time will be well worth it if you put most of your effort at this stage.

Name:  DSC01631.jpg
Views: 7012
Size:  244.8 KB

Name:  DSC01632.jpg
Views: 7003
Size:  145.8 KB

Name:  DSC01634.jpg
Views: 6967
Size:  100.6 KB

The First Coat!
This coat is just to cover the existing bare metal. It doesn't have to look pretty, just be sure to cover the spots you want colored on the caliper! I noticed how big a caliper REALLY is at this stage...can't even imagine the size of the Brembos! Shake the paint can for 15-30 sec. Open and stir the paint with the stick for 1 min. I used the included brush for the majority of the project, then upgraded to my acryllic paint brushes from my own brush kit. WOW, what a difference. The bristles in the included brush started falling out and got stuck in the paint halfway through my 3rd caliper, annoying as hell. I HIGHLY SUGGEST getting a decent kit of acryllic paint brushes from a craft store and using these the WHOLE TIME, since they have different sizes, good for working on the different areas of the caliper.

Name:  DSC01649.jpg
Views: 7168
Size:  188.5 KB

Since the caliper is only visible from the side, I did not paint the entire back of it, just the front, sides, and right around the back so it looks complete. It gets hard to reach back there and I didn't want to paint anything that shouldn't be painted. Just be sure to go over the spots you want to be colored once and you'll be set.

Name:  DSC01635.jpg
Views: 7165
Size:  144.7 KB

Name:  DSC01639.jpg
Views: 7125
Size:  128.2 KB

While your first coat is drying, go on to the next caliper. Clean it and then do its first coat. I did not clean them both at the same time because while painting the first one, some dirt and dust might get on the second one since I was working outside.

Second Coat Time..
The paint dried pretty fast 5-10 mins for me. But don't assume that this is the standard drying time for everyone's. You may put a thicker coat than I did, or the temperature may have affected my time. So check if its dry by TOUCHING THE BACKSIDE OF THE CALIPER, so that your fingerprints won't ruin the coat. Because then you'll have to sand it down and start again. Touch the back and slowly slide your finger to the front of the caliper making sure its dried all the way around. IF it is, then do a second coat. This coat is more particular in covering the caliper evenly to give that equally colored finish. By doing a thick second...and third...maybe even fourth coat you'll hide the rough surface of the caliper more and more and it will give it a quality, gloss finish.

After second coat:
Name:  DSC01643.jpg
Views: 6962
Size:  137.3 KB

Third+ Coats...
These coats are to really bring out the color of the paint and hide the roughness of the caliper. I HIGHLY suggest 3 coats. It looked great after 2 coats, but I did 3 just for lifespan's sake and it really smoothed out the paint. If you have the time for 4 or more, then go for it. I had OVER HALF THE CAN OF PAINT LEFT, so I probably should have done 4 oh well .

After third coat:
Name:  DSC01644.jpg
Views: 7144
Size:  120.0 KB

Left over paint:
Name:  DSC01663.jpg
Views: 7006
Size:  107.6 KB

Front calipers finished:
Name:  DSC01655.jpg
Views: 6954
Size:  264.9 KB

Doing the rears:
Name:  DSC01656.jpg
Views: 6885
Size:  152.6 KB

After finishing the first 2 calipers, make sure they're completely dry. Put the wheels back on, lower the car, re-tighten lugs, and repeat the process for the remaining wheels .

A project small enough to do in a townhouse driveway
Name:  DSC01657.jpg
Views: 6872
Size:  317.4 KB

Good luck on all your summer mods C5er's!
Old 05-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Ok these calipers did not have any paint on them till the op painted them. Mine are already painted gray from the factory. So my question did some come painted and some not?
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
Ok these calipers did not have any paint on them till the op painted them. Mine are already painted gray from the factory. So my question did some come painted and some not?
Are you 100% sure they are painted? They shouldn't be.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
spyderbuddy

They look painted to me the backs look gray and the fronts silver
Attached Images

PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Yours aren't painted either, that is the color that all stock calipers have, my 03' Nissan 350Z has the same thing (not the sport package so no brembo's). The brembos are painted from the factory.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
spyderbuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
Yours aren't painted either, that is the color that all stock calipers have, my 03' Nissan 350Z has the same thing (not the sport package so no brembo's). The brembos are painted from the factory.
I'm Telling you that they are painted why are you tellin me they aren't do I have to take the tire off to show you

They are gray they have paint on them I know this because I can see the paint.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
I'm Telling you that they are painted why are you tellin me they aren't do I have to take the tire off to show you

They are gray they have paint on them I know this because I can see the paint.
Looks like bare aluminum to me.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
spyderbuddy

Even if it's just a clear on the fronts they are painted
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
spyderbuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Looks like bare aluminum to me.

I might go there now
Old 05-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
spyderbuddy

Oh and btw to the OP Sorry for the high jack.
Your caliper's look great.
So where are the rest of the pic's.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
SnoopyAce7
(ʘ‿ʘ)

Quote:
Oh and btw to the OP Sorry for the high jack.
Your caliper's look great.
So where are the rest of the pic's.
lol its all gravy. To me, my calipers looked like bare aluminum, but in some of your pics it looks like the aluminum is coming off like a paint would

Name:  DSC01729.jpg
Views: 6797
Size:  220.1 KB

Name:  DSC01731.jpg
Views: 6683
Size:  242.1 KB
Old 05-30-2011, 07:02 PM   #12
SnoopyAce7
(ʘ‿ʘ)

Name:  DSC01730.jpg
Views: 9917
Size:  197.9 KB

Upskirt
Name:  DSC01733.jpg
Views: 6912
Size:  139.5 KB
Old 05-30-2011, 07:11 PM   #13
SlowSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Looks great!!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:27 PM   #14
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Quote:
Even if it's just a clear on the fronts they are painted
Brother, they are not painted believe me lol. They are just different metals. I think ones Aluminum and other steel or something.

Check out my video brother. There are closeups. They aren't painted =p

http://u.bb/423541/painting-calipers