Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 08-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Swift Motor Sport Front License Plate Frame Install Explained

Well, I waited a few weeks for this product because I was told it was so busy that they were on Back Order. It was $150.00 shipped. From Here: http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...9f31e771cba318

Here is the Video of my car, Note:The Plate frame is bouncing when lowering due to extra weight of Chrome Plate frame I installed:

This project only took about 2 hours, but that is because of placement decisions and some Camaro Specific things that were not on the directions. So I thought I would post what I did and how it came out here, to help my fellow Camaro Brothers out. Here are the Steps I took. And you can see the descriptive pics I put below to support what I write here.

1 - Open Hood, Put double Sided Tape on Back of Module
2 - Place on left Sidewall, Under hood(See pics)
3 - Drop Control Wires down to the ground (double wire with clip on end) to inside of wheel well cover
4 - Jack car up at this point
5 - Place Masking tape under car where installing to mark area to drill
6 - Pull Plate holder slowly forward so it pops up
7 - Find Placement and mark three holes (as per instructions)
8 - Drill Holes (per Instructions)
9 - Run the wire through, from back to front, between the black plastic lip and painted fascia on the left side
10 - Properly Place wires on motor connectors (as per directions)
11 - Cap Wires and Motor, using supplied cover, and use ZipTie (Per directions)
12 - Remove the two Fascia Bolts under the front fascia (SS MODEL)
13 - Use the Black Screws and the Black Rectangular Flat Nuts to install...Not the stupid rubber sleeves they tell you to use!!
14 - Place your hand , while holding Flat Nut, through the dropped lower lip and hold over the very front drilled holes.
15 - screw through the frame holes into the flat nuts, your holding, to get good secure attachment.
15 - Adjust frame as needed (front to back so that the plate stands up straight and screw tight.
16 - Replace 2 Factory, under Fascia Screws back
17 - Tuck Wire under Black Lip hanging from fascia, nice and neat (See pics)
18 - Let's Wire it up. Lower Car and remove Jack.
19 - First the ground. Attach the black groud wire to the screw holding the plastic radiator surround in (See Pics). Remove the screw completely and put the ring connector under the plastic.
20 - Very Important to make sure the INSIDE OF THE RING TERMINAL MAKES CONTACT WITH THE SCREW as you put the screw back!!!! Or you will not get ground and therefore no power!!
21 - Open the Fuse box and attach the red lead to the main hot terminal by unscrewing slightly and slipping the terminal under it enough for it to bite. The terminal connector will NOT fit over the post so no reason to remove the nut on there completely! Close the fusebox.
22 - Use the supplied wire harness wrap to wrap up all the extra wire and use electrical tape to secure it to the factory harness. You can also use a zip tie to pull up the excess wire going down to the frame and zip tie it to the harness you just created.
23 - Run the little wire antennae between the two body panels that go toward the strut towers (see pic).
24 - Use the remote to test and see if the frame is working. If not, check the ground.....Make sure it is making contact with the screw. You may need to bare the screw slightly with some sandpaper if you are not getting proper ground.
25- Position the foam stopper on the back of the plate holder as per directions!

You are done! Enjoy and I hope this helped!
Attached Images

Last edited by Xmicro_SS; 07-17-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Xmicro_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Old 08-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
markssylver

Drives: 95 bbb impala ss
can that be mounted in the middle?
markssylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markssylver View Post
can that be mounted in the middle?
No, unfortunately, it need to be on a flat spot. After seeing it in person, I think it looks good off to the side.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
RoyalKev

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Where did you get that frame, i want one asap
RoyalKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalKev View Post
Where did you get that frame, i want one asap
Link Above! Hey man, did you think I would leave that out!
Old 08-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Doesn't work with GFX though :(
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #9
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Doesn't work with GFX though :(
Look at my pics, you may be able to get it to work if you build brackets and such. I have yet to see the ground effects in person, but there has to be a way to get it to work.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:44 AM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Durable enough that over time at high speeds it will hold up and not hit against your facia too much?
Old 08-31-2009, 02:00 AM   #11
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Durable enough that over time at high speeds it will hold up and not hit against your facia too much?
It is pretty heavy duty and there are two large foam adhesive pads on the back that are about 1/2" thick. No worries. And besides I have the clear Bra Just in case.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:18 PM   #12
dan@swift

Drives: 1967 Chevy II
Send a message via AIM to dan@swift
This is an excellent write-up, thank-you for taking the time to do this and help the other Camaro guys out. I apologize for the wait, the manufacturer is having a difficult time keeping up with the demand due to all of the high-end new cars being released without provisions for holding a plate, and so many states requiring it. For what it's worth, I do have a huge shipment coming into the store early next week, so shipping will be much quicker.
dan@swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #13
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan@swift View Post
This is an excellent write-up, thank-you for taking the time to do this and help the other Camaro guys out. I apologize for the wait, the manufacturer is having a difficult time keeping up with the demand due to all of the high-end new cars being released without provisions for holding a plate, and so many states requiring it. For what it's worth, I do have a huge shipment coming into the store early next week, so shipping will be much quicker.
Very much worth the wait Dan, I was complaining, just warning others to get their orders in!!

I have showed a bunch of people, I am sure they have already ordered. Now I have to figure out how to hook it up under my SKY and I will be ordering one for that car too!!

GREAT PRODUCT! and so far my favorite Mod!
Old 09-04-2009, 10:30 PM   #14
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
So will it fit on the V6 fascia?