Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Forcer

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Is a V6 worth getting engine/tranny tuned?

I am thinking about getting my camaro tuned, but is it even worth getting a camaro v6 engine tuned?
Im at 29k miles atm, owned for alittle over 2 years, im tempted but wondering how much difference will i notice?
Wont get it tuned untill later this summer, but is it worth it?
Forcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcer View Post
I am thinking about getting my camaro tuned, but is it even worth getting a camaro v6 engine tuned?
Im at 29k miles atm, owned for alittle over 2 years, im tempted but wondering how much difference will i notice?
Wont get it tuned untill later this summer, but is it worth it?
i am not a big fan of tuning a complete stock car. i would at least have a CAI, if i was going to tune.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
It doesn't seem to be worth it on a stock car as far as hp is concerned. maybe1-2 hp? Where you can use a tune is with lt's, again dynos have shown 1-2hp only, but one I saw about 5-6? I dont recall the details. But with lts you need it for the cel light and to get the A/F in line. Now if you have a auto trans I understand it really helps on the shift points, firming it up and playing a bit with the VVT.

it may void warranty if dealer works on your car and finds it caused a problem.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
There is only one V6 tuner available, and that is through Trifecta. Tuning a stock car V6 Camaro is not worth it as there is not really any extra performance to be had. Now, if you have multiple mods (intake, headers, exhaust) a tune can certainly optimize your power, but don't expect anything huge. The other good benefit for automatics is a transmission tune which can be customized for your tastes, and setup different for regular drive and sport modes. A few other benefits is that a tune can eliminate a check engine light from headers, calibrate your speedo for gear changes, and more.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
The question is how much performance do you think can be gained vs. giving up your powertrain warranty.

I would even question whether you could tell if all you did was recalibrate the car, and even if you did exhaust and intake, not sure there is a lot there.

Wouldn't do it to a V6 even if performance was the only question, and giving up your warranty for even 20 or 30 HP (all you could possibly hope to gain I would think) on a V6 just wouldn't be worth it. IMO
Old 03-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
Forcer

I have the 36 month, or 36,000 mile warrenty, which will most likly be wearing off this year, hense my question of if i should or not, i have custom exhaust, i havnt put in a CAI in yet, but on my to-do list.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
stray bullitt

Drives: Bentley Continental GT.
Please don't hate me, I am a V6 owner myself, but if you're looking for more power, wouldn't it be easier to go out and chop your car in for an SS.
stray bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
Forcer

I was just curious, if i wanted an ss i woulda bought one, i have my 1970 camaro supercharged when i want to ride in somthing fast, this is my daily driver, i was just curious if it was even worth it.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Depends if your daily driver is something you want to have fun with. My V6 is my Daily Driver, heck, it's my only car at the moment. I tuned it. I tuned it when I only have CAI and a Catback Exhaust.

There are both pros and Cons. The engine tune really finetweaks your changed AFR. Freeing up a bit of your handicapped power. Keep in mind, I don't mean from your engine... it's leasing power from your bolt-ons, okay?

Secondly, you have automatic? The tranny tune is well worth it. I have asked Trifecta to give me firmer shifts on Sport mode and Tapshift Manual. While I have torque management deleted, 30% on S, and 10% on D.

This really does take the cake... the car pulls alot faster now. No more sloppy, heavy off the line speeds. Though, it may shorten the life of the Transmission itself... I've heard GM has developed a pretty beefy automatic tranny system.

You can read more about the tune, and my thoughts here:
http://spadesv6.blogspot.com/2011/03...ne-for-v6.html

It's definately something I DON'T regret =D