Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #43
wrbear
Banned

Drives: 2010, 2SS, IOM/CGM Stripes, 4/24/10
One thing to consider about the axle back vs the cat back. I installed the cat back system by myself with tools only (I'm no spring chick). I would have to cut the axle backs and possibly take it in to a shop to do that...that's extra money for the total installed price. One should factor the price difference in the total installed price. Some say it's cheaper to do the axle back but by how much? Being able to install the system yourself also gets you a "FREE" torque wrench!!!! and the gratification of a DIY!
wrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #44
southerncarparts

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrbear View Post
One thing to consider about the axle back vs the cat back. I installed the cat back system by myself with tools only (I'm no spring chick). I would have to cut the axle backs and possibly take it in to a shop to do that...that's extra money for the total installed price. One should factor the price difference in the total installed price. Some say it's cheaper to do the axle back but by how much? Being able to install the system yourself also gets you a "FREE" torque wrench!!!! and the gratification of a DIY!
Awesome! Good work! Yeah, that's definitely something to consider, and the actual install for a cat-back isn't that difficult if you have access to the right tools. And, yeah, the feeling of a job well done is fantastic.

Thanks,
Matt
southerncarparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #45
fargomike
The Dude Abides

Drives: Black 2SS M6
Bought my ATAK Catback from Southern Car Parts , great guys to deal with . I had an issue with my system as Borla had 2 left mid pipes in my kit and Southern hooked me right up and we got it done . And the ATAK is awesome .
2010 Black 2SS/LS3/M6 Kooks 1 7/8 Ceramic Coated Headers, Borla ATAK CB , JRE Tune , Halltech Yellow Jacket CAI ,VMax Ported TB, PFADT Coilovers,Forgestar CF5's Textured Gunmetal w/Nitto Invo's 275/315 ,Hurst Billet Plus 2 Shifter AAC P13W Plasma LEDw/DRL Harness ,30% Tinting,
fargomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #46
southerncarparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargomike View Post
Bought my ATAK Catback from Southern Car Parts , great guys to deal with . I had an issue with my system as Borla had 2 left mid pipes in my kit and Southern hooked me right up and we got it done . And the ATAK is awesome .
Glad you like it, and I'm happy we were able to get everything taken care of and handled for you quickly when that issue did arrive. Thanks for the props, and it's always happy to hear about another happy customer. You're right, too, the ATAK is definitely awesome. It quickly became my favorite Camaro exhaust system.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #47
southerncarparts

The Borla Exhaust have been HUGE sellers...Since they are so popular and I get the same questions, I wanted to share some thoughts before you make a decision on which one to go with...

There are several flavors for the Camaro now.....
In the ATAK Series you have the
Camaro ATAK CatBack Exhaust System

Camaro Axleback ATAK Exhaust
Camaro ATAK Catback Exhaust for Camaros with Ground Effects Package
Camaro ATAK Axleback Exhaust for Camaros with Ground Effects Package

Then you have the Borla Camaro Catback Touring System (which does not sound much different than stock. For the person who wants the increased performance with no additional change in exhaust note)

and then in the Borla Sport lineup (which is my favorite)...
Camaro Borla Sport Catback
Camaro Borla Sport Axleback Exhaust

and the only 3" Borla system (OEM system and the other above systems are 2.5")
Borla 3" Camaro Sport Catback Exhaust If you get the 3" system, you will also want to get a new Camaro Billet Tunnel Brace as the 3" system will most likely touch your OEM tunnel Plate and rattle, which will drive you nuts!!!

Some thoughts before purchasing any of them.....

All of the Axle back systems require cutting them OEM system (which i am not a fan of, just in case you ever want to go back to stock). There is also one more "dirty"secret about the Axelbacks which needs to be known....When you install the Axleback it leaves in place the OEM Pre Muffler that is up towards the middle of the car. Not a big deal, but it DOES change the exhaust note slightly as compared to the Catback systems and does not make the L99 system a true dual exhaust as the Catback does.

Both Axle Back and Catback systems are great systems and make a huge improvement in sound, but if you can afford to spring for the extra cash, do it right and get the Catback.

From a sound perspective, you have the touring which sound not much different than stock. Then the Sport (my favorite) which bumps it up a notch from the sound perspective, but not too much. At the ATAK which is the most aggressive sounding of them all.

All of Borla's systems are awesome, but thought prospective shoppers would want to know the down and dirty on each one...

See ya,

Jim
Old 03-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #48
dcarlos55

Drives: 2017 HBM A10 ZL1
I already have the ARH headers and 3" catback that is designed to attach to the stock axleback. I love the Borla S sound and I really want a 3" axleback to connect to what I already have. Can ya hook me up or am I SOL?
Old 03-31-2011, 08:50 AM   #49
southerncarparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarlos55 View Post
I already have the ARH headers and 3" catback that is designed to attach to the stock axleback. I love the Borla S sound and I really want a 3" axleback to connect to what I already have. Can ya hook me up or am I SOL?
ARH to a 3" catback to stock axle-back? Alright, I'll try and help you here.

