Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #15
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post
It's news to me that the ZL1 verts perform the same as the coupes. Everything I have seen reports that they are a few tenths slower to 60 and even more in the 1/4.

The 427 Vette is basically the Z06 convertible. While it's a beast, it still slower than the Z06 coupe.

I love verts, but you cannot beat the laws of physics. Same car and same horsepower means the coupe wins.
I also never mention a ZO6 The ZO6 and the 427 are 2 completely different cars,and built for 2 different purposes..The ZO6 has a different body than any other vett. I mention the 427 vert and the ZL1 vert because GM mention as did i that they were both built from the ground up to be vert's .And only because they were both GM product's YOU WERE THE ONE THAT STARTED THE COMPARISON ...Anyway doesnt matter it went beyond your understanding from the get go about what it was about.....thank you anyway for you input....
Old 02-18-2014, 04:50 AM   #16
gen=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
I think it is a general safety rule because the GT500 vert has the same speed limit.
Its funny how so many people think of something or make a statement and others follow it,i thought the same thing as this post and sure enough the BMW6vert is limited to 155mph also,but I found a bunch of cars that are not factory limited and legal in the states...here is one such beast it weighs a full 1000lbs more than the ZL1 vert yet has less than 40hp more . AT 5500lbs and 616 hp..its drag limited to a top speed of 202mph and yes every body its a soft top vert..
2014 Bentley Continental GT Speed Convertible....go look it up...since this has turned into what a vert can or can not do''

http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-ga...t-drive-review

my post was not meant to be about what ZL1 vert can or can not do,but if the extra parts could be helpful in traction and cornering only for the coupe WHEN EXTRA POWER ONLY HAS BEEN ADDED TO IT.....
Old 02-18-2014, 04:54 AM   #17
gen=5

The worlds fastest production vert and legal everywhere in the states..so the 155mph is not a law for verts although it seems that some brands on some of their cars are limited to 155mph...maybe it's so they can sell that model in every country their brand is in ?

the worlds fastest production vert....the newest model is said to be able to go 285mph....

2013 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Vitesse Although it ran 254mph top up ,there is a key that allows it to run 233mph with the top down,but i also read that the computer know's when the top is off so it uses the cars body to change the air going over it...

http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-10863_7-10016872.html
Old 02-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #18
Andy@Livernois

Drives: 1987 Buick Regal Turbo-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen=5 View Post
How having the extra parts weight or not can make a car faster,as all of 9sec ZL1 packages built by Livernois have changed out chassis and or suspension parts because of the power increase..
Actually, our white shop car the went 9's in 2012 had 100% stock suspension on it. Just for clarification.
Andy@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #19
snapp32e

Drives: '81-Z28/'07-Tundra/'12-ZL1/'13-Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
There is a reason the vert is limited to 155. Those reinforcements are to help make up for the structure lost from the Coupe. The Coupe is limited at 184, so there is almost a 30 mph difference. I doubt the added weight of additional reinforcement to the Coupe would bring much change in top end.

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
So is the couple actually limited to 184mph or is it just reaching it's drag limitation? As far as I've heard there was no governing limit to top end except the power to drag limits.
ZL1 #612
snapp32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:12 AM   #20
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
The coupe is not limited.
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #21
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
I don't think I have seen a definitive answer to this, some say the limit is in the ecm and can be removed with a tune others say it is aerodynamics and gearing.

Sent from a large Hammer.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #22
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen=5 View Post
I also never mention a ZO6 The ZO6 and the 427 are 2 completely different cars,and built for 2 different purposes..The ZO6 has a different body than any other vett. I mention the 427 vert and the ZL1 vert because GM mention as did i that they were both built from the ground up to be vert's .And only because they were both GM product's YOU WERE THE ONE THAT STARTED THE COMPARISON ...Anyway doesnt matter it went beyond your understanding from the get go about what it was about.....thank you anyway for you input....
The original post was hard to follow, as it bounced all over the place. I have no problem understanding grammatically correct, lucidly written text. Your text rambled on and made incorrect points. Since I already have one master's degree, and am very close to finishing my second masters at Johns Hopkins (at night), I'll tell my professors that they need to help me on my reading comprehension, perhaps offering me a remedial course. :-)

1. "verts suck,or how they can not keep up with the same model of coupe's made with the same brand..That may be true with some cars,but not with GM's 427 vert or when it comes to the ZL1 vert since it was built from the ground up to run the same times as the coupe,and handle as close to it a possiable"

In English, this roughly translates to you arguing that the ZL1 vert runs the same as the ZL1 coupe. It also says this isn't the case with the 427 Vette. So you are comparing the 427 to the regular Corvette coupe? You need to compare apples to apples. The 427 IS a Z06 convertible with a different name. That is the correct analogy. In this case, the 427 is still not the performer that the Z06 coupe is. Obviously a vert with the 427's power will beat a coupe (base coupe) with a large hp/torque deficit.

I am not pissing on the vert, as I like verts. I had an E46 M3 vert and loved it. That said, I had to accept the fact that it was not as good of a performer as the coupe was. That was fine with me because the vert was so much more beautiful. This is the case with most vert guys. They make a compromise for the looks and feeling of a vert.

2. "But it got me to thinking about all of the extra parts and design that went into the ZL1 vert to make it as good as a coupe"

Again it translates to the vert is as good as the coupe!

3. "how much better would the coupe handle,and faster possiablly on the 1/4 mile if it was already reinforced with the vert parts from the factory"

This makes no sense at all. If the coupe had the vert's reinforcements it would be much heavier. Without increasing the HP/Torque, how does this equate to faster?

4. I understand you were asking another question at the end of your post, but if your question was based on the above statements being true, it is devoid of logic.

Perhaps you should re-read your texts before posting. This way, they will correctly convey what you are trying to say.

Good luck with the sale. I've followed your story and hope you get a great price! Good luck with your new place too. It sounds great.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #23
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
In my opinion, GM went through some very intense developmental designing and testing phases with the ZL1, and if they thought the performance was better on the couple with all the chassis mods done on a convertible, they would have incorporated those changes on the coupe as well.
Why wouldn't they?

I'm sure they are there to add stiffness to the Vert, because of the missing top structure, but I'm not sure just how much stiffness it would add to the coupe. Plus the fact that it adds weight and also eliminates the front belly pan makes me believe that it would not improve the performance, just the opposite.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #24
Highland Ranger

Drives: 2014 CRT Convertible ZL1
Wonder if in addition to the top issue if the lack of a belly pan has something to do with lower top speed for vert

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Highland Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:20 PM   #25
gen=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@Livernois View Post
Actually, our white shop car the went 9's in 2012 had 100% stock suspension on it. Just for clarification.
I saw the pictures one one of those cars you posted,and it had the rear drag links install .rear control arms....plus during our conversion and after the estimate you sent me,I was told it was a good idea to have done vert or coupe..helps with traction...your had also changed out the rear shocks....
Old 02-18-2014, 10:05 PM   #26
gen=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Ranger View Post
Wonder if in addition to the top issue if the lack of a belly pan has something to do with lower top speed for vert

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
It might of been,but they could of made a belly pan to fit it.....maybe it's like the vett vs the ZL1 they wanted one of the cars to be the top dog,and speed king,because it would not be that hard for GM to help the vert with some extra down force,while reducing drag to increase the top speed...
It's also the reason that GM wont build a Camaro that has more HP than the ZL1...
Old 02-18-2014, 11:11 PM   #27
gen=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post
The original post was hard to follow, as it bounced all over the place. I have no problem understanding grammatically correct, lucidly written text. Your text rambled on and made incorrect points. Since I already have one master's degree, and am very close to finishing my second masters at Johns Hopkins (at night), I'll tell my professors that they need to help me on my reading comprehension, perhaps offering me a remedial course. :-)

1. "verts suck,or how they can not keep up with the same model of coupe's made with the same brand..That may be true with some cars,but not with GM's 427 vert or when it comes to the ZL1 vert since it was built from the ground up to run the same times as the coupe,and handle as close to it a possiable"

In English, this roughly translates to you arguing that the ZL1 vert runs the same as the ZL1 coupe. It also says this isn't the case with the 427 Vette. So you are comparing the 427 to the regular Corvette coupe? You need to compare apples to apples. The 427 IS a Z06 convertible with a different name. That is the correct analogy. In this case, the 427 is still not the performer that the Z06 coupe is. Obviously a vert with the 427's power will beat a coupe (base coupe) with a large hp/torque deficit.

I am not pissing on the vert, as I like verts. I had an E46 M3 vert and loved it. That said, I had to accept the fact that it was not as good of a performer as the coupe was. That was fine with me because the vert was so much more beautiful. This is the case with most vert guys. They make a compromise for the looks and feeling of a vert.

2. "But it got me to thinking about all of the extra parts and design that went into the ZL1 vert to make it as good as a coupe"

Again it translates to the vert is as good as the coupe!

3. "how much better would the coupe handle,and faster possiablly on the 1/4 mile if it was already reinforced with the vert parts from the factory"

This makes no sense at all. If the coupe had the vert's reinforcements it would be much heavier. Without increasing the HP/Torque, how does this equate to faster?

4. I understand you were asking another question at the end of your post, but if your question was based on the above statements being true, it is devoid of logic.

Perhaps you should re-read your texts before posting. This way, they will correctly convey what you are trying to say.

Good luck with the sale. I've followed your story and hope you get a great price! Good luck with your new place too. It sounds great.
OK BIG BOY YOU WIN YOUR %%#^ IS BIGGER THAN MINE ....I was going to ask which location,but your sig already answered it..great school..but you could also be a doctor....... But I dont understand why you felt the need to unzip yourself..I am happy your getting a great education,but that has nothing to do with the thread,so once again you have twisted it to another subject ,of who's bigger....Well my wheelchair slows down when i add weight ,unless i move the weight around while i go around a corner...so like i said i already explain it...

I could give you a complete list of things i had done since i earned my masters degree as well, I was a teacher at UT..electronics ,raced since 1974 at age 8 traveling to s america, to go into the carting world, then off to England, then back to the states,even during school i raced on the dirt in AZ,at Age 15,then i moved to monterey,went to monterey high and started racing at you guess it, Laguna seca,as soon as i could in the 80's long before it became mazda raceway..I even had a car built by herb adams and I raced it out of his shop.....good old days !!! So I know just a little bit about cars..Wait was that before or after school, I am so hard to follow Sorry...
anyway I could go on but what is the point, NO one cares about what you or i have done unless it has anything to do with a ZL1....

Thank you for your input,and opinion again its been fun but...YOU CAN WIN ,
I am trying not to mean or show any disrespect just following your lead..Have a great YR at school, and i hope when you get out you put your degree's to good use...

Last edited by gen=5; 02-18-2014 at 11:34 PM.
gen=5 is offline   Reply With Quote