Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-21-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
Toning down LOUD cammed car.

Okay cruising around isnt an issue but starting the car is like blowing a bomb up in my garage. LOL

Im about to get this nightfury cammed car it has SW LT, cats Xpipe and borla atak mufflers is there any ways I could make it neighborhood friendly? I love the loping but its really loud it shakes the garage and I have a baby at home and I come home at around 2 in the morning.

I saw a similar thread but the OP didnt seem to post what he end up doing...

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:11 PM   #2
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Hey Dyk-NO,

Depending on what connection you have at the x-pipe, you could try a Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe part # 11386 that would definitely help with the volume.

Kind regards,

-Adrian
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
I'm still confused... I dont see a problem listed in this thread. You want a quiet/tamed car, I hear a Prius is pretty quiet
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:25 PM   #4
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I am currently going through a similar dillema (no baby, but I don't want mad neighbors - we have a neighborhood watch facebook group that I know I would end up on ).

I would love to drive my car in the morning to the gym or work, but it is LOUD with a big cam, high CR, 3" exhaust, no cats, and spintech mufflers...BUT I'm almost to the point where I don't care, soooo might just say "f**k the neighbors, I'm driving my race car" here pretty soon!

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #5
Dyk-NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkentect View Post
I'm still confused... I dont see a problem listed in this thread. You want a quiet/tamed car, I hear a Prius is pretty quiet
You wouldnt understand and those youtube videos of cammed cars is really an understatement to what Im having this issue with. it literally shakes the walls of my garage and my neighbors window lol

Oh yeah I forgot this car's exhaust setup doesnt have resonators so I guess I need resonators?

Oh don't get me wrong that sound from idling and cruising and when I put my foot down is awesome but from a cold start and 5 mins after that its just MONSTROUS NOISE lol

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #6
Dyk-NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Sales View Post
Hey Dyk-NO,

Depending on what connection you have at the x-pipe, you could try a Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe part # 11386 that would definitely help with the volume.

Kind regards,

-Adrian
what do you mean depending on what connection? well the x pipe is mounted after the cats mid way to the mufflers... I dont know if that helps and also PM price

Old 08-21-2015, 02:04 PM   #7
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
You can also source a dual mode "npp" exhaust or just mufflers with the npp controller keep them closed until you get out of the neighborhood
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:56 PM   #8
black.

Drives: IBM 2SS
I think the night fury is un-tameable (if that's a word). The cam is just a monster, its like your trying to hold a grown rottweiler inside a pillow case. Have you thought about another cam?
black. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:04 PM   #9
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
People should think before making these choices. I had a cammed GTO with 3" SW exhaust, no cats and their turbo mufflers. It was noisy...but it was known before I decided to do what I did. Lucky for me all my neighbors are car buffs. But trying to tame a big cam car with headers just ain't gonna happen. Even stock exhaust is gonna be loud. Good luck.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:59 PM   #10
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
The NPP dual mode exhaust does tame it down but you have to have the Forza three way controller to keep it closed and you would have to retro fit it to the car, maybe just some other brand of mufflers would work to keep you toned down with out being too restrictive.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:18 PM   #11
bayarea408

Drives: T
like others have said NPP retro fit it. Or look for a muffler thats designed for the 5th gen that will tone it down a notch.
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #12
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
What the logic behind doing full exhaust and a cam and then complaining it's too loud? What did you expect? The baby is understandable but you should have considered that before hand. As far as neighbors my cammed 4th gen was loud as hell and I used to start that bitch up at 7am every morning. Never had any complaints and wouldn't have changed anything even if I did have complaints. If you don't have cats definitely get cats. You could put a stock non-NPP exhaust on. That would quiet it down for sure but with all the added air flow of the cam, a super restrictive exhaust is not a good idea. Best bet is an NPP with a mild to wild like others have suggested. That combined with adding cats should quiet it down enough. If you still think it's too loud after that then you bought the wrong car.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:01 PM   #13
mikec1le

Drives: 2014 White 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Sales View Post
Hey Dyk-NO,

Kind regards,

-Adrian
The Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe works well.
- SW Chambered Retro Catback
- Magnaflow resonated X pipe
- GPI SS2 Cam and tune
mikec1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #14
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
I have cam/lt's/stock midpipe and the Magnaflow street series axle back and its very reasonable to work with. I leave for work at 3:45am and while I dont drive my car daily, it has never woken my wife or daughter up when I leave. All they can hear is a very deep bass sound whenever I pull into the garage. I wish it idled a little cleaner, but I love the cruise and WOT sounds. Not over bearing at all.