Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-10-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
Chicadepueblo
2010 2SS/RS "Rizzo"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Brake & Rotor job needed

Hello Everyone,
So today I was told by the service manager at my local chevy dealership that my car was going to need a brake job within the next 3,000 to 5,000 miles. Now with that said I now have questions before I make a decision concerning what to do. First a little background info for my car. I am the second owner and currently the car has 36,204 miles on it. I think the car has the original brake rotors and pads. I do drive fast but have not dragged/ raced the car and done any hard braking. So here are my questions.

1. If these are the original rotors is it better to replace them or can they be re-surfaced and reused?
2. What brake pads should I go with aftermarket or OEM? Again I do not race the car yet. lol
3. If I have to replace the rotors which rotors should I get. The drilled/slotted rotors are awesome but I'm trying to keep the costs as low as possible. (I'm a school teacher and I'm trying to get ready for the start of the school year. So that unfortunately is also taking some of my cash flow away!)
4. How much do you think brake pads, new rotors, and labor would cost me?

If anyone could give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it.

All the best,
Roberta
Chicadepueblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #2
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Depends on what you want. If you are looking to race later don't get cross drilled rotors since they tend to crack under high stress and heat. Get slotted and dimpled or just slotted rotors. Pads also depend on what you are trying to do. If its just street stockers are fine or go with a set of hawk pads. Ceramic are good for the street with less brake dust, hp are good for the street as well but more dust but have better bite.

Ask around for help in your area someone may up them on for free or a 12 pack lol
If you wana make the long trip to the Palm Springs area I can install them for a few beers.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
Black_2SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS HotWheels Edition
I'm just over 96K on mine stock pads/rotors. I can tell you I just ordered some ceramic pads from Advanced Auto for about $60 to do the front and rear. I'm gonna chance not doing the rotors this time as they really aren't in too bad of shape. May regret it but saved a few hundred bucks for now. It seems like the last time I asked about getting some rotors turned they said they don't do it much any more. Maybe that was just here in my area though. Anyway, if they are not grooved or warped your probably ok. Not sure what labor would cost as I've never paid for it. Really if you have a jack and air tools you can do the job in around an hour (I hope!!!) without too much difficulty (I REALLY hope!!!) I've done other cars, just not my Camaro yet. I'm pretty certain any local shop is cheaper than the dealer though so you might ask around. Good luck!
Black_2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
Chicadepueblo
2010 2SS/RS "Rizzo"

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
Team STILLEN

Drives: Varies
We have a great special going on for our Stillen Sport Rotors! Purchase any rotor and you will receive FREE Stillen Metal Matrix pads!

You have your choice of Cross Drilled, Slotted, Cross Drilled/Slotted and Hook Slotted! I will also give you a Camaro5 discount on the rotors!

PM or Call me directly with any questions.

Thanks

JT
Team STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicadepueblo View Post
Hello Everyone,
So today I was told by the service manager at my local chevy dealership that my car was going to need a brake job within the next 3,000 to 5,000 miles. Now with that said I now have questions before I make a decision concerning what to do. First a little background info for my car. I am the second owner and currently the car has 36,204 miles on it. I think the car has the original brake rotors and pads. I do drive fast but have not dragged/ raced the car and done any hard braking. So here are my questions.

1. If these are the original rotors is it better to replace them or can they be re-surfaced and reused?

You should be able to resurface them once, but new rotors are not a bad idea.

2. What brake pads should I go with aftermarket or OEM? Again I do not race the car yet. lol

OEM pads are actually fairly decent, they just dust a lot. You Can get better stopping power and less dust with Hawk HPS pads and they tend to cost less. You could even go with the Hawk Performance Ceramic pads and eliminate brake dust almost entirely.

3. If I have to replace the rotors which rotors should I get. The drilled/slotted rotors are awesome but I'm trying to keep the costs as low as possible. (I'm a school teacher and I'm trying to get ready for the start of the school year. So that unfortunately is also taking some of my cash flow away!)

We have the Granatelli Slotted and dimpled rotors on for a fair price, and I can cut you a great deal with the pads.

