Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Botrod

Drives: 2012 Inferno Orange SS Vert
When the Pzeros are done what to get?

I don't have many miles behind the wheel of my SS but contemplating tires in the spring. She is put to bed for the winter since I live in the snowbelt. The Pzeros are still like new but I noticed on some of the rougher roads they are a little loose. Would an all season be a better all around option for the crappy roads? I still want excellent handling as well.

What does everyone suggest?
Botrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
Tmick5jr
Todd

Drives: 2012 Camaro
what do you mean by a little loose?
Tmick5jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
Botrod

Felt like they were skipping a little over bumps. It wasn't terrible but I attributed it the tires. I've never run a performance tire like these before amd it might just be part of the deal.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:09 AM   #4
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
The Pzeros suck at anything unless it's dry and 75 deg outside.. lol
I think you should ask yourself what your needs are and what type of tire you want on the car (high perf, all season, high mileage, etc.)?
I personally went with Continental Extreme Contact DSW tires, they are an Ultra high Performance All Season tire because I needed a tire that I could use in light snow winter conditions/rain and still have good dry performance along with a better mileage rating than just 25k miles. These aren't cheap, but you usually get what you pay for when you buy tires. Other options that people seem to like are the General GMAX AS04, and Nitto Invo tires although I have no experience with either.

Hope this helps..
Harry
Old 11-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
P Zero is a great tire. Use em till its time to replace. Also depends on if your car is daily driven and the climate you live in. The problem with most p zero haters is....a) They dont realize they are summer tires only....so, of course they are going to bitch about poor performance in inclimate weather...and B) They are like many folks who dont have the common sence or refuse to adjust their driving habits in bad weather. Visit the tire web sites and view the ratings/reviews. Then make an educated decision.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
Botrod

I park the car for the winter so really looking for something that performs well in cooler temps amd rain as well as typical summer conditions. I've seen peeps say the Pzeros don't do well below 50 degrees and I will hopefully be driving it in the spring at or near those temps.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botrod View Post
I park the car for the winter so really looking for something that performs well in cooler temps amd rain as well as typical summer conditions. I've seen peeps say the Pzeros don't do well below 50 degrees and I will hopefully be driving it in the spring at or near those temps.
I've driven my RS with the stock Pirellis in 30 degree weather, the ground was dry. I noticed they were a bit rough until they warmed up. I wouldn't try them in snow. I've done the summer only tires in snow when we had a storm a few years back around Halloween. I wasn't sure if I was going to make it home.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #8
camaro1350

Drives: 2013 Camaro RS 1LT, 6M
I agree with HWorth18, I just replaced my Vredestein with Continentails Extreme Contact DSW and yes they were expensive but not the most expensive either. Can't tell you how I like them long term since I just got them a couple weeks ago but so far I like them. I got only 13000 miles from the Vredestein so I don't recommend those.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #9
ModBargains.com

Drives: Widebody 2013 Mustang GT
To be honest a lot will be better than those Pirellis, I absolutely hate them.
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #10
blk13SS

Drives: '13 1SS LS3 '05 Neon SRT-4
I came to the site asking the very same question as OP. Living down here in FL the PZero have been a dream and performed well. Sucks that around 20k miles you already start losing grip. I'm also looking to buy a new set for the rear.
2013 1SS LS3/Cold Air Inductions/VMAX ported tb/TSP 1 7/8 LTs and xpipe/factory NPP axleback/BTR stg 3 cam kit/ZL1 injectors/3.91 gears/MGW sts/DSS carbon fiber driveshaft/DSS 1000hp axles/BMR LCAs & adj. toe rods/DSMLIGHTS E85 dyno tune 454/427 running out fuel. ZL1 fuel pump, McLeod twin disk, and retune coming soon!
blk13SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:49 AM   #11
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by hworth18 View Post
The Pzeros suck at anything unless it's dry and 75 deg outside.. lol
I think you should ask yourself what your needs are and what type of tire you want on the car (high perf, all season, high mileage, etc.)?
I personally went with Continental Extreme Contact DSW tires, they are an Ultra high Performance All Season tire because I needed a tire that I could use in light snow winter conditions/rain and still have good dry performance along with a better mileage rating than just 25k miles. These aren't cheap, but you usually get what you pay for when you buy tires. Other options that people seem to like are the General GMAX AS04, and Nitto Invo tires although I have no experience with either.

Hope this helps..
Harry
+1.. PZeros suck in any weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1350 View Post
I agree with HWorth18, I just replaced my Vredestein with Continentails Extreme Contact DSW and yes they were expensive but not the most expensive either. Can't tell you how I like them long term since I just got them a couple weeks ago but so far I like them. I got only 13000 miles from the Vredestein so I don't recommend those.
I run both. I run the Vredestein in the spring/summer and the DSW's in the fall/winter. I would recommend both. The Vredestein run great on the track, and in rainy weather. The DSW's are pretty awesome in some extreme cold and light snowy/wet conditions.

Should of got more than 13K miles on the Vredesteins. Your roads in yoru area must eat rubber, as they have been great on my car for the past couple of years.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:46 PM   #12
camaro1350

Drives: 2013 Camaro RS 1LT, 6M
Yea, I don't understand it either. It's possible the roads here are harder on tires but not sure. It the only logical answer I've heard so far.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #13
simon.w
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS RS 6M Inferno Orange
I have been running Nitto Invos since I went to 22's ... serious traction issues at my HP/TQ.

Fitted Vredestein Ultrac Sessantra recently ... unbelievable difference!!! They hook up wayyyy better ... and as someone else said on the forum, you can feel when they are about to break loose ... so you can control the power better.

Also a lot smoother and quieter than the Nittos ... doesn't feel like I'm running on rubber bands any more.

Can not recommend them highly enough!!!

I'm definitely going to be fitting Vred's to my wife's MDX too.

simon.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #14
VOLmanTN
Go Vols!

Drives: 2011
Maybe i'm the only one enjoying my p zeros in cold weather. My little v6 lights them up easily now haha.
VOLmanTN is offline   Reply With Quote