Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-31-2012, 10:57 AM   #43
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cterry View Post
PM sent

yes, think your right. haha. I am just happy someone from GM is monitoring this section and reaching out. I have an e-mai into the service manager now to see if they forgot the thrust washers. Doubt they will admit it, but I will keep you posted.
Why did they replace the axles? Was it because of the noise? And if so, was it the same noise as the video? And if so, I'd try and make sure you are there to watch them take the hubs off.

Not that it will solve anything but might tell you that, coupled with their apparent bad attitude, you might want to find another dealer.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #44
cterry
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2010 Carmaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Why did they replace the axles? Was it because of the noise? And if so, was it the same noise as the video? And if so, I'd try and make sure you are there to watch them take the hubs off.

Not that it will solve anything but might tell you that, coupled with their apparent bad attitude, you might want to find another dealer.
I originally took it in in May of last year for the issue. They messed with it and couldn't find the problem. I searched the site and found the one original thread the issue, and told them to check the axle nuts. The next day they called me up and said its all fixed, but if I had the issue again to let them know and they will replace the axles. All they did was torque them down at that time. The click happens when I rock it back and forth like you did in your video, but my sound seems to be a "lighter" click noise.
They got back to me and the tech is out this week, so looks like I will have to wait till next week to get it resolved which is fine, cause I don't feel like taking my 3 piece wheels off again to take it in. ( they screwed two of them up the 1st time)
cterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #45
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
I originally took it in in May of last year for the issue. They messed with it and couldn't find the problem. I searched the site and found the one original thread the issue, and told them to check the axle nuts. The next day they called me up and said its all fixed, but if I had the issue again to let them know and they will replace the axles. All they did was torque them down at that time. The click happens when I rock it back and forth like you did in your video, but my sound seems to be a "lighter" click noise.
They got back to me and the tech is out this week, so looks like I will have to wait till next week to get it resolved which is fine, cause I don't feel like taking my 3 piece wheels off again to take it in. ( they screwed two of them up the 1st time)
What is your vin#? Not the whole number but the number in line that it was produced.

If it's first 94k then you are missing the washers unless they put them on.

And the click can manifest differently. Sounds like you have the problem.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:18 PM   #46
cterry
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2010 Carmaro SS/RS
Quote:
What is your vin#? Not the whole number but the number in line that it was produced.

If it's first 94k then you are missing the washers unless they put them on.

And the click can manifest differently. Sounds like you have the problem.
My last four is 8260. Ordered 10/14/2008. I kept telling them its an early production car and that was the issue, but they apparently they did not listen.

They contacted the tech, and YUP, NO washers put on.
All the info I gave them and they obviously did not even read it. They are going to order the parts and have them ready, so hopefully only be there for a day. I would just get the parts from them and do it myself, but now that they have messed with it, I would rather it be documented incase I have further issues. I will keep you posted and hopefully this will prevent others from going thru all this grief over such an easy fix.
cterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:27 PM   #47
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
My last four is 8260. Ordered 10/14/2008. I kept telling them its an early production car and that was the issue, but they apparently they did not listen.

They contacted the tech, and YUP, NO washers put on.
All the info I gave them and they obviously did not even read it. They are going to order the parts and have them ready, so hopefully only be there for a day. I would just get the parts from them and do it myself, but now that they have messed with it, I would rather it be documented incase I have further issues. I will keep you posted and hopefully this will prevent others from going thru all this grief over such an easy fix.
Oh I'm with you. If I had a warranty I'd have them do it.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #48
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
PQ, thank you very much for this DIY. I did this project after work tonight and it only took me about 2 hours to complete both sides from start to finish. The clicking is finally gone!!!!! I still have a warranty but i decided to undertake this project myself to learn more about the rear end components and not waste a day of my car being at the dealer. It only cost me $16 for the 2 washers and 2 new nuts. The only problem I ran into was the hubs were very stubborn coming off the axles. Luckily i found my puller it made quick work of those hubs. Your video was very helpful. Thank you.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #49
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtrimpi87 View Post
PQ, thank you very much for this DIY. I did this project after work tonight and it only took me about 2 hours to complete both sides from start to finish. The clicking is finally gone!!!!! I still have a warranty but i decided to undertake this project myself to learn more about the rear end components and not waste a day of my car being at the dealer. It only cost me $16 for the 2 washers and 2 new nuts. The only problem I ran into was the hubs were very stubborn coming off the axles. Luckily i found my puller it made quick work of those hubs. Your video was very helpful. Thank you.