Feel free to PM me for a price on rotors and pads. Labor should only be about $100 or so. Or find a local Camaro enthusiast and it will only cost ya a 12 pack

All the best,
Roberta
I posted my responses above in green. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
My answers are in blue below.

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Honestly I wouldn't re-surface or turn the rotors in these car. With that being said it doesn't mean that it can't be done it's just something I wouldn't do to my camaro.

The OEM brake pads are quite good but if i was looking at replacing pads i would look at the Hawk Ceramics in your car. They will stop very similar to OEM just give you a lot less dust. and they aren't very highly priced if you shop around.

Like stated above if you ever plan on racing I wouldn't recommend getting a Drilled rotor since they do have a tendency of cracking under pressure. I have Drilled rotors but i never plan on racing just stimply wanted it for the look.

I just upgraded my brakes to R1 Drilled and Slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads and spent a little under 100 a corner. Love the way it turned out. But since your an SS it will be slightly higher than the V6 brakes. Labor shouldn't be to bad since it can be done in under an hour by anyone that has the tools ready and knows what they are doing. Took me around an hour and half but I had to go and scavenge for the right tools in the garage

All the best,
Roberta
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
*After reading information I just decided to purchase new rotors and forgo the re-surface.

* I purchased aftermarket Hawk seemed the way to go cost a little more but not much.

* I purchased slotted as I didnt see any gains from drilled rotors (with the exception of high priced racing rotors). The slotted looked as the best for stock / auto x on occasions.

*Not sure on labor, but you could be looking at 600 or more if above OEM. Really if I were you I would PM some vendors and have them send you the prices.

I just purchased new R1 rotors and hawk ceramic pads cost was $500.00 for everthing. The rotors were the premium slotted, so a little more cost to me. The items are for a 2LS (V6) Camaro so pricing will be a little more for a SS (V8).
Plan on install this weekend and a 12 pac to someone.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
First thing to do is get a second opinion. Take it someplace that will give you a free estimate.

Second is if you are just street driving then stock is just fine for you and there is no reason to upgrade anything unless you want to.

Third, unless your rotors are heavily grooved or cracked they should be ok and you shouldn't need to replace them. This is where a second opinion comes in handy.

Replacing the pads is very simple on our cars and if you know anyone who is mechanically inclined they could do it for you relatively cheap. Like for the price of parts and a twelve pack.

Let us know what happens and thank you for educating our future.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
If i can help with DBA rotors and Hawk Pads let me know, i have some very good prices going on them right now.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
Chicadepueblo
2010 2SS/RS "Rizzo"

Just wanted to say a very big thank you to everyone for their response's. I really do appreciate them all. It has really helped me narrow down my choices. I think I'm going with replacing the rotors with some slotted ones (not sure which brand just yet) as well as new Hawk HPS pads. We'll see what happens in the next couple of day's.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #12
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
Quote:
I think I'm going with replacing the rotors with some slotted ones (not sure which brand just yet) as well as new Hawk HPS pads. We'll see what happens in the next couple of day's.
I've been thinking the same thing! Slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads! I recently changed my OEM brake lines to Goodridge stainless steel lines and that alone seemed to help a little!
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #13
Chicadepueblo
2010 2SS/RS "Rizzo"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Ox View Post
I've been thinking the same thing! Slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads! I recently changed my OEM brake lines to Goodridge stainless steel lines and that alone seemed to help a little!
Just tried to reply to your pm but it said you can't receive pm's. Weird. But to answer your question. DBA & Baer are the one's I've been looking at. But Baer may be a little out of my price range right know. Once I get both brakes and rotors changed out I'll do the stainless steel brake lines as well a little later down the road. One small step at a time right.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #14
ZWA SS
BowtieBelle's SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I'm in the same situation. Except I'm pushing 70k miles on mine.
Mine is primarily a DD, but in August I have a track day at Hallet.
I have fluid ready to flysh(Amsoil DOT4).
I will have my rotors examined. And I'm still deciding on pads. EBC Yellowstuff, Hawk HPS, or OE.
ZWA SS is offline   Reply With Quote