Catback and Axleback are terms for two different types of exhaust systems. If you have a catback, that goes from the cats all the way back through the muffler and tailpipes. An axle-back is only the mufflers and tail pipes. Thus, the two systems have overlapping components, and you wouldn't connect an axle-back to a catback. What I'll assume you have, with this in mind, is an ARH longtube header set with a 3" mid-pipe (x-pipe, in the case of the ARH system). That X-Pipe, while 3", will bolt up to the stock axle-back system, however, which means that it has a stepped grade at the end up the pipe to make it 2.5", which is the stock axle-back size. In this case, any Borla axle-back exhaust system should bolt up directly to your ARH long-tune set, and any slight issues of variance in length can easily be handled by a muffler shop. That being said, there are a number of axle-back systems available that will work for you, however none of them are 3" systems. Borla only offer the 3" Sport system in a full cat-back exhaust, which would give you true 3" piping all the way back, but which also includes an X-Pipe that would have to replace your current X-Pipe. In doing this, you'd ultimately end up with an extra, unnecessary, mid-pipe component piece, thus you'd be paying more for something you don't ultimately need. I suggest you find an axle-back system, such as the S-Type or ATAK (my personal favorite), that works in sound and tone for you and install that.
Make sense?
Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #50
dcarlos55

Drives: 2017 HBM A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncarparts View Post
ARH to a 3" catback to stock axle-back? Alright, I'll try and help you here.

Catback and Axleback are terms for two different types of exhaust systems. If you have a catback, that goes from the cats all the way back through the muffler and tailpipes. An axle-back is only the mufflers and tail pipes. Thus, the two systems have overlapping components, and you wouldn't connect an axle-back to a catback. What I'll assume you have, with this in mind, is an ARH longtube header set with a 3" mid-pipe (x-pipe, in the case of the ARH system). That X-Pipe, while 3", will bolt up to the stock axle-back system, however, which means that it has a stepped grade at the end up the pipe to make it 2.5", which is the stock axle-back size. In this case, any Borla axle-back exhaust system should bolt up directly to your ARH long-tune set, and any slight issues of variance in length can easily be handled by a muffler shop. That being said, there are a number of axle-back systems available that will work for you, however none of them are 3" systems. Borla only offer the 3" Sport system in a full cat-back exhaust, which would give you true 3" piping all the way back, but which also includes an X-Pipe that would have to replace your current X-Pipe. In doing this, you'd ultimately end up with an extra, unnecessary, mid-pipe component piece, thus you'd be paying more for something you don't ultimately need. I suggest you find an axle-back system, such as the S-Type or ATAK (my personal favorite), that works in sound and tone for you and install that.
Make sense?
Thanks,
Matt
Makes sense. Thank you. Looks like I'll be getting an s type axleback then in 2.5". The atak does sound good but is a bit too loud for me.

One more question. You are right about what I already have. Does the Borla axleback setup include the section of pipe that goes from the step down piece to the mufflers or would I still have to cut that out of the stock exhaust. I really want to keep the stock exhaust in one piece if possible.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #51
southerncarparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarlos55 View Post
Makes sense. Thank you. Looks like I'll be getting an s type axleback then in 2.5". The atak does sound good but is a bit too loud for me.

One more question. You are right about what I already have. Does the Borla axleback setup include the section of pipe that goes from the step down piece to the mufflers or would I still have to cut that out of the stock exhaust. I really want to keep the stock exhaust in one piece if possible.
That step-down should be coming off of your X-Pipe, yeah? I'm not positive, I'd recommend checking with a local shop to get their idea/opinion on that install for you. Ultimately, I don't think you'll need to cut anything from the stock exhaust, as a separate piece can be made or put together easily.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 04-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #52
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncarparts View Post
Then you have the Borla Camaro Catback Touring System (which does not sound much different than stock. For the person who wants the increased performance with no additional change in exhaust note)
Not sure if its also due to my Rotofab CAI, but my Touring system exhaust note sounds way different than stock!!!Much richer and deeper and no raspiness....
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #53
southerncarparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
Not sure if its also due to my Rotofab CAI, but my Touring system exhaust note sounds way different than stock!!!Much richer and deeper and no raspiness....
A CAI will definitely help increase exhaust tone. With exhaust extra flow is the name of the game, ultimately, and that's exactly what a CAI brings to the table. The touring definitely improves the tone, it just doesn't make it much louder, and when compared to the Sport or ATAK doesn't feel like that huge of a jump. It's an awesome exhaust and is perfect for a lot of set-ups (especially those with larger headers back who want to make sure they're not making their car so loud they can't hear themselves think, which can be a real problem with a powerful V8 like the Camaro has).

Glad you like the Touring, it's definitely (because it's Borla) an awesome exhaust system, and can certainly provide some more tone.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 04-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #54
DCC1464
COTW 5/27/13

Drives: '11 S/C SS/RS CGM
ok quick question to make sure i understand this,
i was looking to do a cat-back ATAK system then later on doing the borla headers, now with that will the cat-back mate up to the LT headers or would i be wasting money and should just get the axle-back ?
DCC1464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #55
Nightspore68

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL-1, Victory Red
Thanks for the info. I'll be considering those systems.
I see you're in Marietta. Are you a dealer or installer?
Nightspore68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #56
southerncarparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC1464 View Post
ok quick question to make sure i understand this,
i was looking to do a cat-back ATAK system then later on doing the borla headers, now with that will the cat-back mate up to the LT headers or would i be wasting money and should just get the axle-back ?
Long Tube Headers and a Cat-Back exhaust have an overlapping x-pipe section. Ordering an axle-back will prevent you from having this unnecessary mid-section piece, as will ordering short-tube headers down the line. Either way, you can put together a system that will meet up properly, whether you order Axle-Back or Cat-Back right now. That being said, I do recommend going with the axle-back now and the long-tube headers later, as doing the system set-up in that order just makes the most sense to me.

Thanks,
Matt