Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 03-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
Top Off

Drives: 2012 LS3 1SS/RS Vert
First drive with the top down

Bought the car back at the end of December. Between work, weather, and road salt. Today was the first time we had the top down and also drove it. This is my first convertible, and both myself and wife loved it. We were surprised how quiet it is, even at 80 with the top down. Really looking forward to nice days.
Now for the bad part. I have read through almost all of the posts. I can't find it, but seem to remember a photo showing the back of the top not being close to the trunk when down. I looked at mine before putting the top up, and it touches at both sides. I can push it down below the lip, but it still looks like it is touching it. Am I correct to assume I will need to have this fixed? I saw the rumours about another "new/corrected" top coming out in April. My car is a very early build 2012. I believe it was July 2011.

Still was great to get out and enjoy the car as it was meant to be.
Top Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
walters477

Drives: white 2012 2SS
Put the tonneau cover on, it keeps the top from touching the car and also keeps the wind from flapping it around
walters477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Convertible L99
I also bought my Camaro in Dec. Yesterday I was +10 out, and I driving topless fo h first time as well!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AbsoluteMayheM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Top Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by walters477 View Post
Put the tonneau cover on, it keeps the top from touching the car and also keeps the wind from flapping it around
I have a 1ss, so still need to buy the tonneau. The problem is that the rub comes from the end of the lowering and start of the raising of the top. Just something that will have to get looked at.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
Cheryls_Inferno_Conv

Drives: 2012 IOM 2ss Vert, 1966 MGB
Had mine out for the first time too last week!
Attached Images

Cheryls_Inferno_Conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
Top Off

Very nice
Old 03-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
motorhead2011

Drives: 2011 IPC,2014 GT500
My camaros first drive with the top down was today.My daughter took it out.I have yet to drive it with the top down but it will happen soon.
motorhead2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
my convertible has been driven a total of 3 times with the top up.

all 3 times was because it was raining..

since I bought it last August, top is down anytime I am in it, temp as low as 34° and as high as 104°

Day or Night, only time the top is up is when it is raining or parked.

this is my first convertible, though I have always had sunroofs or t-tops.. I love driving with the top down, but then again I have spent most of my life on street bikes...
Old 03-17-2013, 02:08 AM   #9
Top Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
my convertible has been driven a total of 3 times with the top up.

all 3 times was because it was raining..

since I bought it last August, top is down anytime I am in it, temp as low as 34° and as high as 104°

Day or Night, only time the top is up is when it is raining or parked.

this is my first convertible, though I have always had sunroofs or t-tops.. I love driving with the top down, but then again I have spent most of my life on street bikes...
Not the same as being on a bike, but still pretty cool. 34? Guessing you have heated seats.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Top down life is the best.

Do be careful putting the top down below the water freezing temp(32). If there is water (ice) in your water bag you can get a broken rear window and/or 5th bow. (Warning replay from a dealer friend)
Old 03-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #11
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
I'm in Florida and more than 70% of my driving is top down! Rain of course is top up time. Some winter days are a bit too chilly for my florida blood. Summertime here is when most of my top up driving kicks in. 95 degrees with 90% humiditity. No need to sweat my arse off anymore. Too old for that and I don't want to sweat stain my seats.

May you have MANY top down days in your future!
Old 03-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #12
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Off View Post
Not the same as being on a bike, but still pretty cool. 34? Guessing you have heated seats.

yup heated seats.

yeah not the same as being on a bike, but close enough.. I don't ride much anymore so this was my compromise to that.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #13
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Send some warm weather here! Usually march isn't to bad here, we are way below the normal temps. So much for global warming

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #14
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Off View Post
Bought the car back at the end of December. Between work, weather, and road salt. Today was the first time we had the top down and also drove it. This is my first convertible, and both myself and wife loved it. We were surprised how quiet it is, even at 80 with the top down. Really looking forward to nice days.
Now for the bad part. I have read through almost all of the posts. I can't find it, but seem to remember a photo showing the back of the top not being close to the trunk when down. I looked at mine before putting the top up, and it touches at both sides. I can push it down below the lip, but it still looks like it is touching it. Am I correct to assume I will need to have this fixed? I saw the rumours about another "new/corrected" top coming out in April. My car is a very early build 2012. I believe it was July 2011.

Still was great to get out and enjoy the car as it was meant to be.
I personally believe that when the fabric touches the frame after the roof is lowered, then it's rubbing against the frame while it's flapping in the wind. I'm on my 2d top being replaced due to "wear marks" at the exact spots where the fabric was touching the frame. Over time, it "flaps" so much that it starts to wear into the material. With this latest replacement, it took 8 months before the material started to touch the frame. Don't know why; maybe a periodic adjustment is necessary?
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote