Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-03-2010, 06:14 AM   #1
ownmorfeet

Drives: Green
Mustang vs. Camaro question

Ok after reading quite a lot of postings where some of you say the new 2011 Mustang is a better car than the Camaro or has a better engine (V6), I have to ask why do you say that? Both engines are V6s and both produce just about the same horsepower, and both have similar posted MPGs. Given that Im about to purchase my first new car in 5+ yrs., I want to get a good car. Up until reading all these comments, I thought that the Camaro was a great car, and still do. I just wanted to see why some of you are making those comments.
ownmorfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:46 AM   #2
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Almost seems like you are trolling ... I don't recall seeing a lot of post about the Mustang being a better car ... IMO you get a lot more car for your money with the Camaro, that's why I bought two of them ...
Old 06-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
khabboub
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: Sold c7, in the market!
if all you want to do is go to the track and race, the mustang is a really good car. if you want something that is comfortable to cruise in and occasionally race a little, and has more supportive seat the camaro is your best bet. the lastest car and driver magazine did a review on both cars and said that the camaro was just more comfortable. the only reason people would be saying that its better is because it is a LITTLE bit faster.
khabboub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:41 AM   #4
ownmorfeet

Drives: Green
Im with you both, I feel that the Camaro is a better car. But as I stated, I have read posts where people say that specifically the engine is better in the Mustang. I just wanted to see why some people feel this way. I plan on purchasing a Synergy packaged Camaro in the next 2-3 weeks, waiting on one to be delivered to local dealership.
ownmorfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
khabboub
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: Sold c7, in the market!
the engine in the mustang is not better. it hasnt been out long enough to prove that it is even reliable. it is a new engine and a new design, people saying that it is better dont know what they are saying. the engine in the camaro has been out for a long time, and it is used in many cars by GM. the camaro engine was actually designed by the GM subsidiary in Australia, Holden, and it was so popular and reliable that they decided to bring it to some of the amaerican cars, like the cadillac cts and the Camaro.
khabboub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
I would not say the Ford engine is better. The GM V-6 engine is awesome. The Ford is a lighter car and that is why it does what it does.

If GM would take and make a V-8 using V-6 tech that would be a killer motor.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #7
Berean

Drives: Truck
Three words. IRS.
Berean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #8
Viral

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
The V6 in the 2011 mustang is brand new and MUCH improved over the previous offering. It's really the first time in the history of the Mustang that the V6 isn't an embarrassment to own, so it's getting a lot of press. From what I've read, it IS a very good engine. Just 10 years ago, nobody would have dreamed we would be getting 300+ hp and 30MPG from an engine!

That said, the 3.6L engine in the Camaro is also a VERY good engine. The problem for you is, that engine was new several years ago and the magazines and forums are already finished gushing about it, for the most part. In my opinion, the new mustang V6 is FINALLY on par with its Camaro counterpart in the engine department. Not better, not worse. As you pointed out, they each produce about the same HP and Tq, but the Mustang is several hundred pounds lighter, so its V6 has less bulk to move around, making it a bit faster.

Just like khabboub pointed out, if you are dead set on getting a V6 for the sole purposes of tracking it, then the Mustang might be a better fit for you. But if it's going to be your daily driver, most mags agree that the Camaro is more comfortable, and IRS will soak up the bumps and potholes better than the best live axle ever will, so the Camaro will feel more planted when the roads get rough.

Honestly, I think these two cars are VERY evenly matched for 2011. To me, it would simply come down to which you enjoy driving more and which looks best to you (and in this dept, the Camaro hands the mustang its ass, IMO ) Drive them both and buy the one that makes your heart race the most!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #9
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
They are both great cars. Buy the one that appeals to you the most. You have a better warranty with the camaro.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
Scrapppy666

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berean View Post
Three words. IRS.
What does this have to do with taxes?

Pittsburgh Automotive Photography
Black on Black 2SS/RS w/ white stripes Dynomax 3" Bullet Catback, CAI Cold Air Intake
Scrapppy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #11
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
If you want the Camaro to be the better car, you are at the right place. If you want the Mustang to be the better car, go to the Mustang site. You will not get an unbiased opinion on either site. We are Camaro enthusiasts here.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #12
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
I think the misconception is that the V6 Mustang's engine is better because the car is faster. It's not that the engine is more powerful it's that the Mustang weighs less. Both cars are going to be great I'm sure but as stated above the Camaro is more comfortable to drive and well... it looks a ton better .

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:19 AM   #13
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapppy666 View Post
What does this have to do with taxes?
Quote:
The so-called "Cologne" six, produced by Ford of Germany in varying displacements for more than FOUR DECADES (currently it's a single-cam, 4.0-liter), is rough, noisy, and underpowered (210 horses) and probably cheats on its taxes.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz0pnOtazdG

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #14
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berean View Post
Three words. IRS.
Not a selling point for me. That's the one thing I would change about my camaro. Although I'm an old drag racer.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote