Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #43
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis104 View Post
I just got my supercharger relaxed last week. The marble rattling sound was horrible. Car is an M6 and so far have t had any flutters, but I have only driven about 100 miles.

How long from the time you had the problem diagnosed to the time that GM sent the parts to the dealer? I have been waiting for a month just to get a yea or neigh from the dealer.
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #44
JackalopeZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Mine had the parts the next day after doing the paperwork. Took it back and they had it done in 6 hours
Old 09-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #45
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355197
Post #20 has a link to the TSB
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #46
RedZL1

Drives: Victory Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM....ZL1 View Post
How long from the time you had the problem diagnosed to the time that GM sent the parts to the dealer? I have been waiting for a month just to get a yea or neigh from the dealer.
I just had my SC replaced....so far, so good. No signs of "flutter", but have only put on ~120 miles.

To answer your question....it took about a week for my replacement SC to come in. My expectation was that the new part would deliver to the dealer in a few days (based on what others have stated) and I would then receive a follow-up call from the service dept to schedule an appt to bring the car in. I didn't hear anything for a week, so I called the service department to find out where things stood. What happened next caught me a bit by surprise. The dude at the servicce dept told me he didn't know the status and transferred me over to the parts dept so I could do their leg work and find out if the new SC was delivered.....how's that for customer service!? Turns out it was sitting on the shelf waiting for someone to take the lead.....WTH! You can't make this sh!t up.
RedZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #47
Travis104

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I took my car in and they said that the superchargers were about 4 days out. I went on vacation, and it was about 2 weeks before I actually got the part put on.
Travis104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:18 PM   #48
Admiral Ballsy

Drives: a soft bargain
You guys that just got the replacements, if you don't have the rattle noise now, you're good. It's there, or it's not - it doesn't 'develop' as time progresses.

So, buy lottery tickets - you won!
Admiral Ballsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:48 PM   #49
JamesZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 Camaro, 2015 C7 A6 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM....ZL1 View Post
I took my car in Thursday last week..The Service manager came out and heard the problem, he ordered the parts...Got them in at the End of Business of Friday and they replaced the Super Charger on Monday and the car was done by 4:30 Monday afternoon... so if you went in on a Monday (depending on how backed up the Dealer is) mine got done in 2 days including parts being ordered, shipped and installed.

With regards to the Flutter....I have an A6 and I have noticed a weird vibration like the Belt feeling like its trying to come off (its not, but thats the only description I can give about how it feels). Does it when turning and at low speeds (under 10 MPH or so).
Roto-Fab CAI, Texas Speed Headers, Texas Speed X-Pipe, Texas Speed LS3-B Blower Cam, Metco 9.10" Crank Pulley, Metco 2.5 Upper Pulley, ID 850 Injectors, LPE Ported Throttle Body, Alky Control Methanol kit, E2 Catch Can, 610HP / 608 Torque.
JamesZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:02 PM   #50
AMMUSCLE

Drives: 2013 ZL1 VERT M6
I just got my car back and the new supercharger.
Runs great, sounds clean and no flutter.

My tech just shook his head and said he had no answers on why they sent him the TSB on the fluttering instead on my supercharger.

He reordered and they shipped it in. It is the same part # as before.
It took a month!!!!!

Maybe they are just warning all M6 cars that we may get a fluttering noise under low rpm load conditions and this is normal. So beware.

When we first got our cars and started to hear rattles and loose marble sounds we were told this is normal just drive it. That is what GM was telling their techs and dealers.

Now that is not the case.

Who knows we might even get another upgrade for these superchargers in the future for this flutter that some people are getting.

But either way I'm glad to see that GM is taking care of this and making customers happy. That is what it is about.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #51
Samson2029

Drives: 328xi, ML400, ZL1 man. 2013
Some may not be that happy. I have become fixated on this flutter. During routine maintenance, as the tech was driving away, I was able to hear that brief flutter from outside the car.
Makes my ZL1 sound cheap. Dont know if i should wait for a gm fix or modify the coupler myself.
Samson2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #52
Admiral Ballsy

Drives: a soft bargain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson2029 View Post
Dont know if i should wait for a gm fix or modify the coupler myself.
I think the only ways you can get rid of it (without changing the supercharger) are to either change to the old spring design, or go with overdrive pulleys. The coupler doesn't make the noise, but the spring design was developed to hide it.

