Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 04-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
xaviercb33

Drives: 2010 camaro RS
broke the oil filter cap

While doing my first oil change on my Camaro yesterday, the 24 mm head snapped off the oil filter cap while trying to remove it. i think the dealer left it to tight and i was removing it with the torque wrench, now the old filter is inside and now cant take it off, how much the replacement cap will cost? any suggestions i need to use my car today? please help

thanks in advance
xaviercb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
If still closed and sealed, just add new oil to fill level until you can get time to remove and replace it and new filter then. You will be fine.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
xaviercb33

no its not sealed, the whole cap of the cover broke so theres a hole, i just started my car now and the filter when off that hole, and i turned off so quick, i have to take it to the d3ealer? or can i replace the part? its so hard to remove
Old 04-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
xaviercb33

and the oil when up in that hole , can i take the cap off or shall i take it to the dealer, i cant start the car now because the new oil is inside, can i fix it or shall i take it to the dealer
Old 04-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
VQ35DE

Drives: 2013 / 2SS / RS / L99
Just get a new cap from dealer. Use a filter wrench to break the broken cap loose.
VQ35DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Correct. Remember, lefty loosey, roghty tighty.

Get the old one off and delaer will have a new one.

Good luck!
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaviercb33 View Post
While doing my first oil change on my Camaro yesterday, the 24 mm head snapped off the oil filter cap while trying to remove it. i think the dealer left it to tight and i was removing it with the torque wrench, now the old filter is inside and now cant take it off, how much the replacement cap will cost? any suggestions i need to use my car today? please help

thanks in advance

Hello xaviercb33,

Sorry you're having this issue with your oil filter cap right now. Have you been able to fix this issue yourself yet or were you going to take it to a dealer? I would be happy to help get you into a dealer to fix this issue for you. I would just need your name, number and zip code, which you can private message me and I will locate a dealer near you if you don't already have a dealer preference.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-30-2014, 10:28 AM   #8
starbase

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS SIM
I was unable to remove the oil filter housing while trying to do my first V6 oil change this weekend. i used the 24mm socket and a bar on the ratchet to increase leverage. The cap was on so tight that I broke the ratchet trying to remove it.

We took it to the dealer and they gave us a free oil change. They said the cap came off without a problem. Not sure how they did it unless they have more powerful tools.

We told them to only torque the cap to the 18 lbs. I tried this morning to turn the cap a fraction to loosen it to be sure it wasn't too tight again. I couldn't budge it. I wonder if it could be that the engine is cold. Could it be that since the car is driven 10 miles to the dealer, the heat loosens the cap just enough. I'm going to try loosening it after driving it later to test the theory. Never had these kinds of problems with any other cars that use a standard metal canister filter
starbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
starbase

I warmed up the engine and tried loosening the oil filter cap again. I was unable to move it with the ratchet. I then tried my tire lug wrench that happened to have the same sized socket. I was able to loosen the cap! I never thought I'd be so happy to loosen a cap. I broke two socket wrenches doing this.

To remember for my next oil change -
Warm the engine.
Use the tire lug wrench to start loosening the oil filter cap.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #10
J-vette

Drives: '14 1le
Is the v6 engine different or is it all the camaros. I have yet to do a oil change but when I looked underneath mine it looked like it would be a normal oil change.
J-vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
starbase

The V6 oil filter is different from the V8. The oil filter housing is a silver colored case on the driver side of the engine. It's easily accessible when you know how to unscrew it.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #12
J-vette

Drives: '14 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase View Post
The V6 oil filter is different from the V8. The oil filter housing is a silver colored case on the driver side of the engine. It's easily accessible when you know how to unscrew it.
Oh ok thx for the info.
J-vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #13
Forsythe72

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro
I did the same thing to my cap last night. Sheared it right off. Now I can't get it off at all....

Last edited by Forsythe72; 07-29-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Forsythe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #14
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
When got my car a month ago I wanted to be sure I had the right sized wrench. I thought a 15/16 was the right size. Maybe that's close to 24mm. Anyway I do remember mine being on very tight but I was able to loosen it a tad. I have since had it changed at the dealer so I'll have to see how tight it is now.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote