Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #15
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence613 View Post
Could be a bad track where you race. DA might be horrible. Even in Florida where sea level is just about 0, the DA can get to about 2500 which kills our times. Hence my 13.8 in the sig. Granted I'm not bolted on like you, but I feel your pain.

OP, I think I read that you know you wont be satisfied with cracking 13's, but get those LT's and additional suspension on first. Watch your trap speed to see if it increases, (even if your ET doesnt right away). If you have the patience, address everything a step at a time, this way you can point out the weaknesses in your car and attack them individually. If you do everything all at once, it may be harder for you to see where to improve. For example, I dont know what "trailing arms" for you guys are... ( I guess equivalent to our lower control arms??) but that 2.2 60' can be addressed without drag radials if such a part exists on the IRS.

I run consistant 2.0x with street tires and no major power adders (LT's for example) Once my trap speed increases and if my 60' goes up as a result, I would then look at drag radials.

Just my $0.02.

To you other guys worried about being disappointed... go have fun. Don't compare yourself to anyone else and enjoy that $30,000 machine. Admit it, you bought it because it was somewhat fast. Damn sure wasnt the fuel economy. Have fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
^^^This^^^

Identify the weak points and address those.
What weak points could I address? I definitely agree that the 2.2 60' has to be fixed but I figured I could fix it with drag radials? I also got the trailing arms for that. Also looking to do rear cradle bushing inserts. So that should be pretty good suspension wise but I thought drag radials would give me the biggest improvement in the traction department.

What else can I address?

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #16
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I have to agree with jlawrence as well.

It totally makes sense to try just throwing on the suspension mods and see if that alone gets you a better 60 foot time. If it does, you'll be in the 13s with that alone.

Or just do the headers and give it a shot and see what that does.

Otherwise, if going to the strip is just a once in a while thing due to whatever reason, I could see why you'd want to throw multiple mods at it and see what you can get out of it since you may not have many chances to do it.

In that case I don't think you should be afraid to get drag radials. In fact, if it were me, I'd not hesitate all to follow RtCat600man's lead and go with the 18" corvette replica rims for the rear and throw some tires on that (I forget what he is using) and use them strictly for the strip.

But if you really want a track (turns!) setup, well then buying four rims/tires for the track, and two rims/tires for the strip will get expensive fast. You may not want to do that. In this case, if you really want your car setup for the track, skip the rear drag setup and get yourself some lightweight rims and good track tires. Do the suspension mods to help you get off the line quicker at the strip and go at it!

As for the tune...my vote goes to IPF, simply b/c I feel they know the Bosch ECM better. Is it worth it? I can't say 100% for sure yet. Trifecta can be much cheaper, but that doesn't mean its worth it either if it doesn't do anything for you performance wise.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #17
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
you may hate this...but you could always save some and de-mod and buy a used SS or something.

or why not go with the supercharged/turbo route?

you can also think about the pulley mod, upgrade the converter. I think changing the tune would show no change...

idk thats all haha
Old 05-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #18
lscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I have to agree with jlawrence as well.

It totally makes sense to try just throwing on the suspension mods and see if that alone gets you a better 60 foot time. If it does, you'll be in the 13s with that alone.

Yea, I agree I'm already looking into how to do the trailing arm install myself but if not, I'll probably get the bushing inserts and have a shop do everything at once. Suspension is something I wouldn't mind doing all at once just because suspension is something I know nothing about and would hate to mess up.

Or just do the headers and give it a shot and see what that does.

The only thing that is stopping me from installing the headers is whether I should go with high flow cats or straight pipes. I just don't want drone lol.

Otherwise, if going to the strip is just a once in a while thing due to whatever reason, I could see why you'd want to throw multiple mods at it and see what you can get out of it since you may not have many chances to do it.

In that case I don't think you should be afraid to get drag radials. In fact, if it were me, I'd not hesitate all to follow RtCat600man's lead and go with the 18" corvette replica rims for the rear and throw some tires on that (I forget what he is using) and use them strictly for the strip.

I'm not afraid to get drag radials I just really want to get the most bang for the buck. Here's my thinking, don't know if it's wrong or not so if someone thinks otherwise please state why. I figure if I can get a street tire to get me to a sub 2.0 60', wouldn't that be the best just because I would also get the benefits of the better tire while driving all the time. But then there's the fact that I'd probably waste them a lot faster. Lol so many decisions.

