Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-27-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
Roger Stattel

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1ss
powder coating procedure question

I'm going to be powder coating my calipers this week. I am familiar with the process, so am fine with that. My question is, is it necessary to disassemble the caliper when I bake them for 25 min at 400°. I'm sure the o-rings are high temp rubber but is 400 pushing it. I would like to avoid disassembling the calipers if possible so let me know what you all think.
Roger Stattel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
I would if it were me. Orings are cheap. I had my calipers powder coated on my Suzuki GSX-R750, and if and when i rebuild them there wont be any chipping when i disassemble them.
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
Synner

Drives: cars
Disassemble it.
How do you expect to strip the existing coating? Ensure all the brake fluid is gone so it doesn't ruin the coating during baking? Also as a coater I would never accept the liability of baking a caliper thats assembled.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:42 PM   #4
Roger Stattel

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1ss
Does it make any difference that these are zl1 rotors. The only thing I'm worried about is the possibility off ripping or tearing one of the gaskets or rings. I read that the rebuild kits for these calipers are pricey.
Roger Stattel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115575
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:45 PM   #6
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
The outer seal is a little difficult to get off and easily damaged but if you gently pry with a jewlers flat blade screwdriver it will come out. You'll see slight indentions on the outer circumference of the seal. That's the best place to pry. Use a little compressed air with a block of wood between the pistons to get the pistons out. The inner seals are square cut O-rings which are easy to remove if you can get behind them, possibly with the same screwdriver. They're a thicker and tougher seal.. about an 1/8", Just don't damage the inner surfaces and you'll be good to go.