Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 11-12-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
Sierra

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
Remember

Olds 442s
Buick Grand Nationals
Monte Carlo SS

The Chevy 454 SS truck?

I loved these 80s vehicles

GM had balls back in the day. At least they are growing a new pair back with the rebirth of the new Camaro.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
dieseldave24v
PowerStroke this Ford boy

Drives: Like Don Garlits "Big Daddy"
I sure do, but I dont think it is fair to say GM lost its balls. I think it is fair to say that federal emisions regualtions chopped there balls off. Everyone will have a differnt opinion on this I am sure. The feds killed the cars we love not the manufactures!
dieseldave24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
The sad thing is people cant see it and the car companies wont do anything about it. IT being CAFE, and how it does nothing to help the consumer. The Auto industry shouldnt need the 10 billion in loans to develop cars that are beyond what we have now. CAFE is wrecking the american auto industry and helping wreck the US economy while its at it.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
Sierra

Ok take away the power, they also killed some of those vehicles with styling. New generation olds, chevy style for those models stunk. except the truck of course. Im biased on that. But this is just my opinion. i do miss those cars.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
dieseldave24v
PowerStroke this Ford boy

Drives: Like Don Garlits "Big Daddy"
I could be way off here and I am sure I am, but maybe it had to do with more regulations for saftey and strength. It took years to be able to develope a good looking car that met all the saftey requirments. There is no factual information here, just a guess.
dieseldave24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:17 PM   #6
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldave24v View Post
I could be way off here and I am sure I am, but maybe it had to do with more regulations for saftey and strength. It took years to be able to develope a good looking car that met all the saftey requirments. There is no factual information here, just a guess.
And with safety comes weight, and with weight comes less mpg...Maybe we can find a way to blame this on SUV's (I despise most lol, plus the dumb people that drive them and don't use their blinkers, or mirrors) If a car didnt have to take a hit from the gagillion SUV's on the road the regs might be lower.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #7
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
And with safety comes weight, and with weight comes less mpg...Maybe we can find a way to blame this on SUV's (I despise most lol, plus the dumb people that drive them and don't use their blinkers, or mirrors) If a car didnt have to take a hit from the gagillion SUV's on the road the regs might be lower.
i've drove SUVs and trucks all my life (except the festiva for two months) and i've seemed to have only been hit by small cars. go figure.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I trust people in trucks, the SUV population here however, are women that can't practically see over the steering wheel. Now I suppose I'm going to get shit from the women on the boards lol... My point however, is that the safety regs wouldn't be as high if it werent for heavy ass suv's, etc.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:03 AM   #9
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Well I agree, and disagree. I owned for 16 years (and really miss) a blue '84 Monte Carlo SS. Now don't get me wrong, loved the car, especially it looks and is "old school" heritage. A body-on-frame rear drive V8 that was built to qualify the new aerodynamic nose for NASCAR racing just like the old days. I was also always impressed by it's handling, for a realtively large/tall car it was quite fun to toss it around.
Let's take a look back: 190 HP High Output L69 305, turbo 350 three speed auto, just under 8 sec. 0-60/just under 16 sec. Qtr mi. at about 95MPH, and 13 MPG around town/18 MPG highway. And BION it was one of the fastest cars in its day.
We've come a long way since then, and like it or not CAFE played a role in it. Given the proper incentives they delivered ~400 hp cars that can get near 30 MPG on the highway. Just about ANY vehicle with a V6 these days would blow the doors of my old Monte.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #10
Sierra

Its just about walking down memory lane. To think all of the horses the new Camaro will put out with an mpg in the mid 20s. I think thats very sweet. I gm is in a money crunch right now but I for one cant wait to see what they put out in the future.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:28 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The late 70's and 80's were some of the most pathetic times for engines. Back then it was for emissions mostly. hopefully it wont be like that in 2020.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote