Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-26-2010, 04:07 PM   #15
TinyToasta

Drives: way too fast....
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
IMO - a converter is the FIRST thing I'd do in my car. The caveat is that it should be matched to your combination, so if you already know what you're going to be doing, make sure to have it matched.

I won't have another CAMARO (if it's an auto') without a stall. My old one was a 3800 through 3.23s and it was GREAT!!! Just make sure to get a good tune for the tranny to take advantage
...and the TC knoob strikes again....

What exactly is being done when matching your TC to your chosen set-up? What specs on a TC can be modified to match it with your engine's increased output?

I'm getting there, eventually....
CTS-V Brake upgrade, Street: 22'' Vossen CV1, Strip: 18'' Forgestar F14 on MT Street Radials
TinyToasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #16
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyToasta View Post
...and the TC knoob strikes again....

What exactly is being done when matching your TC to your chosen set-up? What specs on a TC can be modified to match it with your engine's increased output?

I'm getting there, eventually....
I'm not expert, so I hope someone with more practical knowledge steps in, but if you're adding a cam to the car, you're going to have to match the stall speed to the car and the car's expected usage. Giving the cam specs' to the stall manufacturer will give you the best results, IMO. You can always have the converter restalled, but that takes more $$$ and you have to pull the tranny again and all that, so it's best to know what cam you're with from the outset, give that to the converter company so they can match the powerband and such, and you should be pretty good.

Another thing to consider is how tight you want it, and if you're more interested in top end or coming out of the hole. Only because I've used them, and because I know they're site was really helpful to me at the time, i'd recommend looking at Yank's site for a more in-depth description of what a converter does and how it influences the performance of the car. There are many sponsors in our Community I'd suggest you look to for purchase (some of which I'm sure carry Yank converters, too), but they were most helpful.

As far as computer tuning, there maybe some slip codes that need to be deleted, depending on the stall speed, you will likely want to manipulate Torque Management, there's shift firmness, quickness, and pressures to consider... I've seen some threads that have recommendations, but there are tuners in the Community that can probably set you up with a good tune via e-mail, too, so long as you have the necessary hardware to communicate with the car.

Also - go to the tranny section stickies for more information

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #17
SK360
Account Suspended

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Best thing you can do is to talk to one of the converter companies about your goals, mods and future plans. They can come up with something to fit your description.

FTI, Circle D, Yank, Precision Industries... take your pick. My next converter will be an FTI or a Circle D
SK360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:33 AM   #18
Luttinger

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
There are a lot of aftermarket cams for the L99 available. Which one can you recommend for use without the necessity to install a TC?

Can we probably say that the most Stage I (MAST, MTI, etc.) cams can be used without TC?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:29 AM   #19
SK360
Account Suspended

I have no idea what a stage anything cam is, that trend needs to GTFO.

A mild enough cam to keep the stock converter is not going to be fun :X
Old 10-27-2010, 08:03 AM   #20
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
In my eye's you get more SOTP results with a converter rather than a Cam.Both is real good.

Stay with a good converter company. I use Yank and Circle D for all the customer cars. Always add a tranny cooler too.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:17 AM   #21
lexlueger

Drives: V10 BMW M5, Supercharged 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luttinger View Post
There are a lot of aftermarket cams for the L99 available. Which one can you recommend for use without the necessity to install a TC?

Can we probably say that the most Stage I (MAST, MTI, etc.) cams can be used without TC?

I'm running a mast stage 1 with a stock converter. It can be done but.... I'll be adding a pro torque or precision Industries TC this month.
IW 8 RIB PULLEY W/ OD COG REARS
NX EXPRESS/NANO KIT

KDI HEAT EXCHANGER/ROTOFAB RESERVOIR
CIRCLE D 2800 TC/FLEX PLATE/ADM TRANS COOLER
DSS DRIVESHAFT/1400 HP AXLES
EATON TRUETRAC -LPE 3.27 GEARS
DYNATECH HEADERS/MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST
SQUASH RETURN STYLE FS ID 850's E85/ FLEXFUEL
BMR/EIBACH SUSPENSION

KILL MODE, ON.

lexlueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #22
Freddy

Drives: Camaro 2SS L99 Black
Many thanks for all your help.
The question of Tiny relate to me.
I currently have orderd the High Flow cats from Solo Performance.
And wanted to mounting a MAST Stage 1 CAM.
If you can not drive the Stage 1 Cam without an new converter, I'll probably like the Stage 2 and take the converter to
I think that is the best for my car

But what kind of converter i must have for it
That's all not so simple.

Maybe you can help me a little
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #23
SK360
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Many thanks for all your help.
The question of Tiny relate to me.
I currently have orderd the High Flow cats from Solo Performance.
And wanted to mounting a MAST Stage 1 CAM.
If you can not drive the Stage 1 Cam without an new converter, I'll probably like the Stage 2 and take the converter to
I think that is the best for my car

But what kind of converter i must have for it
That's all not so simple.

Maybe you can help me a little
Please do your self a favor and call Circle D, FTI, Yank or any of the other great converter companies and tell them your setup/plans/goals and they will do the hard work for you.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #24
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
Please do your self a favor and call Circle D, FTI, Yank or any of the other great converter companies and tell them your setup/plans/goals and they will do the hard work for you.
Totally aggree. We are running 1-2 tenths quicker with the similar stalled FTI than any of the others we have used for the past 11 years, and turnaround is only 1 day usually. Only one I will use now for the GM lock-up trannies now.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #25
Freddy

Drives: Camaro 2SS L99 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
Okay,
you can see, my english is not the best, but i can try to send a mail to Circle D, FTI, Yank or any of the other great converter companies.

I write them what I want to install and they build me the right converter, is that correct?
can a try

But waht is with that converter?
Is that not so good what I plan for?
http://jreperformanceparts.com/2010-...rter-2800.html
or this think
http://www.phastekperformance.com/pr...o%20ss2800.htm

I would like to make it as easy as possible because I have not so many opportunities in Germany
I'll be the first here, how would make a conversion in his L99

No risk no fun
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote