Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Caryle Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2017, 11:47 PM   #1
RealQuick
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 - Intake/Exhaust
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bridgewater
Posts: 414
Putting LS3 camaro shortblock in 2004 GTO

So I had a rod bearing go on my gto's ls1. Here are my thoughts... pull the LS3 shortblock from my camaro Angie put the gto top end on it (cam, ported 243's, fast intake. If I do this, what are some potential issues that may come up?

First one is the 58x reluctor wheel. I believe ligenfeltee sells a converter box for this.

Any other watchouts?
RealQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:51 AM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder
 
christianchevell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,518
You would dismember your Camaro to put it in goat may god curse you..... Oh and then theres the heads are not compatible and flow much less, you want to fast intake it for the old engine /heads and you should talk to a engine machinist or find some other used short block if your into frankensteining......ones cathedral ones rectangular etc......the best ls1 head is crappola compared to stock ls3........ and you want to use your old goat cam too..... LIPSTICK ON PIG RAPING A BETTER VEHICLE SO>>>>YOU MUST HAVE SOME ATTACHMENT TO THE MODS YOU DID TO THE GOAT>>>> ADVICE....LEAVE THE CAMRO ALONE ITS NOT WORTH IT UNLESS YOUR PUTTING A NEW ENGINE N THE CAMARO>.......AND THEN STILL MAYBE NOT WORTH IT.

Look at various builds of aftermarket strokers ...you see any that use ls1 heads on a ls3?
__________________
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, NPP, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Mast windage, Cam Motion Cam, trunnion upgrade, Stainless Power headers HFC, CAI w/kit, Vmax PTD, Fluidampr25% udp, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels,Toyo Proxes 4+, elite catch can, clutch reservoir, dash/body LED, DRL rewire, Sparks billet badges, Forza 3way, tint, MRT louvers, ZL1 spoiler, MGW short throw, Monster dual LT1S clutch, bleeder, support, high vol pump, Speed hut shift light, ACC flames stripes, Driven ls30 oil, NGK TR6IX , Granatelli wires.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
RealQuick
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 - Intake/Exhaust
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bridgewater
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
You would dismember your Camaro to put it in goat may god curse you..... Oh and then theres the heads are not compatible and flow much less, you want to fast intake it for the old engine /heads and you should talk to a engine machinist or find some other used short block if your into frankensteining......ones cathedral ones rectangular etc......the best ls1 head is crappola compared to stock ls3........ and you want to use your old goat cam too..... LIPSTICK ON PIG RAPING A BETTER VEHICLE SO>>>>YOU MUST HAVE SOME ATTACHMENT TO THE MODS YOU DID TO THE GOAT>>>> ADVICE....LEAVE THE CAMRO ALONE ITS NOT WORTH IT UNLESS YOUR PUTTING A NEW ENGINE N THE CAMARO>.......AND THEN STILL MAYBE NOT WORTH IT.

Look at various builds of aftermarket strokers ...you see any that use ls1 heads on a ls3?
Instead of putting a new shortblock in the goat, I'd rather put a new Forged shortblock in the camaro, and throw the stock camaro one into the goat.

My LS3 top end will move to the camaro new forged shortblock.

I will be transferring all the cathedral port stuff over to the LS3 shortblock (fully ported LS6 heads, Fast intake, and 224/230 cam since I don't want to rebuy a top end.

So now that the history lesson is done, what are some of small things I need to consider?
RealQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:37 AM   #4
RealQuick
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 - Intake/Exhaust
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bridgewater
Posts: 414
And to answer your question, there have been quite s few builds online, but one get into the details. Here is one example though:

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...y-ls3-stroker/
RealQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:36 AM   #5
62nalide


 
62nalide's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW
Posts: 3,675
It can be done but different reluctor wheel in a 2004
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
RealQuick
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 - Intake/Exhaust
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bridgewater
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
It can be done but different reluctor wheel in a 2004
Yeah, and LPE makes the converter box (58x engine outputs to 24x for older vehicles).
RealQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:51 AM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder
 
christianchevell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,518
A good new forged short block will cost you; you might as well stroke it...I got my short block for 5k from sag performance/ custom engine supply ...ebay online, considered many places....and frankly I would keep the smaller cathedral port stuff for a smaller 5.7... Long a go I did a search of Junkyard ls builds I recommend you do the same they tell a lot of the what goes with what..... Good Luck. Then there are other things always to consider....water pump, power steering, a/c etc hookups etc... You should go to a gto forum...
__________________
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, NPP, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Mast windage, Cam Motion Cam, trunnion upgrade, Stainless Power headers HFC, CAI w/kit, Vmax PTD, Fluidampr25% udp, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels,Toyo Proxes 4+, elite catch can, clutch reservoir, dash/body LED, DRL rewire, Sparks billet badges, Forza 3way, tint, MRT louvers, ZL1 spoiler, MGW short throw, Monster dual LT1S clutch, bleeder, support, high vol pump, Speed hut shift light, ACC flames stripes, Driven ls30 oil, NGK TR6IX , Granatelli wires.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #8
RealQuick
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 - Intake/Exhaust
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bridgewater
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
A good new forged short block will cost you; you might as well stroke it...I got my short block for 5k from sag performance/ custom engine supply ...ebay online, considered many places....and frankly I would keep the smaller cathedral port stuff for a smaller 5.7... Long a go I did a search of Junkyard ls builds I recommend you do the same they tell a lot of the what goes with what..... Good Luck. Then there are other things always to consider....water pump, power steering, a/c etc hookups etc... You should go to a gto forum...
The thought was just move the stock LS3 shortblock over. I will reinstall the GTO heads/intake and accessories.

Depending on the budget, the new shortblock for the camaro will be a 416ci.
RealQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #9
Russell James


 
Russell James's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaros
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Straightening out the kink at Gingerman
Posts: 4,117
I replaced an LS1 with an LS3 in a stock car, an old ASA car. The biggest diffs were the 58x...used the lingenfelter module... the injector connectors are different... and the throttle body. I'm using an LS1 ECM, throttle cable/edelbrock TB, and the 58x conversion module.

If you're swapping over your intake stuff, really shouldn't be much other than the 58x module.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #10
RealQuick
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 - Intake/Exhaust
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bridgewater
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I replaced an LS1 with an LS3 in a stock car, an old ASA car. The biggest diffs were the 58x...used the lingenfelter module... the injector connectors are different... and the throttle body. I'm using an LS1 ECM, throttle cable/edelbrock TB, and the 58x conversion module.

If you're swapping over your intake stuff, really shouldn't be much other than the 58x module.
Russell, thanks for the input. I assume I have to use a LS3 cam with the 4X timing gear (vs a LS1 cam with the 1X gear)?
RealQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:39 PM   #11
Russell James


 
Russell James's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaros
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Straightening out the kink at Gingerman
Posts: 4,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealQuick View Post
Russell, thanks for the input. I assume I have to use a LS3 cam with the 4X timing gear (vs a LS1 cam with the 1X gear)?
Yes, from the best of my memory...if using the 58x wheel, Lingenfelter box, then you would also use the 4x timing gear. And I prefer using the LS2 style chain dampener and an C5R chain.

If you run into connector issues, LS1Tech is a great website for tech questions. There may be little things like knock sensor harness that you have to work out. I would join that website, and if you get stuck, post the question. There are some really sharp LS techs on there that I lean on often.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.