Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 01-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #15
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON

Drives: 2005 Saab 9-5 2.3T
Send a message via AIM to Camaro Lives On
OK, I'm definately watching the 500 now. Anyone know what channel it will be on this year?
Old 01-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #16
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
^^
Your sig has a broken link
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #17
The Great KJ
The Great KJ

Drives: 09 Challenger R/T & 05 Caravan
Send a message via Yahoo to The Great KJ
I WOULDN'T BE SURPRISED IF ITS NAMED THE INDY 500 PACE CAR FOR THE 5TH TIME, BESIDES THE VETTE THAT IS SOME KIND OF ACHEIVEMENT.

GO #88

HERE IS ANOTHER THOUGHT, CAMARO PACE CAR REPLICAS? THEY'VE DONE SEVERAL IN THE PAST.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #18
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Probably wanting to hold the real one back and have a big unveiling for in the next week at the track...I bet it will have some special graphics. Who said the V6 RS was not going to be the pace car anyway? thats the one GM needs to promote if they want to keep the Camaro long term, besides the SS will sell without much help...
Based on past experience that is highly doubtful. Any time they have used a car thats not a corvette or other V8 powered car, they usually juice it up quite a bit. As well pace cars are almost always the top model available.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #19
christianjax

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Lives On View Post
OK, I'm definately watching the 500 now. Anyone know what channel it will be on this year?
Its always on Fox.
christianjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:43 PM   #20
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
I want to see the saleable version....
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #21
mitchell87

Drives: 2010 Silverado 6.2L
Sorry this is a little of topic but i just need a yes or no answer so it is not worth starting a new thread. Im not a huge nascar buff but was wondering if they are going to use the camaro body for the chevy cars since they no longer make monte carlos?
mitchell87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #22
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Based on past experience that is highly doubtful. Any time they have used a car thats not a corvette or other V8 powered car, they usually juice it up quite a bit. As well pace cars are almost always the top model available.
Well there hasn't ever been a 300 HP V6 before in an American car to do the Pace car duties... There hasn't been any"Juicing" of the Nascar pace cars in a very long time, they are not Indy cars and the pace speeds are never over 70.... they have even used pickup trucks in the past...and for several years before the V8 Monte SS and Impalas they have used the stock V6 models... nothing really special about the equipment on these pace cars.
If I can do 85 at Bristol in my 170HP Sky I think a 300HP V6 Camaro can handle the Pace car duties at Daytona very well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great KJ View Post
HERE IS ANOTHER THOUGHT, CAMARO PACE CAR REPLICAS? THEY'VE DONE SEVERAL IN THE PAST.
Usually Indy Pace cars, Not the Daytona Pace cars...
I can see them using the V6 for Daytona and Using an SS for Indy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchell87 View Post
Sorry this is a little of topic but i just need a yes or no answer so it is not worth starting a new thread. Im not a huge nascar buff but was wondering if they are going to use the camaro body for the chevy cars since they no longer make monte carlos?
no, the Impala in Cup and Monte Carlo still in Nationwide... I think they are looking into going to the Camaro for the Nationwide cars, but I haven't heard anything lately about it...
Old 01-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #23
The Great KJ
The Great KJ

That would be great to see a Camaro running around the track with a #88 on it
Old 01-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #24
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6-speed #1879
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchell87 View Post
GM is using the Impala. The lower series (Nationwide Series), was proposed to use the Challenger, maybe the Camaro and Mustang, but toyota cried and whined 'cus those losers don't have a ponycar to run in said series. Sooooo, Brian France kissed toyota's azz once again and canned the idea, much to the dismay of the domestic automakers and old-school nascar fans alike. Since I was once a nascar fan for over 20 years, I can safely say Brian France and his toyota-loving contingent have screwed up the entire race series, but at least an AMERICAN make is pacing the Daytona 500. Surprised toyota didn't whine about that too. toyota sucks.
Rallysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #25
The Great KJ
The Great KJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Usually Indy Pace cars, Not the Daytona Pace cars...
I can see them using the V6 for Daytona and Using an SS for Indy....
True but I did see a Brickyard Camaro
Old 01-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #26
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Camaro as a pace car.. There is a god.

But ya know, Toyota probably will whine as Rally said. And using the 'leverage' of being the 'worlds largest automaker' may get their way after slamming 20 million cash on Le Douche's desk.

Then we'll get a Camry as the pace and pace laps will no longer be able to exceed 40mph.. And the race no faster than 100MPH to 'save gas'. Now where did that Ice pick go..?
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #27
The Great KJ
The Great KJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallysport View Post
GM is using the Impala. The lower series (Nationwide Series), was proposed to use the Challenger, maybe the Camaro and Mustang, but toyota cried and whined 'cus those losers don't have a ponycar to run in said series. Sooooo, Brian France kissed toyota's azz once again and canned the idea, much to the dismay of the domestic automakers and old-school nascar fans alike. Since I was once a nascar fan for over 20 years, I can safely say Brian France and his toyota-loving contingent have screwed up the entire race series, but at least an AMERICAN make is pacing the Daytona 500. Surprised toyota didn't whine about that too. toyota sucks.
WELL PUT !!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #28
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great KJ View Post
True but I did see a Brickyard Camaro
If I remember correctly those were the ACTUAL cars provided by Chevy to Indy that were dispursed to dealers after the race and sold, there were no actual Brickyard Pace car replicas built and sold. But they did build some Monte Carlo Brickyard pace car replicas for the first 400 in 1994.

actually that is how most pace cars are done in nascar they are just loaner cars that are returned after their use and sold through a dealer...
It is part of the track sponsership deal. which ever manufacturer has the sponsership at that track provides cars and trucks to use during the race weeks and for general track use. later those are returned and sold.
Being the Camaro will not be an actual production car at that time I doubt that It will be sold....It may go on display in the "Daytona Experience"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallysport View Post
I think this is the last year Chevy has the sponsership of the Daytona track, look for Toyota to be a pace car there next year...