I'll be more than a little surprised if GM does anything about it. I think the only reason they did anything about the marbles noise is, they got enough bearing failures that it made economic sense.

The only 'damage' this noise can do is theoretically shorten the life of the gearset. But that might be "it fails at 200K instead of 250K".

Combine that with the fact that by and large this is a manual-only issue, and the population is really small. There are something like 20000 2nd-gen CTS-Vs; I'd be surprised if 4000 of them are manuals. I'd guess with 2014 included, there are probably about the same number of ZL1s, and probably 8000-9000 manuals.

Anyway, you get the point - it's a small number of cars, and there's no complaint besides "I don't like the noise", it's not going to break anything. So I won't hold my breath for a fix. I'm not sure what a fix would even look like, really.
Admiral Ballsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:39 PM   #53
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
I brought mine in last Friday for the rattle and what I thought was rear diff noise. Today I get a call and was told the supercharger replacement is now on hold due to the fluttering. He said essentially they're not replacing one problem with a part that has another problem. So, mine is stuck at the dealer during the final driving weather of the year.

On top of that the rear end noise turned out to be a bearing...which is also on hold due to a milling issue and they won't get the new part for another week.

Anyone else hearing the same stories? I'm not sure if its true or an uneducated service department.
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #54
Whos_Drivin

I decided to contact GM Customer Service and got the same response...now the supercharger rattle is normal. They talked through it with me, found the TSB and contacted the dealership all while I was on the phone. I was told the dealership said the rattle is now normal based on PIP5192B??? and there is no replacement part available.

I had the letter they sent in front of me as well as TSB 13313 stating the service procedure was to replace the supercharger. They said they couldn't see that information because they only had page one.

I have never had an issue like this with GM...ever...and this is disappointing...
Old 09-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #55
JamesZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 Camaro, 2015 C7 A6 Z51
I got a copy of the correct TSB from this site, its posted on one of the many threads about this. I took the TSB in and gave it to the Service manager directly so this issue would not happen.. Already had one dealer tell me they could not find anything on it. Its sad when I have to find it for them before they will do anything to fix my car. The 1st dealership said they could not hear the rattle I was talking about..I mean I'm standing right there with the car running and hearing the marbles in a can sound and he said nope, I don't hear it. I take it to another dealer (A GMC dealer at that) and they happen to have 2 world class Techs from GM working there, one of them comes out and hears it said said, no problem we'll get it fixed. 1 day to get the parts in and picked it up EOB the next day...Now thats service.
Roto-Fab CAI, Texas Speed Headers, Texas Speed X-Pipe, Texas Speed LS3-B Blower Cam, Metco 9.10" Crank Pulley, Metco 2.5 Upper Pulley, ID 850 Injectors, LPE Ported Throttle Body, Alky Control Methanol kit, E2 Catch Can, 610HP / 608 Torque.
JamesZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #56
Whos_Drivin

The dealership service manager called me back tonight and we walked through the same TSB stating "if left uncorrected, the problem, over time, may lead to
contamination of the lubricating grease and cause the bearing to squeal. If left unaddressed, the bearing may overheat and can cause engine seizure or a no-start condition."

He said there was an update to PIP5192A, which was PIP5192B that was released 9/11/14. In that they said they were not replacing the superchargers. His guess was that it was due to the fluttering. He also said that the original TSB released May 2014 extended the warranty...to which I questioned what good is an extended warranty if I can't get the part replaced? He laughed and said, yep, one says it's an issue, then the next says to not replace it. The service manager was actually nice about it, agreed there was conflicts in the TSB vs PIP and said he would contact GM Technical Support in the morning and let me know what's going on.

I just wish someone could tell me what's going on...either they're sending a replacement supercharger, tell me there's a new part number they're waiting on, or tell me they're not going to replace it and I'll put in a solid coupler. But, this miss-information and conflicting TSB vs PIP and lack of knowledge from GM Customer Service is frustrating.