Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > New Member Introductions

Old 08-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
coupesX2

Drives: 2002 Monte Carlo
New Member & Just Ordered

Hey Everyone!

My post will be like many I have read lately. I am a long time lurker on this site, and I decided to join since I ordered today.

My background:

(Far Past) I am a long time GM fan. My first car was an old, but cool (In-line 6) Chevy Nova. (I still love that body style!)

(Past) I saw the Camaro concept when they first aired it on television and thought that looks AMAZING! However, I never thought I would own one :( since this was right after the divorce.....and, you know how divorces go.Anyway, I discovered this site while researching Camaros, and I started saving my money. (What do I do with my Monte?) My oldest son turns 16 next week, and after having him sign a driving contract, (And, no, I'm not a lawyer, but a proud, protective father and teacher by trade.) I promised him my 2002 Monte Carlo (190 HP V6). (My oldest son might not have gotten my Monte if it were only a manual transmission----Oh, who am I kidding? I'm getting a Camaro!!!!!) And, please don't think I have left my youngest son out. He will get something when he comes of age---but NOT my Camaro!!!!

(Future) In October, I will be sleeplessly looking out at my Red Jeweled 2LT. (FYI: I have a 50 mile round trip drive to educate the young; so, this will be my DD.)

By the way, THANK YOU all for all of the VERY helpful information on this site.

Best Regards!
coupesX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
A driving contract? That entails what exactly? Congrats on the purchase though.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Welcome and congrats
Old 08-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
coupesX2

LOL, thanks.

My driving contract was something I drew up making my easily distracted teenage son promise not to use the cell phone, text, or Facebook (Just kidding), etc, while driving.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #5
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
I'm not trying to go against your idea here... but how do you plan to enforce that? I guess if there were ways to ensure something like that could work, more parents should probably be doing it (like me when the kids grow up). The "rebel as a kid" in me is seeing loopholes though.

Anyway, when you get the car you NEED to post photos.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
ComayroLouver
{Enter Funny User Title}

Drives: Fathers '85 CJ-7 until i get my LS
Send a message via AIM to ComayroLouver
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
I'm not trying to go against your idea here... but how do you plan to enforce that? I guess if there were ways to ensure something like that could work, more parents should probably be doing it (like me when the kids grow up). The "rebel as a kid" in me is seeing loopholes though.

Anyway, when you get the car you NEED to post photos.
im not sure if i read the OP right but if its a manual than it makes it a little more difficult :/ but ur still right xD lol
ComayroLouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
coupesX2

Will do (post pics).

The contract is just a way for me to let him know what I expect from him and the consequences (taking away the keys) for not attending to the task at hand...driving a ton and a half piece of metal. (Social networking is for a stationary house As far as enforcing, I have lots of "spies" (friends and family) on the road. I guess I should mention that the Monte Carlo is YELLOW, lol. Everyone around knows the car well. Having said all of that though, he is a REALLY good son and with him he does better (like most kids) if you just tell him here's what you need to do, and here's why you need to do it.

Time will tell if my idea is worthy or worthless
Old 08-11-2010, 10:38 PM   #8
1sgret

Drives: 2007 Corvette, 1975 Corvette
Welcome!
1sgret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
Bonemaro

Drives: 2010 RJT 1SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Bonemaro
Welcome, and nice idea with the contract. Why not, it sounds like a lesson in responsibility and honesty. Good job
Bonemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:02 AM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in them...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's and wive's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #11
lets_go_bills

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM M6
Cool story and welcome. I'm in the same boat as you, ordered a 2LT and should be taking delivery of it come October. Can't wait!
lets_go_bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #12
ZAPSSRS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Just beware that if you make it to the 5fest and are were not modding by then, you will after the 5Fest.
Kooks LT 1 7/8 Catted Headers / Kooks Full Exhaust, Roto-Fab CAI / Radiator Cover / Engine Covers, Billet Engine Bay Accesories, Hurst Shifter, Heritage Grill, Vengeance Stage II Cam / Tune, Eibach Coils, G2 Painted Calipers, Tinted Windows
ZAPSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #13
3CamarosOnHand

Drives: 2010 SS/RS ABM
Welcome to the obsession CoupesX2!!

I make a 50 mile round trip to educate the young too . I teach Kindergarten and believe me there is nothing like parking your Camaro amongst the minivans in the teacher's parking lot

3OnHand
3CamarosOnHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #14
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
There are systems that place a camera in the car as well as a GPS tracker that works whenever the car is in motion. There is real time video of what is happening in the car and you are notified of moving violations and screw ups. If you are worried about your son, this is a great system. http://www.mobileteengps.com/ or http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/saf...6/article.html

A friend of the family has one of these in his son's car, and it has kept the (very irresponsible kid) out of trouble and in check. I do not sell or promote any of these systems, just throwing it out there.