Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #43
cbass

Drives: .
I doubt the hill assist in the camaro works different from all the other hill assists out there. I would be very surprised if it still held the brake if you were already moving. There is no way chevy would make you wait 2 seconds. I may be wrong, but I doubt they would blunder like this.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #44
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
A step back in my opinion. I've only had the car three days but I do NOT like this feature. I haven't stalled a manual car on a hill in over 20 years, but I've stalled this one half a dozen times. If anyone can figure out how to turn this feature off I'd love to know.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #45
SonomaJohn

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 6M Convertible
Since someone resurrected this thread I thought I will give a personal update after having the car a month. I have adjusted to the hill start assist (since I can't disable it ) and we are getting along fine. I have finally broken my old habits and now leisurely wait the couple of seconds and take off gracefully from the stop. Sometimes I get in a little bit of a hurry and try to take off early and notice that the engine just bogs down so I wait a little longer and all is well. I haven't had anyone honk at me for my slow starts even though I think some were about to. Basically, if you can't beat them, join them. I can't believe how mellow I have gotten in my old age!
SonomaJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #46
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
I have a 2013 and have been driving clutches on and off for over 35 years. The hill assist on the surface is good but if you are used to low rpm take offs to conserve the clutch this sucks. I knew about the hill assist and still killed it twice in one day. I am still trying to figure my work around kind of like the skip shift (don't shift below 20 mph)
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #47
Jim968

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz4k98 View Post
I am still trying to figure my work around kind of like the skip shift (don't shift below 20 mph)
I have yet to encounter the skip shift in my car. I guess my driving style doesn't lend itself to the skip shift engagement.

It seems like there must be a way to defeat the hill start assist. There must be a sensor that determines when the car is on a grade. All you would have to do is bypass the sensor. It seems like the guys that developed the skip shift eliminator could come up with a solution.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #48
sprtplt

Drives: Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
On page 9-39 in your owner's manual it states:
To turn the system off, press and release the TCS/StabiliTrak button located on the console in front of the shift lever.

However, it does not state whether or not hill assist is involved in this function.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
That helps exactly zero.
sprtplt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #49
sprtplt

Drives: Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaJohn View Post
Since someone resurrected this thread I thought I will give a personal update after having the car a month. I have adjusted to the hill start assist (since I can't disable it ) and we are getting along fine. I have finally broken my old habits and now leisurely wait the couple of seconds and take off gracefully from the stop. Sometimes I get in a little bit of a hurry and try to take off early and notice that the engine just bogs down so I wait a little longer and all is well. I haven't had anyone honk at me for my slow starts even though I think some were about to. Basically, if you can't beat them, join them. I can't believe how mellow I have gotten in my old age!
This just makes no sense whatsoever. the point of "hill assist" should be to stop rolling back if you take your foot off the brake AND ARE NOT DEPRESSING THE ACCELERATOR. Once pressing the accelerator, if it does not release the brake, it just became incredibly lame, and potentially dangerous. Can we not get someone from GM (who knows) to respond to this? Crike, I was about to order a 2013 manual, why must there always be some problem?
sprtplt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #50

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtplt View Post
This just makes no sense whatsoever. the point of "hill assist" should be to stop rolling back if you take your foot off the brake AND ARE NOT DEPRESSING THE ACCELERATOR. Once pressing the accelerator, if it does not release the brake, it just became incredibly lame, and potentially dangerous. Can we not get someone from GM (who knows) to respond to this? Crike, I was about to order a 2013 manual, why must there always be some problem?
lol...just a sign of the times, brother...don't know how to back-up?...we'll put in a camera...don't know how to check your blind spot?...we'll do it for you...don't know how to drive up a hill?...we'll do it for you...etc., etc...lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #51
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Terrible idea.. Why not just buy an auto if that is a real concern?
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:33 PM   #52
Fiveg56

Drives: -
I was riding with a friend in his 2013 M6 SS....from a stop sign on a steep hill...the "assist" held the car back as we tried to pull away...killed the car.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #53
Nightspore68

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL-1, Victory Red
I posted this in the ZL-1 forum, too. The hill assist on my 2013 does not disengage upon throttle application. I've learned to wait a half second or so then ride the clutch a bit until I can feel the brakes have released. Not ideal. You can also wait until you start moving in the wrong direction, but that defeats the purpose. If you're too eager to get moving, you'll stall or peel out.

It's too bad; I like the idea behind the feature. I'm hopeful Chevy will release a software update to fix the problem. After all, the owner's manual states that the brakes will be released upon throttle activation.

Last edited by Nightspore68; 08-23-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Nightspore68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #54
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
To the title of this thread and as far as my wife and I are concerned, such systems are needless and represent a clear step back.
Of our 90 years combined driving experience, the last 80 have been all but exclusively with manual transmission cars. Plenty of basis for opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K32 Camaro View Post
Terrible idea.. Why not just buy an auto if that is a real concern?
Because for some people, stepping down to an automatic transmission is a deal-breaker all by itself. Even if you like everything else about the car.

On more than one occasion, my wife and I have eliminated otherwise very good cars from consideration over their unavailability with manual transmission. This'll probably happen again.

Her 2010 Legacy 2.5GT (6MT) has a similar hill-hold feature, but at least Subaru left it up to the driver to activate the system by conscious choice. Neither of us has ever have turned it on other than from accidentally hitting its switch instead of one of the other nearby switches that we meant to hit instead. Probably never will choose to use it. Cars never needed to and simply shouldn't have to work that way.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #55
Jim968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightspore68 View Post
It's too bad; I like the idea behind the feature. I'm hopeful Chevy will release a software update to fix the problem. After all, the owner's manual states that the brakes will be released upon throttle activation.
The brakes definitely do NOT release upon throttle application, I just got done testing it on my car. It seems like they release upon slow clutch engagement, or perhaps forward motion. Release the clutch too fast and you'll beat the brake release and stall the car. A fix or a way to disable the system is definitely needed here.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #56
SnowVert

Drives: Inferno Orange 2013 SS/RS LS3 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
I was riding with a friend in his 2013 M6 SS....from a stop sign on a steep hill...the "assist" held the car back as we tried to pull away...killed the car.
I resemble that remark... I was really hoping this wouldn't be the case, but having owned manuals nearly exclusively for the past 21 years, I should have not stalled it fighting the damn hill assist. If you recall attempt #2 resulted in that lovely burning clutch smell as it had to fight the damn system again...
SnowVert is offline   Reply With Quote