Glad it was useful to you. My hub was a bitch too.

My neighbor was going to get his puller when I got it off. LOL
Old 06-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #50
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
I just started getting a rear end clicking when turning into the driveway.
Could this be the thrust washers? Vin ending in 6199.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #51
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
I just started getting a rear end clicking when turning into the driveway.
Could this be the thrust washers? Vin ending in 6199.
Not sure on the V6. Usually it's a problem with applying load and not by hitting bumps and dips.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #52
PQ
Booooosted.

Actually it does effect the V6 as well.

So yours is missing the washers for sure. Yours was built before mine.

Click could be the washers.

But it doesn't click due to bumps and dips. Just when taking off from a stop or putting load on the drive line.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #53
TooCool5

Quote:
Actually it does effect the V6 as well.

So yours is missing the washers for sure. Yours was built before mine.

Click could be the washers.

But it doesn't click due to bumps and dips. Just when taking off from a stop or putting load on the drive line.
Anyone have the service bulletin so I could read it? Mine was built in July 2009.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #54
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Anyone have the service bulletin so I could read it? Mine was built in July 2009.
Your car was built before July. My car arrived at my dealer on May28th 2009 and my vin is #9067. I picked my car up on June 1st. Your car was built before mine. I"m guessing early may.

Doesn't matter though because it effected almost the first 100k were without the thrust washers according the the TSB.

Here is the best I can find.

#09-04-95-001A: Clicking Type Noise from Rear of Vehicle When Shifting Between Reverse and Drive or on Hard Acceleration (Add Washer to Wheel Drive Shaft) - (Feb 19, 2010)

Subject:Clicking Type Noise From Rear of Vehicle When Shifting Between Reverse and Drive or on Hard Acceleration (Add Washer to Wheel Drive Shaft)

Models:2010 Chevrolet Camaro
Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint A9194726 (V8 Engine) or A9194723 (V6 Engine)

This bulletin is being revised to provide VIN breakpoint information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin 09-04-95-001 (Section 04 -- Driveline/Axle).
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2404116&from=sm#ss1-2404116">Condition

Some customers may comment on a clicking type noise coming from the rear of the vehicle when shifting between reverse and drive or on a hard acceleration.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2404116&from=sm#ss2-2404116">Correction

Add a washer between the rear wheel drive shaft and the bearing hub assembly using the procedure listed below.
  1. <LI type=1>Remove the rear wheel bearing and hub assembly. Refer to Rear Wheel Bearing and Hub Replacement in SI.
    This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1355x1221.

<LI type=1>Install the washer (1) onto the rear wheel drive shaft (2) as shown above. <LI type=1>Install the rear wheel bearing and hub assembly. DO NOT re-use the wheel drive shaft nut - replace with a NEW nut only. Tighten
    Tighten the wheel drive shaft nut to 270N·m(199 lb ft).
  2. Repeat Steps 1 through 3 for the opposite side.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x923.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #55
TooCool5

Thanks, my actual buld date was 7/13/09. Maybe they revised additional vins.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #56
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Thanks, my actual buld date was 7/13/09. Maybe they revised additional vins.
Where did you get that info.

Not trying to argue.

But I know mine is #9067 and I picked it up on June 1st.

I think someone gave you wrong info. Had to. Unless yours was stuck in Area 51 QC hold and was considered 'Built' upon release.