Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-11-2017, 09:16 PM   #1
djrasras

Drives: 2010 2LT Bumblebee
Transmission Upgrade/ Replacement

So ever since day 1 of owning my 2010 LLT, I've had grinding issues when both up and down-shifting to 1st and 2nd gear. Going back to a stock clutch and switching to royal purple tranny fluid has helped a tiny bit, and I am aware that the stock shifting will provide better leverage (I currently have a Barton short throw), however this problem has been getting worst over the years and I feel like I am at the point where it would make more sense to swap the tranny then to rebuild. My questions is, should I swap with another GM stock tranny, or are there any upgrades available?
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
djrasras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:10 PM   #2
djrasras

Drives: 2010 2LT Bumblebee
bump
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
djrasras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:32 PM   #3
Sleepy

Drives: 2011 LS M6 SW
The problem seems to be the spacing between 1st and 2nd gear is too much for performance driving. Combine that with short shifter give very little time for synchros to match a large amount of rpm hence the grinding. There are a few different gear ratios for Aisin AY6. The two close ratios that I find interesting are from Cadillac CTS with MV7 gear set and Lexus IS with RA62 transmission. MV7 will be better match with 3.45 rear diff from camaro SS. RA62 will be more suitable with 1LE 3.91 diff.

Note: Aisin is partially owned by Toyota. Both Toyota RA62 and RA60 are the same design as Aisin AY6 from Camaro v6. RA60 is from Tacoma and it isn't close ratio like RA62.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #4
fnhowe84

Drives: 2018 Hotwheels M6 & 2010 1LE V6 M6
shes alive!

so what would be the better solution with rebuilding of this ay6 gearbox?
Old 05-05-2020, 07:14 PM   #5
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
TR6060 swap with a bellhousing for an ATS-V LF4 in theory. I've thought about this for years but haven't gotten to it yet. Too busy.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 01:34 PM   #6
fnhowe84

Drives: 2018 Hotwheels M6 & 2010 1LE V6 M6
well problem is i spent a ton of money on a new fly and clutch so a swap probably isnt an option for me.

im looking at this ay6 variant from the cts (mv5,mv7) thats supposedly supposed to have the better internals in the gearbox. i just cant find any good information