Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 05-20-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
thom

Drives: '97 Camaro Z28 LT1 5.7L Convertible
Starting problem

I have a '97 Z-28 with a 5.7 engine. It has just under 100,00 miles on it. The car starts fine if it has sat overnight, and starts fine if it's been shut off for just a little while.

The problem occurs when it's sat for like four hours or so - then it acts like its flooded or something, turning over many times before finally catching (it does always start - eventually...).

It always cranks over well (no battery problems).

Thom
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
2011 SS

Drives: 2011 SS M6, LT's, CAI, SLP LM II's.
Any service done recently?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
2011 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
Fishman

Drives: multiple GM's
Pull the vacumm line off of your fuel pressure regulator. If the line has gas in it, the regulator diaphram has ruptured and regulator needs replaced. The gas goes back through the vacumm line to the intake and floods the car. This is the usuall suspect and the first thing to check.
Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
thom

Thanks for the replies.

2011 SS - I just acquired the car very recently. The only service that I've had done is an oil change...

Fishman - So is this something that I should check at the time that I'd normally be having the problem (like after the car has sat for four hours or so)? Or should I check it right after I shut the car off?

Thom
Old 05-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
Fishman

Don't check it hot. Warm is ok. I usually do a cold start, let it run for less than a minute,shut it off and then check it. There should be no sign of gas when you pull the hose off. If there is, the regulator is bad. This is the first thing to check.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
Don't check it hot. Warm is ok. I usually do a cold start, let it run for less than a minute,shut it off and then check it. There should be no sign of gas when you pull the hose off. If there is, the regulator is bad. This is the first thing to check.
Fishman - I checked it as you suggested (cold start, run for less than a minute, shut it off, check it); it was dry as a bone...
Old 05-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
2011 SS

Drives: 2011 SS M6, LT's, CAI, SLP LM II's.
Make sure your opti is still good, check your fuel filter, I know a fuel filter will cause an engine to have problems firing hot and cold but check it to make sure, check your fuel pressure make sure the pump isn't on it's way out, when you start the cae when its cold turn the key one slot forward and let the fuel pump prime itself do this three.times before you actually crank it, and see if it acts up.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
2011 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Does it smoke some after it starts up?
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:51 PM   #9
thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 SS View Post
Make sure your opti is still good, check your fuel filter, I know a fuel filter will cause an engine to have problems firing hot and cold but check it to make sure, check your fuel pressure make sure the pump isn't on it's way out, when you start the cae when its cold turn the key one slot forward and let the fuel pump prime itself do this three.times before you actually crank it, and see if it acts up.
I don't know how to make sure my opti is still good, or how to know if my fuel filter needs replacing or not (I'm good with my hands when I have detailed instructions to follow, but I'm not that experienced with auto repair...). I've located a few message board discussions about checking fuel pressure; I would imagine that I could do that, but I don't currently have a fuel pressure gauge.

I tried what you suggested (turning the key on and off three times before starting). This did seem to help - it didn't start immediately, but it only cranked a few times (maybe five or six) before starting (as opposed to maybe 10-12 other times).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLE58 View Post
Does it smoke some after it starts up?
I haven't noticed any smoke at all.

Thom
Old 05-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
JLE58

I had a 02 ss that started having weird starting problems couldnt find anything wrong and it ended up being the chip in the key. Reason I asked about the smoke was LT1 and ls1 have been known to have leaky injectors At times which would make it act like it's flooding as you said in one post. It will be hard to start but usually you will see some smoke when it starts. If you have a spare key try it and see what it does.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
thom

Quote:
I had a 02 ss that started having weird starting problems couldnt find anything wrong and it ended up being the chip in the key. Reason I asked about the smoke was LT1 and ls1 have been known to have leaky injectors At times which would make it act like it's flooding as you said in one post. It will be hard to start but usually you will see some smoke when it starts. If you have a spare key try it and see what it does.
Tomorrow's one of my days off, so I'll have a chance to check my spare key, and double-check for any smoke when I'm having the problem.

This is a frustrating problem to try to troubleshoot, since I have to warm it up, then shut it off and wait several hours, just to have the starting problem one time, then start all over again...

Thom
Old 05-22-2012, 06:27 AM   #12
Fishman

If you can, leave your hood open for the few hours to see if it's a heat soak issue.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
If you can, leave your hood open for the few hours to see if it's a heat soak issue.
I tried leaving the hood open; I still had the same problem

Quote:
Starting it with a different key didn't help.

I verified that there is no smoke when starting. I didn't have anyone here to watch the tailpipes, so I recorded it. Here's a link to the video on YouTube:

Thom
Old 05-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #14
JLE58

I'd say you have a fuel problem( injector leaking, bad regulator) I would buy a pressure Gauge and start checking.