Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #29
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Why did Ted stop offering the Maggie upgrade kits?

So your just running forged rods and pistons, correct? What RWHP level are you running at. If I remember correctly, its not all that much considering the amazing 1/4 mile times your putting down. Your car has always been my blueprint for what I would like to do with my L99.
Ted didn't stop. The guy making the spacer just disappeared. I offered my spacer as a template but he didn't want to do it at that time.

My engine has forged pistons and rods with ARP 2000 hardware. Stock heads with Teds cam and valvetrain. Races on 104. Currently it makes 732 rwhp but once I can get traction Ill start to up that a little. At one point Id like to have 800 rwhp. My set up is far from some of the things guys are doing but it has worked for me!!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #30
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLE58 View Post
Never seen or heard of anyone breaking a stock crank.
It was the LSX crank,i wasnt to happy since i bought the crate motor for peace of mind. On a side note a 9-1 motor is a 9-1 motor the block doesnt add any power Also the company that makes the crank and rods for the LSX motors rate them at 750 flywheel,another fact i wasnt to happy with
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #31
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Ted didn't stop. The guy making the spacer just disappeared. I offered my spacer as a template but he didn't want to do it at that time.

My engine has forged pistons and rods with ARP 2000 hardware. Stock heads with Teds cam and valvetrain. Races on 104. Currently it makes 732 rwhp but once I can get traction Ill start to up that a little. At one point Id like to have 800 rwhp. My set up is far from some of the things guys are doing but it has worked for me!!
I have a few spacers if you know of anyone that needs one.
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #32
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Yeah I can also get someone a spacer, just PM me, Hendrix knows their stuff with the Maggie.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #33
KCS

Drives: 2000 Pontiac Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
Isn't there a guy on here with a Maggie blown low compression 416 that's stuck around the 600rwhp number? Isn't a forged crank a bit overkill at any hp number a Maggie is capable of? Not for a moment saying it's a bad choice. Just that I think there are better bang for the buck options out there.
The aftermarket cranks are a pretty good deal compared to what you pay for reusing a stock crank, especially for the blower cars.

The stock crank will be light on the counterweights for a forged rod and piston combo, so it would need heavy metal installed to balance out. Not to mention that they are not keyed for a supercharger, so you would have to pay to either key it in a mill at the machine shop (which is the best way) or have it "pinned", which has it's own problems for sure.

The aftermarket cranks will have the heavy metal installed and are really close to what most forged piston and rod combos will weigh and won't even need any more heavy metal when you have it balanced. They are also already keyed all the way up the snout for the keyed balancers for supercharged cars.

In the end, you have paid almost just as much for a stock crank, and you're still down 40 cubic inches.
KCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #34
VanquisherSS
Hasbin of Stock Bottom HP

Drives: CTS-V Coupe, 04 TT Viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-E View Post
It was the LSX crank,i wasnt to happy since i bought the crate motor for peace of mind. On a side note a 9-1 motor is a 9-1 motor the block doesnt add any power Also the company that makes the crank and rods for the LSX motors rate them at 750 flywheel,another fact i wasnt to happy with
Even the B15 version? At that rate your better of buying a built shortblock from Texas Speed.
VanquisherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #35
2SS45th

Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
Isn't there a guy on here with a Maggie blown low compression 416 that's stuck around the 600rwhp number? Isn't a forged crank a bit overkill at any hp number a Maggie is capable of? Not for a moment saying it's a bad choice. Just that I think there are better bang for the buck options out there.
I'm that guy Forged cranks are cheap compared to the cost of everything else a big build needs, so why risk it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanquisherSS View Post
Even the B15 version? At that rate your better of buying a built shortblock from Texas Speed.
The B15 is a stout motor, much better than the old LSX376-B8. The B15 is made for 15 pounds of boost, so it can take a good deal of punishment. I was going to use one in my car, but I went for displacement instead.

For builders who want to stretch the performance of a turbocharged or supercharged combination, we’ve got just the foundation you need: Chevrolet Performance’s new LSX376-B15, featuring a durable, all forged rotating assembly to handle up to 15 pounds of boost. Chevrolet Performance’s engineers started with the tough LS steel Bowtie standard-deck block, added a forged steel crankshaft, forged rods and forged pistons, then topped off the short-block assembly with high-flow, rectangular-port LSX- LS3 6-bolt aluminum heads for supercharged and turbocharged combinations.

That's from the GMPP catalog this year, the B15 is a completely different motor than what most people think. Most people are still thinking of the B8.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #36
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
So your going to run 1000 Rwhp through a lsxb-15 and not do anything to it? Your going to do this with those rods/ rod bolts?
Just as GM Did on engine Dyno at 15 psi for 24 hrs.I spoke
with them more than once at SEMA (nov 2012) about this engine
and it's rod bolts,pistons,heads,camshaft profile....etc.

They went through many different ring packs on this engine
to ensure it would do as advertised.I have plenty of confidence.

With a warranty!
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #37
VanquisherSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post

The B15 is a stout motor, much better than the old LSX376-B8. The B15 is made for 15 pounds of boost, so it can take a good deal of punishment. I was going to use one in my car, but I went for displacement instead.

For builders who want to stretch the performance of a turbocharged or supercharged combination, we’ve got just the foundation you need: Chevrolet Performance’s new LSX376-B15, featuring a durable, all forged rotating assembly to handle up to 15 pounds of boost. Chevrolet Performance’s engineers started with the tough LS steel Bowtie standard-deck block, added a forged steel crankshaft, forged rods and forged pistons, then topped off the short-block assembly with high-flow, rectangular-port LSX- LS3 6-bolt aluminum heads for supercharged and turbocharged combinations.

That's from the GMPP catalog this year, the B15 is a completely different motor than what most people think. Most people are still thinking of the B8.

Yeah that's what I remember reading and I was like that looks like a stout piece. I'm not chasing down any world records so adding another 100lbs to the nose doesn't concern me much. Looks like it would be perfect for me as 15lbs is about all my blower is gonna make + a bigger shot could be perfect. Can't beat the price either.

What I wonder is how much power I'm going to loose going to this motor with the compression ratio from a stock LS3
Old 06-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #38
2SS45th

Maybe 40hp tops is all you're gonna lose.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #39
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
Just as GM Did on engine Dyno at 15 psi for 24 hrs.I spoke
with them more than once at SEMA (nov 2012) about this engine
and it's rod bolts,pistons,heads,camshaft profile....etc.

They went through many different ring packs on this engine
to ensure it would do as advertised.I have plenty of confidence.

With a warranty!
I'm under the impression they were using the stock style rod bolts which would really make me nervous even more so if you plan on putting any good rpms to the engine but maybe I'm misinformed.

Last edited by JLE58; 06-13-2013 at 02:56 PM.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #40
JLE58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
I'm that guy Forged cranks are cheap compared to the cost of everything else a big build needs, so why risk it?

If your staying under a 1000 with a supercharger I wouldn't spend the money if I wanted to stay stock cubes. If I was going to buy a forged crank I would spend the money on a nice one. I've seen quite a few cheaper ones break but I've never seen a stock one break. A turbo unless you were shooting for crazy numbers or more cubes there really isn't any reason to change it out. Mighty Mouse ran mid and low 8's in his 3800 lb turbo car for years with a Erl block and a stock crank put 20k miles on it also in that time.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #41
VanquisherSS

Quote:
If your staying under a 1000 with a supercharger I wouldn't spend the money if I wanted to stay stock cubes. If I was going to buy a forged crank I would spend the money on a nice one. I've seem quite a few cheaper ones break but I've never seen a stock one break. A turbo unless you were shooting for crazy numbers or more cubes there really isn't any reason to change it out. Mighty Mouse ran mid and low 8's in his 3800 lb turbo car for years with a Erl block and a stock crank out 20k miles on it also in that time.
I mean thats where about I'm thinking I will end. Probably dead on around about a 1000whp. I'm sure I can make it stock cubes and I like the 6 bolt heads that come with it but maybe its more cost effective to put the right components in the LS3.

I was looking at the B15 strongly or buying a shortblock from TSP. I'm up in the air but the stock stuff is taking a beating so far so I'll keep it moving.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #42
JLE58

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanquisherSS View Post
I mean thats where about I'm thinking I will end. Probably dead on around about a 1000whp. I'm sure I can make it stock cubes and I like the 6 bolt heads that come with it but maybe its more cost effective to put the right components in the LS3.

I was looking at the B15 strongly or buying a shortblock from TSP. I'm up in the air but the stock stuff is taking a beating so far so I'll keep it moving.
You will breaking that tr6060 alot with that much power and hooking. You shouldnt need 6 bolt heads for that power doesnt hurt though.