Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
B-_-RAD
Banned

Drives: ...
The worthless 2yr/24k mile service plan

Just fyi for people who like to actually change their oil regularly, don't expect to get it changed by the dealer under the free scheduled maintenance plan. Tried to get an oil change today and was told by the dealer AND chevy customer service that they will not change the oil unless the indicator says 15% or less. Makes no sense to me since you're limited to 4 oil changes, and changing oil sooner could potentially save them from having to pay out on a warranty claim. Oh well, at least I have a case number and I will get it escalated later. Pretty piss poor customer service when someone buys $90k of chevy vehicles in 2 months.
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:11 PM   #2
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Unless you are tracking the car, it doesn't need to be changed that often. Many people, myself included, grew up having (change the oil every 3,000 miles) beat into our heads. Technology and oil have changed drastically since that mantra began (in the era of conventional oil) and these cars use full synthetic. Regardless of whether the oil is changed every 10,000 miles based on the computer or every 3,000 miles, the motor is still covered under warranty. The computer has a safety margin factored in anyway, so why not rely on the tested and proven computer monitoring?

In any case, it's all Chevrolet dealers, not just the one you are using.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:17 PM   #3
B-_-RAD
Banned

My point is, the vehicle in question is my Silverado, which I bought in nov '13, it was manufactured around march of 2013, so the oil had been sitting in the truck for about 8 months, and now is atleast a year old and has 4xxx miles on it. I dont care what that oil life reading says, the oil needs to be changed
Old 02-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
MrFrost

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 - "Mabel"
Yeah I got that plan given to me when I bought my car and the sales guy told me they wouldn't change it unless the indicator was way down. So I am thinking what is the point ? I don't want to risk problems waiting so long between oil changes but if I stick by their rules I wont get but 1 or 2 oil changes for free.
Let me know what you find out please
MrFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:22 PM   #5
2ssrsvert

Drives: 2013 2SS RS BLACK CONVERTIBLE
I just took my 14 Silverado in today with 43XX miles on it bought it in oct 29 2013. and had no issues with them changing the oil and doing rotation at all. I think it comes down to the dealers discretion. my oil life meter was like 21% or something. I would argue that one for sure, Best of luck
or just check with another dealer
2ssrsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:25 PM   #6
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
same as any other manufacturer. BMW won't change the oil until 15,000 miles..

my general rule of thumb is 20% on the oil meter or 1 year whichever comes first..

I will agree with the OP that the plan is pretty worthless for people that don't put a lot of miles on their vehicles.. For those that manage 250-350 or more a week it is probably a good deal.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #7
B-_-RAD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ssrsvert View Post
I just took my 14 Silverado in today with 43XX miles on it bought it in oct 29 2013. and had no issues with them changing the oil and doing rotation at all. I think it comes down to the dealers discretion. my oil life meter was like 21% or something. I would argue that one for sure, Best of luck
or just check with another dealer
It's not just the dealer, I even called gm customer service and they refused to waive the 15% oil life requirement. Not sure how yours is so low and we have about the same mileage. You do a lot of stop and go?

Hopefully a customer service rep will chime in at some point.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:30 PM   #8
B-_-RAD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
same as any other manufacturer. BMW won't change the oil until 15,000 miles..

my general rule of thumb is 20% on the oil meter or 1 year whichever comes first..

I will agree with the OP that the plan is pretty worthless for people that don't put a lot of miles on their vehicles.. For those that manage 250-350 or more a week it is probably a good deal.
I drive 240 miles every 3 days and it sure isnt helping me one bit. There should be a time limit that supercedes the percentage
Old 02-19-2014, 10:37 PM   #9
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-_-RAD View Post
I drive 240 miles every 3 days and it sure isnt helping me one bit. There should be a time limit that supercedes the percentage
4,000 miles in 4 months is ~250 a week not 500 a week.

but I agree with you, the vehicle is a year old and the oil should be changed..
Old 02-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #10
B-_-RAD
Banned

I wasn't saying I drive 500 a week, just I use the truck at least 240 miles and at least 3 days a week, other driving is done with other vehicles mostly.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:12 AM   #11
honor first
MURICA!

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
i really don't understand the complaint here. I'm in the same boat, 100k in chevy vehicles bought in my household in a one month period. i just had my first oil change in the camaro done at 7k which is more than i like, but with today's vehicle and oil tech, it isn't a big deal. ill probably go to 5k changes when i get out of the free oil changes, but what is your complaint? that chevy is sticking to the guidelines that they set forth when you bought the vehicle? you're mad that chevy won't change their nationwide policy just for you specially? it is what it is, deal with it; if you want it done sooner than the oil change monitor says, how could you expect them to do it for free. at the end of the day, the truck/car production date doesn't really matter. if the vehicle sat for a while, that is in no way shape or form a justifiable reason to require the oil change early. the only way that would be justified would be if the vehicle had an insane amount of idling hours, or something like that.

edit: so that being said, i find the 2yr.24k plan to not only not be worthless, but to be great, just got a 100 dollar oil change for free, because i don't expect chevy to cater to me specifically.
AFE Intake, Stainless Power Headers + HFC, BadlanzHPE Electric Cutouts. 315/275 Nittos, Wheels. Debadged, Cosmetic Mods, Sound System, More
honor first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #12
B-_-RAD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFrost View Post
Yeah I got that plan given to me when I bought my car and the sales guy told me they wouldn't change it unless the indicator was way down. So I am thinking what is the point ? I don't want to risk problems waiting so long between oil changes but if I stick by their rules I wont get but 1 or 2 oil changes for free.
Let me know what you find out please
Just got off the phone with customer service and the local dealer. They said bring it in to be changed. Owners manual clearly states oil must be changed at least once a year.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #13
ZuluKilla8

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS RJT
Does the indicator only go by milage? I have put 2500 miles on my Equinox in 4 months and it is at 30% life left.
2010 Camaro SS LS3 Holley Hi-Ram Manifold,Custom grind boost cam,Vortech V-3,10Rib 3.47 Pully Airfilter Pipe Delete, 10 PSI, TSP LT Headers, Flowmaster Outlaws, Alky Control Meth Kit, PFADT 1.25, ZL1 Fuel Pump, DSS 1000HP axles, Mantic ER2 Clutch, Full BMR rear suspension drag pack upgrade. C6 Vette 18 rims with M/T 305 out back. COPO Hood
Race Proven Motorsports tuned
ZuluKilla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #14
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
I wasn't saying I drive 500 a week, just I use the truck at least 240 miles and at least 3 days a week, other driving is done with other vehicles mostly.
I see, I misunderstood what you were saying.

Quote:
Just got off the phone with customer service and the local dealer. They said bring it in to be changed. Owners manual clearly states oil must be changed at least once a year.