Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
An L99's Quest For Power

First of all, I need some really educated and experienced guys to give me they're advice on this topic. I have an SS with the L99 engine(400hp-crank), (rw??),...I want to know what kind of add-ons and mods should I look into purchasing if I want my car to get around 500 hp at the rear wheels. I mean I really don't know where to start. I heard cams will get you a huge boost fast, but I want a daily driver too and don't want to suck up as much gas as a H2.

You see the whole purpose behind this is, I really a want car that can take the Corvette Grandsport which has 430 hp. A Corvette is significantly lighter than the Camaro SS but I'm wondering with a supercharger or some hella mods would the Camaro stand a chance? I could have bought a Grandsport Vette for it's pure speed and performance if I wanted too but I love the look of a Camaro better. I'd like that kind of speed but on a Camaro.

Where should I start my quest? Cam, headers, exhaust, intake,?
Please be specific if your recommending me something:price and where I can get it. Now, if you consider putting a vette against a modded camaro silly, that's find, I don't care, but I'm asking solely because of my own curiosity. Try not to bash me.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
SamSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
-Cold air intake
-Long tube headers
-Cat back exhaust
-Supercharger

Is that gonna do it?

I forgot about the tune. Yeah, add tune to my list too.

Last edited by SamSS; 01-08-2010 at 08:45 PM.
SamSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
You looking to get around 150/180rwhp out of just Cam/Headers/Exhaust/Intake will not happen. You need to get Heads and tune also.

By the time your down you will have almost enough money that you could have bought a good SC. IMO

I also start with exhaust. Cam/Headers/heads all require tuning.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
FEN

Drives: BLACK 2SS/RS
I would think that the following would get you around 540-550 RWHP easily....

Headers,Hi-Flo cats,full exhaust kit
CAI
TVS 2300 SC
Tune

Probably cost aprox. 10K
FEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
JohnInSoCal

Drives: RJT L99 500HP
Exhaust, CAI and supercharger @ 8lbs with dyno tune puts you over 500 with the L99. You could do a cam but if you are just seeking 500 I see no reason to open up the engine. Looking at 10-11K. I haven't run mine on 1/4 yet but it's a beast on the street and with the auto you have instant torque and acceleration, lots of fun.
JohnInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
SamSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInSoCal View Post
Exhaust, CAI and supercharger @ 8lbs with dyno tune puts you over 500 with the L99. You could do a cam but if you are just seeking 500 I see no reason to open up the engine. Looking at 10-11K. I haven't run mine on 1/4 yet but it's a beast on the street and with the auto you have instant torque and acceleration, lots of fun.
Especially in sport mode.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Everyone thank you for your responses. I guess it does make sense to probably just get a superchargers. I could do that after a couple of months.

Anyhow I'm probably just going to get Hennessey HPE550 package. I'm still waiting on them to give me a price. It may be easier to just save my money and let them do it rather than try and do all of this myself.

Well here is another question.....if I let Hennessey do the HPE550 package( the car that beat the GT500 in Motor Trend) would that car be able to keep up with or beat a Corvette Grandsport with 430hp?
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #8
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH View Post
Everyone thank you for your responses. I guess it does make sense to probably just get a superchargers. I could do that after a couple of months.

Anyhow I'm probably just going to get Hennessey HPE550 package. I'm still waiting on them to give me a price. It may be easier to just save my money and let them do it rather than try and do all of this myself.

Well here is another question.....if I let Hennessey do the HPE550 package( the car that beat the GT500 in Motor Trend) would that car be able to keep up with or beat a Corvette Grandsport with 430hp?
It would be a good race.....That corvette is capable of 11.3-11.6 quarter mile times.

Your Camaro will need a minimum of 100 more rwhp and torque to overcome the weight difference.

I personally would start with a Larger cubic engine,Than add the blower for a guaranteed win as well as a bullet proof setup.Of course it will set you back a little more money,but if you let us do it we will treat you right on the price and the quality of work your car deserves.

Andy
www.admperformance.com
214-228-8782
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:23 AM   #9
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH View Post

If you're wanting to keep up with the vettes, you're gonna need something more than the standard 2300 TVS. You might want to look into a procharger or turbo. I know Victory makes a single turbo kit that puts down well over 500whp and that's with a T76 at just 7lbs of boost. Using a bigger turbo would easily net you over 600whp and put you in the Corvette range. A DS1 Procharger would get you there as well. I know Whipple is coming out with new SC as are a few others. This will give you a chance to look around and see which one fits your needs.

Just remember that more power means you'll need better suspension to keep it on the ground. Subframe bushings, all the other bushings, sways, springs or coilovers, and a chasis brace are gonna be instrumental in transfering all your power to the ground and keeping you in a straight line. They will also help in keeping the car in control around corners.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #10
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Tune Time's L99 A6 made 450 rwhp with Heads/Cam, full exhaust, tuning.
It ran 11.80s @ 119 mph at the track.

But if you want 500+ rwhp you'll have to go with forced induction.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #11
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Not to bash Hennessey or anything, but keep in mind you're paying a lot of money for their name. The same goes for any of the "big-time" names, like SLP, Lingenfelter, etc. You would be better off paying a somewhat smaller shop to do this (like ADM) that doesn't charge you just to put their name on your windshield.

Also, what do you mean by "beat" a GS Corvette? Do you mean beat them down the 1/4 mile, or around a road course? If you want to beat them around a road or autocross course, you're going to need to do a LOT more than just add horsepower. You will need better tires, sway bars, lower springs, coilovers if you can afford them, new suspension bushings, and the BMR control arms wouldn't hurt, either. Pfadt or Pedders could hook you up with all of said suspension parts. You might also look to get some better brake pads. And if you're going to do that, you might as well get some Racing Brake 2-piece rotors, as the more track-oriented brake pads tend to eat up your rotors faster. That way you can switch out rotors/pads for the street/track. Then of course you would probably need more power.

If all you want is to beat a GS Corvette in the 1320, things will be much simpler. The first things you need to do are a cold air intake (and look for ones that are TRUE cold air - def not the Hennessey) and long tube headers. The two combined, along with a tune, should get you 40 +/- RWHP. Your next step, as far as being most easily added and least invasive, is a nitrous kit. A 150 wet shot should get you there. Couple this with a 3200 RPM stall convertor and I doubt there are many GS Corvette owners out there that would be able to keep up with you. The next easiest thing you could do would be adding a supercharger. I think Crowley on here had a package done through ADM with long tubes, CAI, supercharger and tune that netted him 550 RWHP. Can't remember if he has the L99 or LS3 though. Either way, Intake/Exhaust/Supercharger should net you over 500 RWHP and a stall convertor should get you low 11's easily as long as you can get traction. Remember that supercharge adds close to 100lbs to your car though, which will affect handling. The most intensive route is intake/exhaust along with a cam/ported heads. OrangeChevy went this route via LG and I think he ran an 11.2 using their cam, headers, intake, and ported heads. Then he sprayed it and got low 10's with a trap speed that could get him 9's if he hooks.

Long story short, I would call a reputable shop (LG, ADM, Redline, just look through the vendors section) who has experience with all of these options and tell them what you want and what you don't want, and they can work to help you find your best option. Hope this helps.
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #12
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Go with an agressive head/cam combo. Nothing sounds better. Then add 150 shot to really shake off all the maggies. You could probably do it for less than the price of a supercharger too.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
FASST 1

Drives: Black 1SS
If you are going to add over about 550 rwhp or so to an L99 you better also budget transmission upgrades.
FASST 1 is offline   Reply With Quote