But if you really want a track (turns!) setup, well then buying four rims/tires for the track, and two rims/tires for the strip will get expensive fast. You may not want to do that. In this case, if you really want your car setup for the track, skip the rear drag setup and get yourself some lightweight rims and good track tires. Do the suspension mods to help you get off the line quicker at the strip and go at it!

As for the tune...my vote goes to IPF, simply b/c I feel they know the Bosch ECM better. Is it worth it? I can't say 100% for sure yet. Trifecta can be much cheaper, but that doesn't mean its worth it either if it doesn't do anything for you performance wise.

I agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos30 View Post
you may hate this...but you could always save some and de-mod and buy a used SS or something.

No, don't hate it at all. I was about to go and trade my car in for a 5.0 a few weeks ago. But I don't "need" the 5.0 and I'm helping out a family member with some financial matters so I'd rather just keep the car and try to get the most out of it.

or why not go with the supercharged/turbo route?

I actually had already bought and had a supercharger just waiting for install.

you can also think about the pulley mod, upgrade the converter. I think changing the tune would show no change...

idk thats all haha

I'd like to at least see if there will be no gains with the IPF tune so I'm definitely debating that
Answers in bold

Old 05-21-2013, 01:55 AM   #19
lscamaro

Quick question, would a better rear sway help at the track?

Old 05-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #20
jlawrence613

Drives: 2011 V6 Premium Mustang
Again, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to you guys' IRS, but if you're talking front sway bars like our sway bars I'm going to say no. Not only have better sways never shown to be a benefit on our 10-sec F/I cars nor our mid 12 sec N/A cars, I've actually heard if some guys removing them all together at the track.
Mods: MPT 93 Tune, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Airaid CAI, Boss 302 STB, J&M LCA, Whiteline Relocation Brackets, Eibach Sportlines, 18x9/10 2010 GT500 rims 255/45, 285/40/18 Nitto555, BBK Longtube Headers O/R X-pipe Up next: BBK 73mm TB, Ported Intake Manifold, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Mustang GT 2.75" Overaxle pipe.
2011 Ford Mustang V6: 13.258 @ 107.45 MPH Uncorrected
jlawrence613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #21
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

waitttt so you already have the supercharger and you are just waiting to install it? why did you even make this thread then hahahahaa
Old 05-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #22
lscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence613 View Post
Again, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to you guys' IRS, but if you're talking front sway bars like our sway bars I'm going to say no. Not only have better sways never shown to be a benefit on our 10-sec F/I cars nor our mid 12 sec N/A cars, I've actually heard if some guys removing them all together at the track.
Yea, I've heard people remove the front sways but that a rear sway can actually help.

Quote:
waitttt so you already have the supercharger and you are just waiting to install it? why did you even make this thread then hahahahaa
No, I said I HAD it. I sold it

Old 05-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #23
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

what!?!? why?

That would have gotten you low 13s probably!
Old 05-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #24
lscamaro

So if I'm gathering everyone's responses correctly, a good plan of action would be.

1. Install suspension
2. Install headers
3. Get Drag Radials
4. Address anything else that is needed.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #25
lscamaro

Quote:
what!?!? why?

That would have gotten you low 13s probably!
Yea maybe

Old 05-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #26
J_Vibe92

Drives: 2013 Mustang 5.0
why would you sell the supercharger!
Visual mods: Eagle Eyes w/5k hids, Custom Hood Spears, Heritage Grille, Stage 2 LED Dome lights,Transformer Emblems, PD Bezels, 19in Chevy rims with pirellis, Blue painted calipers, GM GFX Front Splitter, 35/20 % Tint, TailLight Tint(charcoal)
1/4 Mile: 13.65 sec @ 102.53 mph R.I.P.
J_Vibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #27
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Vibe92 View Post
Thank you ^^! im not the only one!
Old 05-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #28
lscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Vibe92 View Post
Quote:
Thank you ^^! im not the only one!
The short version is simple. I honestly have absolutely no faith in this engine anymore. You can pm me for the long version if you'd like. Don't want to really make it a focal point of the thread.