Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions > Guides, Manuals, Bulletins, Documentation Archive

Old 10-07-2008, 07:21 PM   #43
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
What is the difference between SS1 and SS2 equipment wise? Is that L99 and LS3 or something?
The chart in the first post show's most of the differences. The LS3 is simply the V8 engine and comes with a manual transmission while the L99 is a modified version with AFM (works as a 4 cylinder under low loads) that comes with the automatic transmission.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:25 PM   #44
16yearoldcamarodriver
Advanced Senior Member

Drives: Mercedes ML350 '06
Yo, thanks a ton dude. Really helps to know what I'm gonna get in my 'Maro...but still doesn't help about the prices.

16yearoldcamarodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #45
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro (Sookie)
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal View Post
The chart in the first post show's most of the differences. The LS3 is simply the V8 engine and comes with a manual transmission while the L99 is a modified version with AFM (works as a 4 cylinder under low loads) that comes with the automatic transmission.
I still am not able to differentiate the 2. If SS2 and SS1 are the same drive train then why have the 2 different ones? I'm still not getting it.

Seems like SS1 and 2 are the same thing except the appearance. Seems fine to me except the leather part. I guess I'm getting an SS2.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #46
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
I still am not able to differentiate the 2. If SS2 and SS1 are the same drive train then why have the 2 different ones? I'm still not getting it.

Seems like SS1 and 2 are the same thing except the appearance. Seems fine to me except the leather part. I guess I'm getting an SS2.
SS1 and SS2 are simply trim levels like you'll find for any car.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #47
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:

They are the same car. 2SS just has more options included.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:59 PM   #48
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:

Okay, drivetrains:

L99 is the LS3 with AFM (Active Fuel Management, which is the thing that turns off half your cylinders when the power isn't needed), and this engine is what you get if you order an automatic SS..... whether you get the SS1 or SS1, if you get the automatic in either, you get the L99

LS3 is the, uh, well, LS3 - which is what you get if you order a manual SS1 or SS2, you get the LS3 WITHOUT AFM.

Okay, trims:

SS1 - the base SS (cloth, no interior accent lights, no BA sound system, no heated leather seats)

SS2 - the loaded SS (leather, interior accent lights, BA sound system, heated leather seats)

So, in review ---- say it with me class:

SS1 with automatic, you get the L99
SS1 with manual, you get the LS3

SS2 with automatic, you get the L99
SS2 with manual, you get the LS3
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:57 PM   #49
One Mean Chevy
Future Vette Owner (201?)

Drives: A Mobile Road Block
:upset::upset:

I can only get the
4pack gauges
interior accent lights
Stripes
Inferno Orange interior

Unless I get leather. :upset::upset: I DO NOT want leather. Leather cracks and is damaged easily or has Leather gotten better.

Ok, I have gotten that out of my system. Maybe this will change. Or, can I do a custom order?

Last edited by One Mean Chevy; 10-08-2008 at 11:10 PM.
One Mean Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #50
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Mean Chevy View Post

I can only get the
4pack gauges
interior accent lights
Stripes
Inferno Orange interior

Unless I get leather. :upset::upset: I DO NOT want leather. Leather cracks and is damaged easily or has Leather gotten better.

Ok, I have gotten that out of my system. Maybe this will change. Or, can I do a custom order?
If it is indeed true... do like i am going to do.. trade your leather seats for someones cloth...
Old 10-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #51
punkdrum01

Drives: 1999 z28 Vert Black/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
They need to have the 1SS available with some of the features from the 2SS as options. Looks like there could be a 3-4k difference between the two.

I totally agree.......I want an SS w/leather, ambient lighting, and the BA system, that is all..... and now this thing is telling me the ONLY way I can do that is upgrade to a 2SS and pay another 3K (estimate) for a bunch of crap I don't need???? I dont understand why I can't get just the leather package added to the 1SS. I totally understand the need to bundle options to keep costs down, I just think GM should do better than a just two packages per trim level, especially on the SS.
punkdrum01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #52
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Mean Chevy View Post

I can only get the
4pack gauges
interior accent lights
Stripes
Inferno Orange interior

i have used my truck for work and gotten mud, concrete, plaster, and paint on my seats and you would never know. Leather doesnt crack, vinyl does though. and now you cant get it custom without.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #53
headpunter

i think so big of a step between the two is a great thing, i think it shows that they are going to sell the 2ss at a closer price to the 1ss to make people want to spend a little bit more and get the 2ss over the 1ss
Old 10-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #54
The Project
Don't Mess with the Zohan

Drives: 89 IROC
Time to start saving up for spring.
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
The Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #55
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkdrum01 View Post
I totally agree.......I want an SS w/leather, ambient lighting, and the BA system, that is all..... and now this thing is telling me the ONLY way I can do that is upgrade to a 2SS and pay another 3K (estimate) for a bunch of crap I don't need???? I dont understand why I can't get just the leather package added to the 1SS. I totally understand the need to bundle options to keep costs down, I just think GM should do better than a just two packages per trim level, especially on the SS.

You think you're mad at this, go to a Toyota dealer and get ANY of their cars with leather...... you have to get all the bells, whistles, kitchen sink, garbage can, and sump pump. Even the extra float you'll never use.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #56
headpunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
You think you're mad at this, go to a Toyota dealer and get ANY of their cars with leather...... you have to get all the bells, whistles, kitchen sink, garbage can, and sump pump. Even the extra float you'll never use.
its 3k dollars... car loan wise its not alot....