Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #71
JackalopeZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Old 11-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #72
JackalopeZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrfronty View Post
Not a biggie here, but the tires in the 1LE cannot be rotated. Same 285"s front & back. But we have 10" wheels up front and 11" wheels in the back. Thus a no go on rotating.
They can be rotated, Just have to dismount from wheel. I Called him on this on how the cost of doing this you are negated any savings by rotating.

Funny too Since with my ZL1 I have 11,500 miles on my tires. And boy do I like to get on it..lol All those burn outs at the drag strip too
Old 11-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #73
Vroom

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
So let me get this straight...All I have to do is get a 1LE and upgrade the power, brakes, suspension, tires, and it can keep up with the ZL1? Really? No kidding? Here I am being stupid and buying a ZL1 when I could have just done all that instead. Hey, I wonder what would happen if you put 305s, a LS7 and carbon ceramic brakes on it...

All cars get heat soak while sitting still. Around the track its been proven to not be an issue for the ZL1, Z28 and even 1LE. Its BS argument not backed up by facts usually uttered by jealous ford drivers while their beloved GT500 fades lap after lap.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:18 PM   #74
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Drives: 2015 SS 6M
To add a little (more) exposition to this debate.

Z/28 = Bruce Lee
Both have started from humble beginnings to ultimately defy the traditional definition of the state of their art and achieve National Hero status in their home country. Their legacies will be lauded for years to come. Books have and will be written about the mark they've left on the world.

1LE = Jackie Chan
Neither has earned the title of Master of their sport but both are acclaimed as very skilled and wildly entertaining. Both are especially suited for stunt work and excel at skillful use of scrap parts to put up a fun and impressive display of competence, agility and just plain "WHAT THE SHIT!!!...shock.

ZL1=Chuck Norris
Both were pitted as the nemesis to the de facto champions of their class in entertainment media and took the scripted fall for the glory of the champion. Both have had their fair share of losses but have earned much respect for their toughness, competence and all-round awesomeness. Both have achieved master status in multiple disciplines and demonstrate that Americans are formidable adversaries in arts where Americans have not traditionally been respected as such.

Last edited by silverds; 11-03-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:29 AM   #75
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
It still boggles my mind with the ZL1 disrespect by other Camaro owners. Yes if you add better brakes, more power etc. etc. etc your 1LE will catch my ZL1 on the track but what happens when I add a CAI or heaven forbid different pullies to my LSA or headers or a tune or whatever. As much as I love my ZL1 I do not have any grand illusions of stomping a Z/28 at the track even though the ZL1 is a better fit for me.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what stats anyone pulls from any magazine article because 99% of us are not able to drive these cars near their limits, so put Randy P. in just about anything and he will stomp my ZL1 a$$ into the pavement because tracking is more about the driver then the car.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Old 11-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #76
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus

Drives: White ZL1, Chevroyota Prizolla
Page 1 of thread: Mostly people comparing cars for the OP's benefit.

Page 2+ of thread: Mostly an Internet pissing match between people who own the SAME CAR.

I clicked the link to Camaro5 and ended up on VWVortex? Dafuq?
Old 11-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #77
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Why do so many people believe that the only reason to go to the track is to be faster than the next guy? Who cares that the 1LE is slower around a road course than the ZL1? If I wanted to compare lap times I'd be racing, not doing track days.

I track to improve my own skills. I care nothing about making my car faster, I care a ton about making me faster. Yes, you can a have a car that is too slow. If you don't have enough power to change slip angles with the throttle, you are missing out on an important skill. But it is easy to have too much power as well. Look at the GT500, more power than chassis is never a good thing. My old CBR929 was a step back when I started to track it. The next braking zone came up so quickly that I never had time to mentally rest. That bike would exhaust me, both physically and mentally (and I was in very good physical shape then), before the day was done. I vividly remember how elevated my heart-beat would be at the END of each session. I spent more time thinking about how absurd the acceleration was, than I did about setting myself up for the next corner. 426HP is already more than enough for me. My first track car, my 325 coupe, weighed in on the scales at just over 3400lbs without me in it, and it had a factory rated 190HP - and that car was, to me, quite quick. It needed a limited-slip diff something fierce, but power was great.

