Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-16-2014, 01:44 PM   #1
xk49

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT Convertible
BC Coilover Install Help

So, I assemble the BC front coilover exactly as noted in the attached diagram. I slide the coilover up into the strut mount and attach all misc. mounting bolts. I have the front suspension raised with a floor jack which pushes the the coilover assembly "OEM Rubber Top Mount" flush with the strut mount(inner fender). I place the last washer(the one that stops the coilover from falling out) and tighten down the nut but there's quarter inch gap. If I lower the floor jack the coilover settles down seating the upper washer against the top of the fender strut mount, but what the heck would stop the coilover from slapping up and down with that quarter inch gap?

I assembled the coilover exactly the way it is picture in the diagram on the work bench. Is the OEM washer I highlighted supposed to be washer thats in the engine compartment and stops the coilover from falling out? Just for kicks I removed the "OEM Washer"(the one highlighted in the diagram) and slid the coilover up into the fender strut mounting hole and then installed the large washer and the gap was no longer there, but I don't think this is right.

Can anyone tell me if the instructions are wrong or if I'm doing something wrong?
Attached Images

Flowmaster Force II Axle back, Kooks LT's and Highflow Cats, Oracle Side Makers, BC Coilovers, E-Force Supercharger, Rotofab Intake, HexVents, ACS T4 Splitter/Rockers/Wind Deflectors, Aeroforce dual pod, Autometer boost/WB analog gauges, MRR M228 20x10 20x11 Nitto Invo 275/315's, CDC Sport Bar, Tuned by Slowhawk Performance.
xk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
camaro500

Drives: 2017 Jaguar F Type R Tuned 498awhp
Follow the instructions! The diagram is correct! The gap is on all of our cars because it is needed when turning the steering wheel. Start your car turn the steering wheel and check out your strut tops. You will notice what I am talking about. Enjoy your BC coilovers!
camaro500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro500 View Post
Follow the instructions! The diagram is correct! The gap is on all of our cars because it is needed when turning the steering wheel. Start your car turn the steering wheel and check out your strut tops. You will notice what I am talking about. Enjoy your BC coilovers!
xk49,

Agreed ^^^^^^. That gap is normal, even there on a stock car. You did everything correctly. What stops the coilover from coming out is that washer and the weight of the car holding the assembly in place. As long as you don't plan on taking the car airborne you should be OK

Thank you,
Ricardo
Old 10-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
xk49

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT Convertible
Just turned the steering wheel and I see where the top of the coilovers tilt left and right depending on which way you turn the wheel. I didn't notice the gap when I took the stock struts off. Looks I'm good to go other then bringing up the rear a little.
Flowmaster Force II Axle back, Kooks LT's and Highflow Cats, Oracle Side Makers, BC Coilovers, E-Force Supercharger, Rotofab Intake, HexVents, ACS T4 Splitter/Rockers/Wind Deflectors, Aeroforce dual pod, Autometer boost/WB analog gauges, MRR M228 20x10 20x11 Nitto Invo 275/315's, CDC Sport Bar, Tuned by Slowhawk Performance.
xk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xk49 View Post
Just turned the steering wheel and I see where the top of the coilovers tilt left and right depending on which way you turn the wheel. I didn't notice the gap when I took the stock struts off. Looks I'm good to go other then bringing up the rear a little.
xk49,

When the car is in the air that washer sits on the strut tower, so you would not have seen the gap when you took them off. But now that the car is on the ground the gap will show up.

Glad you got everything handled. Install looks good!!

Thank you,
Ricardo