Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
Joey8

Drives: 2008 Trailblazer SS
Best way to Launch

Okay, so say im at a stop light, some dude pulls besides me and wants to race. Whats the best way to launch the car. Put it in in specific ptm mode and use the launch control feature (ie clutch in 1st gear mash throttle hold stead rpm release clutch and be on your way) or just keep tc/sc on and hold a specific rpm yourself and count on your own skill to launch. what do you guys find the best way to launch. Also as a daily driver do you drive around in a ptm mode? thanks for your help
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
quickly

Sorta kidding but for real. Fast VS quick....quick will win if you're talking launching.

60' times are everything on the drag strip. 60' time sucks....the pass is

So many factors to consider so it's sometimes frustrating to get the right set up for each day....and even each pass. Once you're close it's practice practice practice!

Oh, DON'T GIVE A SH*T about your reaction times until you're launching very consistantly. Too many people are so concerned with RT's that they don't know what RPM they launched at or where they shifted out of 1st or concentrating on proper gas pedal and/or clutch manipulation.

They are called test-n-tunes for a reason
Old 10-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
gm_joe

Drives: 2002 Pontiac GP 40th GTP, 2012 ZL-1
Just don't race, and you will always win.
gm_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
Joey8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
quickly

Sorta kidding but for real. Fast VS quick....quick will win if you're talking launching.

60' times are everything on the drag strip. 60' time sucks....the pass is

So many factors to consider so it's sometimes frustrating to get the right set up for each day....and even each pass. Once you're close it's practice practice practice!

Oh, DON'T GIVE A SH*T about your reaction times until you're launching very consistantly. Too many people are so concerned with RT's that they don't know what RPM they launched at or where they shifted out of 1st or concentrating on proper gas pedal and/or clutch manipulation.

They are called test-n-tunes for a reason
I dont think i was clear lol i mean at a stop light on the road lol no at a strip i wont be doing much drag racing.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
Cevin

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey8 View Post
I dont think i was clear lol i mean at a stop light on the road lol no at a strip i wont be doing much drag racing.
Learn how to smile while saying "Yes, Officer" at the same time.
Cevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
Joey8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevin View Post
Learn how to smile while saying "Yes, Officer" at the same time.
Well, dueto the fact that my cousin is a cop in my town I rarely get tickets if at all. That being said im not talking about going 150 in a 45. So does anyone have any other useful tips.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Posts/Threads concerning street racing aren't allowed on Camaro5 as far as I know, so don't expect much more advice than 'just don't race on the street'.

Take it to the track where it's legal and safe.

Only young kids and idiots race on the street. Something you learn when you get to be an old fart like me.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
Drm2Reality

Drives: Possibly a 1LE in the near future.
Amazing this guy just can't get an answer from one of the ZL1 owners!

There is nothing wrong with using launch control on the street as long as he obeys the speed limit. Geez!
Drm2Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm2Reality View Post

There is nothing wrong with using launch control on the street as long as he obeys the speed limit. Geez!
Well, give him an answer professor. You have a 2014 ZL1. :(

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
Joey8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm2Reality View Post

Thank you. I just want an answer on the best way to launch on the street at a red light. Ptm mode? Or no Ptm mode. What rpm does the zl1 like to launch in so there's not to much wheel spin or bog. Thanks
Old 10-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
OP, a guy on here who ran a 12.0 quarter at the TRACK said he took it to 2,300 rpm with all the nannies off and let the clutch go from there.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
And what are the odds if he 'launches' it while racing someone either one will stop before they hit the posted speed limit?

Even if they don't exceed the speed limit there are several traffic violations that could be guilty of including reckless driveing?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
Joey8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
OP, a guy on here who ran a 12.0 quarter at the TRACK said he took it to 2,300 rpm with all the nannies off and let the clutch go from there.
Thank you. I'll try it out. Once the car gets here
Old 10-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #14
Drm2Reality

Drives: Possibly a 1LE in the near future.
Yes. I am still laughing. I drive my 2014 ZL1 everyday in my sweet dreams.

I will definitely be getting a '14 model year zl1 and this site has provided me with a lot of useful information which has been great.

BUT, this site also contains a bunch of useless bickering regarding the most dumb and senseless subjects.

There are smart people who make wise choices and there are dumb people who make stupid choices. I for one, am not going to tell another which choice to make.

There is no harm in providing the information. What that person does with it is his choice.

With that said...no I would not advise anyone to race on the street. That would be a dumb choice. But there is nothing wrong with providing someone with your first hand insight on how to better operate your car.

...I have never used the launch control on the street nor would I advise this, but on the strip I do this...
Drm2Reality is offline   Reply With Quote