The ZL1 would definitely be more fun than the 1LE on the street, but the 1LEs advantages on the track (square tire setup, natural aspiration, gear-spacing, turn-in, balance) outweigh the extra oomph on the street as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #78
JackalopeZL1

Hey pot calling kettle black.. you personally keep the fire burning in the debate. In one sentence you say who cares. The next you make a book how you think your right.. Go away and and no one will care or argue your biased thoughts.

Any way you cut it it is a faster car.. live with it or prove it not give opinions
Old 11-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #79
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
It still boggles my mind with the ZL1 disrespect by other Camaro owners. Yes if you add better brakes, more power etc. etc. etc your 1LE will catch my ZL1 on the track but what happens when I add a CAI or heaven forbid different pullies to my LSA or headers or a tune or whatever. As much as I love my ZL1 I do not have any grand illusions of stomping a Z/28 at the track even though the ZL1 is a better fit for me.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what stats anyone pulls from any magazine article because 99% of us are not able to drive these cars near their limits, so put Randy P. in just about anything and he will stomp my ZL1 a$$ into the pavement because tracking is more about the driver then the car.
I don't think the disrespect is one sided. ZL1 owners threatened by Z/28 owners and disrespecting the Z/28, now ZL1 owners threatened by 1LE owners suggesting someone might pick the 1LE over the ZL1. Before that it was V8s vs V6s and SS disrespect toward the ZL1. Automatics vs. manuals, Ford vs. Chevy, etc. It all comes down to self esteem issues perhaps.

No two people are alike and there will never be a definitive answer to any of these questions. People like to tell others how to spend their money, people don't like to be told they have spent their money on something that isn't automatically considered awesome by everyone.

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
Old 11-04-2014, 09:05 AM   #80
tnspd

Drives: 18 Camaro ZL1 1LE (WILSON)
Just so everyone knows.............I can get a 72 Vega and with enough time and money my Vega will stomp your ZL1's butt. So there!
Old 11-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #81
JackalopeZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnspd View Post
Just so everyone knows.............I can get a 72 Vega and with enough time and money my Vega will stomp your ZL1's butt. So there!
Just wait till I hop up my bug
Old 11-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #82
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackalopeZL1 View Post
Hey pot calling kettle black.. you personally keep the fire burning in the debate. In one sentence you say who cares. The next you make a book how you think your right.. Go away and and no one will care or argue your biased thoughts.

Any way you cut it it is a faster car.. live with it or prove it not give opinions
You believe the ZL1 is an all-around better car, for everyone, than the 1LE. I believe that the 1LE is the better car for me and I explained why. No matter what, I am right since I'm explaining why I prefer it for myself. I'm the one with biased thoughts?

And once again, you mention that the ZL1 is the faster car. Why is that automatically a good thing? Faster is not always better. Faster than a Kia Rio is almost always better. Faster than a Toyota Prius is almost always better. Once you reach 1LE levels of speed on a track, faster is NOT always better. I've made the same point since the very beginning. I bought a 1LE because it was the best car for my needs. The ZL1 was never even a thought, still isn't, never will be as long as it's force-fed. Put the LS7 in the ZL1, give me 305 G2s in all four corners, and I will have to re-evaluate.

And opinions are what make the world go round. Almost everything about cars is subjective. If all we cared about was lap times, we'd all be driving Radicals.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #83
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem View Post
Let's see what time that ZL1 is running on the 3rd, 4th, 5th lap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem View Post
ZL1 guys like to ignore heat soak but it happens no matter how many times you quote a magazine article.
As I mentioned earlier, I added an aftermarket heat exchanger and the D3 reservoir and heat soak is a non issue for me, and I have a 2.55 upper pulley making 11.8 lbs of boost vs the stock ~9 psi. Sure my IAT2 temps get around 155 in the straights but within 2-3 seconds of coming of the straights I was at a steady 125 for the remainder of the track. Unfortunately this is the first time I've been able to monitor IAT2 temps at the track, so I cannot comment on prior temps.

However, I did not originally buy my ZL1 to track it. I got into HPD Events after I got my ZL1, had it been the other way around I would strongly consider the 1LE instead. I agree that it is more balanced and definitely has a weight advantage. I am very eager to see what the 6th gen Camaro has to offer in the way of a track capable car.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:06 AM   #84
tnspd

Drives: 18 Camaro ZL1 1LE (WILSON)
Go Vega!!!!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Closed Thread