Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-03-2009, 11:06 AM   #15
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I can't view that link, so if this is a duplicate, I'm sorry to everyone.

But when I enlarge this image, in that area, I agree that radiator seems to be hugging that tie bar pretty close. Also, where in the Heck would we stick a filter? Ugh - this is looking more hopeless. I think we're going to have to wait for a hood to come out or stick with the typical CAIs out there.
Attached Images

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:06 AM   #16
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
Maybe you could go around the latch somehow...would still require modifications to chassis though.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #17
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2Many View Post
Maybe you could go around the latch somehow...would still require modifications to chassis though.
Radiator is in the way. You can't go over it without lowering it first but then you have physics against you plus there is a chance of it bottoming out and damaging it. You could try going around it but then again 2 90' angles and 1 180' angle will kill all advantage that ram air gives. You would have to get a smaller radiator any way you do it but then again you come to the question will it provided enough cooling for the engine.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #18
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
I am definitely trying to figure out a way to do a ram air modification. I took a whole bunch of pictures for just that purpose at H.A.S.

There is alittle room above the radiator

Room to go around the hood latch

Again alittle room above the radiator

Yes this is on the V6 but its the same on the V8 there is nothing below the hood latch and between the grill and radiator.

Mail slot is plenty wide to split around the latch

Behind grill
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:13 PM   #19
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Yeah, there's a lot of engineering that needs to go into this

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #20
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
Wasting your time. You couldn't pull in enough air through that slot to feed that engine at high rpms. Not to mention that there is no such thing as ram air...
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #21
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Anyone considered modifying the hood to use it like the old Cowl Induction hoods of the past?
Old 02-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #22
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
So Dan, let me get this straight. You couldn't get enough air through a forward facing wide albeit narrow slot but you can fit enough air through this little bitty foam covered opening behind a headlight?

Something about that just doesn't make sense.
And yes there is technically no such thing as ram air but that is what that style of intake is called.
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #23
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Wasting your time. You couldn't pull in enough air through that slot to feed that engine at high rpms. Not to mention that there is no such thing as ram air...
I have heard that from several people now and I just don't understand what makes people believe that. Anyone ever look at the "ram air" system on a 4th gen, that looks alot more restrictive than the mail slot.

I wouldn't consider the mod a waste of time if it's something you consider important, regardless of the $/hp ratio. To be hounest I wish it came factory but it won't be in my budget to make happen. Who knows, maybe SLP will make a kit that makes it functional without cutting.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #24
SAE05
inconspicuous observer

Drives: 05 GTO
I coulda had a V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post

I envision a dedicated hood similar to the cowl induction hood or even a forward facing scoop. The premise is removing the decorative intake cover, assuming it is decorative, and adding an air filter intake plenum that comes off the throttle body, then turns 180O upward, and back on itself as it widens out sitting atop of the intake, like the decorative cover and attaches in a similar manner.

On top of that, inside, sits the air filter, with the periphery of the opening trimmed in a rubber seal that the hood seals to.
IMHO, anything forward off the TB requiring modification to the core support ect, may not look as well executed.

I am making a cardboard one using my GTO as a guide. Now if GM would provide sample vehicles to some of these aftermarket developers to shorten lead times to production on these parts we could have them shortly after these vehicles come out. Heck if they had the math it would be even quicker. CAD model knocked out in several days and a rapid prototype resin part complete in 2. Life would be good.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #25
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
Since the camaro should be fairly similar to the G8, hopefully, with respect to the hood latch, hood clearance, radiator clearance, TB placement etc, this style of intake the G8's are running should be a viable option...this is the same style intake that has powered a cam only G8 to a 10.87 @ 128mph...here are some pics

And the Vararam prototype for the G8...

Old 02-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #26
69 Hugger

Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I am so going to Eagle Claw you, right now
Your not the only one, Thats twice now.
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #27
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
performance wise, yes, there wont be much of a gain if any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
I have heard that from several people now and I just don't understand what makes people believe that. Anyone ever look at the "ram air" system on a 4th gen, that looks alot more restrictive than the mail slot.
"ram air" is a misnomer, the only real benefit of doing a "ram air" setup is a shorter, more direct flow of air to the intake. as for the 4th gens, it looks more restrictive, but flows well for what it was. the main problem was the restrictive intakes themselves
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #28
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Hugger View Post
Your not the only one, Thats twice now.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote